timeline midi question about dmc3 & smartclock

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cdhenson, Feb 18, 2015.

1. cdhenson

cdhenson Member

Hey guys - quick question related the timeline. I've got a DMC-3 and would also like to add a midi tap tempo (like a quartz or a smartclock). This is possible to run both the dmc3 and the smartclock/quartz together via MIDI, correct? I'm a midi NEWB.

2. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Yes. You'll need whats call a midi merger- there's basically two on the market- one that is a dual merge and one that is a quad merge, and you can find them for them below list price if you are careful in your search.

I use a Midi Solutions Quadro Merge which can combine 4 midi devices into one midi output. But you can could use a Midi Solutions Midi Merger which has the ability to combine 2 midi inputs to one output. Its the same size, but a bit cheaper, and the midi jacks are in a different orientation than the Quadro.

I am using a DMC3, SmartCLOCK, Musicom Labs MkIV, and a custom DMC2 gen2 to handle various aspects of my midi control currently.

Personally, I always recommend the Quadro. Better to have a few unused inputs than to need more and not have them.

http://www.midi-store.com/Midi-Solutions-Quadra-Merge-p/301500.htm

http://www.midi-store.com/Midi-Solutions-Merger-p/301499.htm

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. cdhenson

cdhenson Member

So the DMC & the Quartz can't be daisy chained together in the same midi loop? I thought that was the point of midi?

4. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I am not sure if the Quartz can pass through the DMC3 signal, but generally I try to limit as many daisy chain connections as possible. Its a good question, you might have to check with Disaster Area design to make sure it works. The SmartClock was the last piece of midi gear I added, so it never even occurred to me to use it as a pass thru.

5. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Just go daisy chain to start. Daisy chaining is only a problem for me when it actually becomes a problem. I have a MIDI Solutions Merger in my rig for one specific reason, but mostly everything is daisy chained (7 devices). MIDI Solutions stuff is nice to have on hand though in any event.

6. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

According to its manual, the Quartz should be fine in a daisy-chain configuration. The SMARTClock is of course designed to work with any of our MIDI devices. Regardless of the tempo controller you choose you should be fine.