Timeline... Changes guitar tone and feel?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ulbe, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ulbe

ulbe Member

I just got a timeline, and while I admit to not having read the whole manual, I'm feeling the tone of the guitar, and the touch and feel, change quite a bit... I'm talking about the original signal, not the dealys themselves.
    Am I missing a setting or something here?

2. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Member

Try switching from buffer to true bypass.

3. teleclem

teleclem Member

I actually like how it doesn't mess with my tone/feel.

4. foo_3001

foo_3001 Member

Had one for a tryout,

didnĀ“t buy for this exact reason.

Then again, almost every digital delay seems to do the same. TC Flashback is the only one that has a really good analog dry-through in my opinion.

5. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

:agree

6. telepunk

telepunk Member

It has to be this. The true bypass is just that...there's nothing effecting the signal.

7. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

That would only make a difference when the pedal is bypassed; OP's talking about when the pedal is engaged. :aok

With that said, I have no idea hay the OP's talking about as the TL is the only delay pedal I've played that DOESN'T jack with my tone when engaged.

8. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

I don't think it's clear...but he says the original signal, so I would think that would concern the dry signal when engaged and not engaged. :aok

9. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

This is my experience as well... Just goes to show that everyone's perception and hearing is different.

10. ulbe

ulbe Member

Yes, thats what I meant.... The original signal, when engaged. I'm wondering if I might be overloading the input. Nobody's experienced this?

11. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

If you are not happy with how your signal sounds when engaged, why not use something like a Suhr mini-mix?

I am thinking of doing something along those lines with my G-Major 2.

12. telepunk

telepunk Member

I have not experienced a problem with the dry signal when engaged. Sounds the same to me. And, most people have noted that is why they like the Timeline vs something like the Timefactor.

13. teleclem

teleclem Member

Yeah, seems interesting.

Could it be rig dependent as well?

14. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

With my rig, I can not perceive any negative effect on my tone at all.

15. ulbe

ulbe Member

I've been using this on my Hollowbody, so what I do is go from the guitar into a King of Tone (used only as a booster) into an EQ, then into the delay. I had an analog delay in the chain before, and now I'm trying the time line.

What I notice is a difference in the touch and a little in the high end. I'm aware of everyone's opinions on the Timeline, and how it keeps the tone pure (I have even seen a lot of their products on rigs of jazz guitarists). That's why I'm wondering if it might be a setting I'm overlooking.

The delay itself is bad ass, and to be perfectly honest, I just have not had enough time to explore all of the features, that's why I was asking if anyone here had the same issue I'm encountering.

16. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

If you perceive a change in tone when you turn it on...I would suggest you use the buffered mode, in which case you will have no difference in tone between on/off. If your rig does not have a buffered device, you will of course hear a difference in *any* buffered pedal being put in the chain as you will have restored your natural highs that you were losing. My 16 pedal board is buffered near the beginning and I leave the TL second to last in buffered mode (to do trails and maintain a consistant tone). It sounds pleasantly transparent to me...try an Eventide Timefactor if you want some awkward tone fumbling. :)

17. ulbe

ulbe Member

I hear what you are saying as far as the buffer, but I have an EQ and a Boost on always, so do I really need a buffer?

It almost feels like I'm clipping the pedal input, but there does not seem to be a way to adjust the input level on the device, right?

18. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

i think we need a sound clip or video. maybe you're just not into delay

19. ulbe

ulbe Member

Lol... I like delay a lot...

But let me see if I can post a comparison on you tube or something. I think the unit is bad ass, it's just the clean signal that I hear a bit different. It wouldn't hurt to record a clip even to just compare.

20. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

Why? It sounds like he's found all the awkward tone fumbling he needs from the Timeline! :stir

If someone has an issue with the TL, you trash another pedal to try to make the Timeline look better? Not cool.