Timeline or Empress SDVM?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flavaham, Feb 6, 2012.

1. flavaham

flavaham Member

I'm looking to get one of these two pedals. They both list for $449 new, so which is better? The Strymon Timeline or the Empress Vintage Modified Super Delay?

2. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Having owned both, I can honestly say that the Timeline beats out the VMSD in more ways than one. Just a better overall sound, much more control over the parameters, digital BPM/MS readout, full midi implementation, more in depth looper, several more delay engines/modes, 200 presets compared to the VMSD's 8 presets... Just beats it out in every way but one - simplicity. If you want to keep things simple, yet have superior delay tones, the VMSD can't be beat. Other than that, the TL blows it away IMO.

3. teleclem

teleclem Member

+1. I've had both as well.

Oh, and in terms of resale, you'll lose a lot with the Empress. You won't with the TL.

4. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

I really believe there's room for both of these in the marketplace, actually... so the "better" debate really comes down to the user IMO. The TimeLine is obviously superior for those wanting multiple levels of control, an overwhelming number of presets, MIDI capability and the like. OTOH, the Superdelay should have more appeal for those wanting the "mega delay" experience without the hassle of submenus and such.

So yeah, really depends. And if you go with the SD, get one used. :aok

5. tibbon

tibbon Member

Both given 6 months will drop in resale value once supply catches up.

I think they are both great pedals, the real question is how complex of a delay you want operationally. Menus? Go Timeline. Grab and go? VMSD.

6. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

6 months from now? Or 6 months from release?

7. snouter

snouter Member

Had both also. Love the VMSD, but the TimeLine is tops in terms of features and the feel of what many people do not appreciate, the analog dry path. I saw it visually on wav files when I compared the VMSD to the El Cap.

8. flavaham

flavaham Member

So, I'd like to have savable delays as each song could use it's own sound. I also want to be able to just tap out a beat and have a proper, standard delay. I'm assuming the TL can do this. I want to be able to change it on the fly. Do both offer expression pedal outs?
    Thanks for the info guys! As for now, looks like the TL is winning.

9. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

No contest here. The timeline is the one to choose... Bonus points if you can find a Damage Control one ;)

10. flavaham

flavaham Member

I'm very close to having enough $$ for a new SG. Then, the Timeline it is!! Thanks guys! Hope to have it (ordered) by the end of March. (Or middle...or beginning. haha.)

11. teleclem

teleclem Member

That's possible. I guess the Timeline prices also depends on whether or not they're still sold with a waitlist.

That said, Strymon products still hold their value fairly well, even without a waitlist. BSR and El Cap are still very in demand. I'd say the rest of the world has more catching up to do. It's only now that Strymon stuff are showing up on boards more often over here. There are still only a handful of Timelines here.

12. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

What did you see?

13. shuffle

shuffle Member

Timeline for sure - own both, the timeline has a lot more it can achieve. The character of the delay can be manipulated and tweaked much more than on the VMSD. MIDI control, stereo in and outs, 200 presets, and soo much more

14. neu18

neu18 Member

I'd say the timeline. Although I think the tape sound is more convincing on the empress and the reverse shimmer and tap ratio are also cool. The timeline is just more versatile.

15. Pguitars

Pguitars Member

Had both. End up with the empress.

16. guitar29

guitar29 Supporting Member

Empress all the way!