Timeline, MIDI, Ableton

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Lolasaurus, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

So I finally got an audio interface running up with a MIDI cable going into my timeline. Does anyone know how I can initiate midi CC's using keyboard shortcuts in ableton to toggle the hidden looper functions of the timeline?

I know:
    87 = record, 85 = stop, 86 = play, 94 = reverse, 95 = 1/2 speed, 89 = undo, 90 = redo
    Those are the ones I want to start off with.

Thanks

2. awdwon

awdwon Member

Basically, you just make a midi clip, clip envelopes (select the 'E' in the bottom left corner), select cc number from drop down menu, you can draw in the automation.

3. gurumonkey

gurumonkey Member

I'd highly recommend heading to forum.ableton.com you'll find far more helpful people there.

4. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

I tried, but the forums won't let me log on.
    I made 7 midi channels, each with an envelope setting corresponding to a CC value, gave each a velocity of 100%, raised that pink bar to the side, and mapped each to a certain keyboard number.
    The scenes trigger, but it does nothing to my timeline (which when I manually record on, always playsback in reverse).
    I set midi CC in the globals menu to on.

5. awdwon

awdwon Member

There's a lot of settings you have to get right so I can't begin to tell you where you're going wrong i.e. Ableton midi preferences, midi channel settings in Live and on the Timeline, record enabled on each midi track, midi out to the right channel in Live. The Timeline manual also says you can control loop parameters with midi note numbers with a velocity greater than zero, so you could just make a midi clip and draw in the note numbers, maybe less hassle?

6. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

Under preferences, I have the audio interface output's "Track" and "Remote" enabled; for each midi track the midi out is sent to the interface; everything involved is set to Midi channel 1.
    I'm not really set on either CCs or note #s
    I just want it so I can press "q" for record, "w" for play, "e" for stop, etc.; or for note numbers i guess it would go a,s,d, etc.

Still can't log on to the forums.

7. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

What is a timeline?

First of all, are you actually triggering the right notes with your computer keyboard?
    Did you check by using a built-in instrument and check to see if you can play it with your keyboard? Did you then check that you are hitting the right CC in the right octave?

Then check if the timeline is receiving ANY midi commands at all through the output.

8. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

I did some guessing+checking with the settings and managed to get it to work using note #s, not CCs; only have to set up one midi track and simultaneous recording so I can process audio too.
    It's set to the C (a), D(s), E(d), G(g), and A(h) for record, play, stop, undo, redo; +1 octave (x), D & E for reverse and speed change.
    Only issue is there's no way of telling what octave the computer midi keyboards in without starting up a separate simulation, but I'm satisfied.