Timeline/H9/Disaster Area MIDI Help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by j_m_s, Feb 12, 2015.

1. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Hi there,

I've been cracking my brains trying to make my set up work.

Basically I have a DMC2+ controlling my timeline, and I would like my timeline to then control the H9.

Eg. DMC2+ controls patch changes on timeline.

Bank 1 Preset 1 uses Preset 1 of H9
    Bank 1 Preset 2 uses Preset 5 of H9

So that means that when I activate B1P1 of the Timeline, Preset 1 of the H9 will be activated. Similarly when I activate B1P2 of the timeline, Preset 5 of the H9 will be activated.

Can anyone shed some light as to the procedure/how to go about setting this up?

Thanks
    James

2. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

I don't know much about the DMC2+, but from the page at the Disaster Area site, i'd be looking at the Mode 2 as it states:-

"Preset Scrolling Mode for a second device (control two devices with a single DMC-2+)"

These modes are different I think to traditional Midi controllers where you set a channel for each device and send PC and CC messages, which would be the ideal way I'd suggest to control the Timeline and H9. Of course the DMC-2+ does have some custom Strymon features so maybe Mode 2 is not the best bet.

Your best bet is to email Disaster Area support - they are excellent!

3. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Thanks! I did shoot them a mail using their site, still waiting on a reply. Was wondering if anyone else here had done the same and could help me out here!

4. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

No direct knowledge here, but I think you'd want the preset mode on the DMC3XL as a minimum. Not sure the 2+ is capable of really doing what you are asking- which is multi midi channel programmable PCs. I think the 2+ only does scrolling and banking, but I could be wrong. Thats just how it reads to me.

My guess is that you'll be looking at a different controller. I actually use 4 different midi controllers for different functions on my board these days.

5. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Not sure if the DMC2+ is capable of storing presets either, but if the H9 is capable of sending midi (like the *factor/Space) you could change the presets in the Timeline with the H9 only if you connect the H9 first in your MIDI chain.

So... DMC2+ -> H9 -> Timeline

Actually, you can remove the DMC2+ unit and send MIDI out of the H9 to your Timeline to change presets with the footswitches or change some stuff with the knobs as well.

I'm not 100% sure though, but do some research and try it by your self. I'm still discovering this 80s MIDI protocol and the Eventide products and I found them more than surprising.

6. thesauce

thesauce Member

You will have to change some settings on the H9 itself. Matt at disaster area walked me through it over the phone. Give him a call.