Timeline Firmware Midi Controller Problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by anewstatic, Feb 2, 2012.

1. anewstatic

anewstatic Member

Like so many of you, I was so excited to see the new firmware update for the Timeline!! So many incredible updates. However, as I scrolled through my banks of presets on my midi controller, some of them shut the Timeline off!

I use a Musicomlab EFX MK III for midi with my Timeline. It worked wonderfully before I updated the firmware. Here's what's happening in more detail...

When I click on the Musicomlab Bank 2, patch 1, it works. When I click on patch 2, it works. But when I click on patch 3, the Timeline shuts off. When I click on patch 1 then patch 3, patch 3 works. I have no idea what midi transmission is being sent from my Musicomlab that's telling the Timeline to turn off at certain presets. I even reset the Musicomlab to the factory settings and tried changing the Timeline's midi control channel and it still happened. The strange thing is that this doesn't happen on Bank 1 or Banks 57-60.

The problem I was having made me revert back to v.1.14 of the Timeline which is still great, but nowhere near as awesome as the new one.

Did anyone else have issues with their midi controllers when switching to the newest firmware? I emailed Strymon but I'm not counting on them being able to help me, as they've stated in their FAQ that they cannot do much to help troubleshoot midi controllers.

HELP!

2. zwolf

zwolf Member

You probably already know this, but you should monitor what's being sent to your TL via Midi Monitor (free download for Mac). Make sure you have the TL set to MIDI through "on" in the global menu and then go from the MIDI out on your TL into your computer. MIDI monitor will track whatever's being sent to the TL. Your observations of unexpected CCs and whatnot may be then something you can talk to Strymon about.

Sorry about this bummer!

3. shuffle

shuffle Member

You will have to double check what CC message is being sent to the timeline from the patch on the musicom. It just may be that the factory preset on the musicom is sending a message that on the timeline means turn off. Factory settings for the musicom have CC messages in them, and the new timeline update has a value for off...

Could be that simple. Try changing the value sent and see what happens

4. thesooze

thesooze Member

5. guitarloverboy

guitarloverboy Member

Somehow my musicomlab EFX MKlll is midi synced with my Line 6-M9 on the first 6 banks of my MKlll (it did this automatically for some reason). I can't figure out how to get it to Midi sync on banks 7-60 though. Can someone please help me with this? Any advice would be much appreciated!

6. anewstatic

anewstatic Member

Thanks for that info, man!

7. anewstatic

anewstatic Member

This is what Rock Box told me when I emailed them about my problem. I'm newer to Midi so I didn't quite understand how to turn certain cc messages off? I only know how to program the program changes that engage the presets based off their number. The manual wasn't much help concerning cc messages, either.

8. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

why don't you call them up again and ask them how this is done. you paid for the unit so you deserve some support from them ;)

BUT ... a CC should not power-off a unit, unless it was specifically programmed for the device. either that or there is a bug that sending an invalid CC will reset the unit. now i'm interested to know what exactly the controller is sending to the TL!