• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

timeline dotted 8 problem cutting through

lonetone483

So I've been noticing that my U2 patches that I created on my timeline sound fantastic at home but when I play them live it just sounds like a big wash. The notes don't seem to have the same bounce or be dominant enough to create that signature the edge tone. I use to run a Nova delay before I got the timeline and it could get the same tone live and in the bedroom. Are any of you guys that play live noticing the same thing or something similar? I would really appreciate any feedback.....

treehouse1441

I notice this with my timefactor. I don't think it's the pedals maybe we just need to adjust our feedback for louder volumes.

baggas

I notice this with my timefactor. I don't think it's the pedals maybe we just need to adjust our feedback for louder volumes.

^^ This. A delay mix with clear audible repeats at home is never as obvious in a band setting. Turn up the mix/feedback setting.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
A bit more mix and you'll be ok. The room in your house is probably a lot less diffused your venue filled with people. Its the rooms reverb and the sound thats getting sucked up by people cloths that make a subtle tweak necessary.

Mr. Limbic

yep, try mix up, feedback down and reverb off...the feedback is just as important because playing into feedback will cause wash as well and this will happen even more with a more wet mix setting. I don't play U2 stuff but use the dotted 8th thing a lot for reggae/dub and house/4 on the floor arpeggios and I find that using a compressor works really well too bc of of the string balancing, slight tightening, and a little squashing of your sound to help the delays pronounce themselves. Also what algorithm are you using on the timeline? On my timefactor I use the digital setting for this as most of the other sounds sit more in the mix and/or create ambience/saturation

lonetone483

I was unaware the timeline had reverb in it. Where do I go to turn it off. I can't believe I missed that

mr.clueless

I was unaware the timeline had reverb in it. Where do I go to turn it off. I can't believe I missed that
I don't think the timeline has built in reverb. I would think the others here are referring to turning down the reverb of your amp / reverb pedals in your signal chain.

scholl4060

Silver Supporting Member
I had the same problem with my timeline as the OP. Mix up and repeats down will fix it.

keenan

Sounds like you need patches for at home and some other patches for w/ the band... good thing you get 100 ;)

Compressor before (or in the effects loop) might also help.

thesooze

You can also use the digital machine and reduce the low end with the hipass filter. Try about halfway up, and this will thin out the repeats, causing them to cut through a little bit more-- in my experience.

You can also use the digital machine and reduce the low end with the hipass filter. Try about halfway up, and this will thin out the repeats, causing them to cut through a little bit more-- in my experience.
+1. This is what I was gonna say. I always dial in super "warm" then realize I need to cut through when I'm playing live.

Michael_V

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Timeline but you're not going to sound like the Edge without two delays, two amps, and some math....

lonetone483

I completely agree but most of the places that I play are not big enough for a stereo rig. So I have to just stockbroker one amp and make it sound as huge and spacious as possible. Would it be better to try and get the sound using the dual delay mode or would the digital mode be just fine since I'm running mono.

I love my Timeline but you're not going to sound like the Edge without two delays, two amps, and some math....

Jamar

Silver Supporting Member
This.

thecrob19

. . . but when I play them live it just sounds like a big wash. The notes don't seem to have the same bounce or be dominant enough to create that signature the edge tone. . .
I'd say try a few of these things on the digital mode:

- Make sure the smear is all the way off.
- Try and have the Filter knob on the brighter side of things. (try 8-10 oclock?)
- Don't be afraid to turn the mix up (even as high as 3 oclock)
- Use the Low pass to make the repeats brighter (~200Hz?)
- Optional: turn the 'repeat dynamics' on then turn the feedback up

lonetone483

I'm going to try all these suggestions tonite. I think I'll be able to tell more or less which settings will be able to cut through I think with minimal tweaking live. I'll post my findings once I come up with something

Trending Topics

Top Bottom