Timefactor VS Smmh AND a DMM (or Echobox)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ben_allison, Jun 9, 2008.

1. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Ok, I love the SMMH. Great for all kinds of delay duties and great tone. The one thing that really disappoints me is the modulation. So, I'm thinking about adding a second delay that does have great modulation for times when I'm playing ambient passages.

Enter the Deluxe Memory Man. It is the champion of this. So I thought about just adding that to the lineup. Then I see the Subdecy Echobox. Wow. Perfect. Smaller foot print and will also sound great.

But then I got to thinking: instead of buying a second delay, why not just sell the Smmh and get a Timefactor? It has great modulation and can do cool reverby things. Seems like it would cover my "U2-esque" demands as well as my thick, ambient, volume-swelly demands.

The critical point for me is this: does the Timefactor have mojo that would compete with the Smmh and DMM? I'm worried that it's just a computer in a box and will sound that way.

Here's the pro's I can see regarding everything each unit:

Smmh and DMM/Echobox wins
    :
    live tweakability
    more cool things to look at on my board
    if one delay breaks down, I still have another

Timefactor wins:
    MIDI switchability (huge when I get a MIDI loop switcher)
    software upgrades
    useful display
    smaller foot print than 2 delays

The deal maker/breaker for me is mojo and tone. It seems like in this area the Smmh/Dmm combo would the Timefactor beat -- preserves my undelayed tone well and creates delay that is organic. Maybe I'm wrong?

Delayheads, unite!

P.S. I don't care about bypassed tone because the delay is always in a true-bypass loop when not in use.

2. Belt

Belt Member

I am at a point where I want function over space. I have an Echolution, DE7, and I want to get another SMMH. I think the SMMH and DMM are all too useful. And have settings that you cannot find.

3. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

That's the thing. It seems like that undisputed king of organic modulated delays is the DMM.

Tone/function wins for me too. If I need two pedals to get it done, fine! I just get a bigger board. But if the Timefactor gets close tonally... well, then the other plusses it has make it a very close race.

4. Ming Chow

Ming Chow Senior Member

5. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Mojo is an organic, musical quality. For example, a Jay Turser Strat knock off into a PA system has no mojo. A 59 Strat into a 59 Bassman has mojo for days.

Mojo is the something extra that helps you feel the music and pulls you in.

6. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

ive got a TF and a DMM. i figure im covered in the mojo dept. :phones

7. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

hahaha. i'd imagine!

but if you had a smmh instead of the tf, would you be set?

or, what if you had just the tf and no dmm?

8. Belt

Belt Member

I've had a DD5, DD-20, DL4, Headrush E2, SMMH, Behr Vin delay, DE7, Echolution. Of all I've had, I like the SMMH and Echolution. I have a dedicated looper (rc2xl). For me now, it's all in the individual sound. I haven't tried the timefactor. It would be interesting to know if it can replace the DMM and SMMH though.

9. soundbee

soundbee Member

I've so many delays. For me the TF won. It just can't be beat in terms of features and sounds great. For live the TF wins. Studio (where you can sometimes hear a difference) you might want to keep the analog stuff around. Still I don't mind not having an analog delay on my board - it sounds that good.

10. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

i haven't had enough personal experience with the smmh to say for sure... what I can say is i'd miss either the TF or the DMM dearly, but for different reasons. Since we're throwing the word around, let me assure you, the TF has got the mojo. For digital its about as riveting and satisfying as it gets, in my experience at least. You'll be lost in it for weeks. But theres still something about the DMM that nothing else (smmh possibly excluded) really does for me. I dunno. Its like the TF is my real delay pedal and my DMM is just kinda my magical music box. They blend together really nicely too and if its ambiance you're after this combo would be tough to beat. I tend to think having a smmh & dmm might wind up being a bit redundant but I don't know.

If I were in your position, and I'm no expert but this is what my gut would say, sell the smmh and buy a DMM right now while they are still available since they are going to be discontinued as we know them in the relatively near future. Then save up for the TF if you're still set on it. The TF will be there but the clock is ticking on the DMM. Also I also have no personal experience with the echobox so I can't comment on that.

I dunno. Just my $.02, good luck finding the sound!

11. Belt

Belt Member

The SMMH cannot do what the DMM does IMHO.

12. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

i'm actually looking forward to the dmm coming out in their xo enclosure... assuming it sounds the same.

13. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The Timefactor does not have the "mojo" you are talking about - it is a great versatile delay that can do a ton of things, but it can't compete with a DMM for modulation/analog sounds.

14. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

15. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

In a perfect world, I would have a Timefactor for it's versatility, and wait for the XO Deluxe Memory Man for the lush analog goodness...

[​IMG]

16. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

digital isn't going to be able to compete with analog... this is obvious. but if you don't think the TF has mojo maybe you haven't tweaked it enough. the tape echo and vintage are just soaked with great tone. thats not even getting into the moddelay, filterpong, bandpass, reverse... different from a DMM, yes, of course, but still well worth being taken seriously imo.

and we all wait with baited breath to see how the XODMM turns out...

17. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The TF can get mojo, just not the analog mojo that the OP was talking about. After all, I own one! ;)

18. TimH

TimH Member

I've never had a TF...but I used to use a Nova Delay. I got rid of it and got an Echo Park and DMM and couldn't be more thrilled. I know the EP isn't the same an a SMMH but I feel I got the better deal and would think you'll get the same but getting the SMMH and DMM isntead of the TF.

19. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

The Echo Park sounded great. The reason I'll never buy Line 6 again is reliability.

I played it for 10 minutes... dead. They've had huge QC issues which bums me out because the Verbzilla and Echo Park are both great tonally.

Who knew such heavy pedals could be so fragile! When I hold one i feel like if I look at it wrong it'll just crumble.

20. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Speaking of Line6, I'm selling my DMM and keeping my Echo Park. Why? I'm a huge analog fan, but for the settings I use, the DMM & EP (on analog mode with mod) are virtually indistiquishable from one another... believe me, I was surprised! I didn't know just HOW good the EP was until I got a DMM. Plus, the EP can go longer of course. If the DMM had around 700ms of delay, I'd have kept IT instead of the EP. But tonally, virtually indistinguishable.

I read somewhere that the analog model on the EP is OF THE DMM... can anybody confirm?