Timeline OR Timefactor and BlueSky?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by riversisblue, Jan 24, 2012.

1. riversisblue

riversisblue Member

Help! I currently have a Strymon Timeline but had a Timefactor but got rid of it to get the Timeline. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Timeline but am annoyed at several features. First off, to my ear, the Timefactor's Dual / Digital delay is better sounding. It is bigger and more pure. Plus the controls are right in front of you. No fiddling with the menus and selecting mathematical ratios of subdivisions. Anyway, without getting too much into it here is my list and I need help making a decision.

Timeline Pros:
    1. Great Tape Delay
    2. So many types of delays. It is easy to get lost!
    3. Ice Delay - Really sweet

Timeline Cons:
    1. No global tap
    2. dBucket tap changes the pitch while tapping - cool if you are fiddling around but bad when your drummer slows down or speeds up a hair.
    3. So many types of delays. It is easy to get lost!
    4. When making control changes with midi, it automatically activates the preset.
    5. When you want to "deactivate" the timeline once you have controlled it MIDI there is no universal "activate / deactivate" switch to shut it down. For instance if I call up midi 01 (timeline see's this as Bank 00A) then want to call up midi 04 (aka Bank 01B) the deactivate buttons switch from A to B! If you aren't thinking about it, you have to make sure you look down at which LED is lit and make sure you deactivate the proper preset.
    6. Dual Delay Ratios. Truly stupid idea. All they had to do is make it a 2nd subdivision of the BPM like the original subdivision!
    7. No USB updates

Timefactor Pros:
    1. Great Sounding Digital Delay
    2. Great Midi Support
    3. USB Updates
    4. EASY EASY interface. Especially if you want to use Dual Delays often.
    5. Built like a tank. Much more hefty than timeline.

Timefactor Cons:
    1. Tape not nearly as sweet as Timeline
    2. No Ice-y goodness
    3. Not as many delay options.

To make up for some of the Ice fun, I was thinking about getting a BlueSky. Also, the blue sky would give me a few more fun reverb options.

So the big question is....
    Stick with the Timeline and keep exploring?
    OR
    Go get the Timefactor and a BlueSky?

Just in case you were wondering, the pedal board setup is pretty simple.
    Polytune > Keeley Compressor > Keeley Modded 808 > Barber Super Sport (Ran at 18V) > Timeline + Tech 21 Midi Moose (Controlling Timeline) > Dr Z Carmen Ghia

I use this mostly at church...Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. theroan

theroan Member

Be patient. The next TL update is soon, lots of fix's coming. I wouldn't go to the Timefactor if I were you. The blue sky is pretty sweet though. I would just keep saving, they do come up used. Or get a HOF it has great options too. Its on the the same level as the BSR, just a matter of taste.

3. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Member

Dual delay is big for me. I think the Timeline's dual isn't that good. Tape isn't my main concern. It's cool but it doesn't make me want to spend $450. If tape is a huge thing for you the El Cap is better at that anyway, since that is its main focus.

I love my timefactor. I'm still entertaining the idea of a Timeline... but once the craze dies down. I have no interest in overpaying for it. If I get it, it will be an addition to my TF... not a replacement.

4. cube

cube Member

had a timefactor since they came out .. been happy since .. it gets better all the time

5. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Member

^ +1

Waiting patiently for update 4.

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Timefactor all the way , much better in real world situations .

7. telepunk

telepunk Member

I think this depends a lot on your preference when it comes to tone. I agree that the dual digital delays were better on the Timefactor (I have a Timeline now), but not so much that it really matters to me. I don't use dual that much though. I use the dTape and dBucket most and I feel those are a good bit warmer/better than the Timefactor. I also like all of the extra sounds in the Timeline that weren't in the Timefactor, and I like warm, "analogish" delay sounds more than digital. If you are more of a clean and dual digital delay person I could see choosing the Timefactor.

8. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i had a Timefactor and sold it to fund a Timeline.
    my issues with the Timefactor included: tone-suck, sounding too digital, and real crappy tape sound. (in my opinion/setup)

i'm still waiting on my Timeline from Strymon, but from everything i've heard and watched it has the analoginess thing down. nice, warm repeats, AND analog dry-thru!

as far as menus and device navigation, i'll get use to it. i'll adapt. if something sounds good, i'll deal with the features to dial in what i like.

now if Digital-ness is your thing, then yeah, get a Timefactor. spending a single hour of tweaking with my former Timefactor yielded some pretty great sounds.

9. SamOfFinland

SamOfFinland Member

I had Timefactor, Timeline and Bluesky. I sold Timeline. Sounds were good but using it live was pain in the ass. No preset naming, bank switching, unable to show beats per minute when tapping and then change to bank + preset name...

TimeFactor is quality delay. Built like a tank. Good sounds. Powering Timefactor is harder that Timeline -> no Boss-style plug and requires more mAs.

Get Timefactor and BlueSky. I did not like Ice on Timeline. Bluesky does it much better.

10. whattheadam

whattheadam Member

This is a really helpful and interesting thread. I'm a Timefactor owner, and while i love it, i very recently decided i wanted to sell it to help fund a Timeline thinking it would be an overall, obvious improvement. But a lot of you are saying hold off?

Anyone else want to chime in with some pros and cons?

11. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I've owned both and AB'ed them before selling the Timefactor. The Timeline sounded better in every mode (including digital), which was the biggest thing for me. I don't get that people are complaining the TL has too many delay types, that's a bad thing? You just set the presets you need and if you don't need a delay type, why don't you skip it?

Also, the digital conversion of the dry on the Timefactor was very noticeable to me. It always felt 'digital' to me, like I was playing through a modeller. Also, I like the fact that I can bank up and down on the Timeline. I have no problems banking with my foot at gigs. With shoes on, it is very easy. In socks or bare feet, it is trickier.

12. theroan

theroan Member

I think after the next update, the TL will have very few faults left to pick out.

13. earwax

earwax Member

I don't know why people keep on saying the tape delay on the timefactor is worse then the timeline. I have had both at the same time I thought the timefactor could keep up and even had a bit more modulation. The timeline is great but the modulation stops at like at three o'clock where the timefactor seems to push past this and give you a bit more. Sometimes I feel like I have to put my empress paraeq in front of the timeline to get it to sound right. I never felt that need with the timefactor. I ended up selling the timefactor but I miss it sometimes.

anyways if you are limited on cash I would recommend getting a timefactor and a space.

14. Volontaire

Volontaire Member

I don't get : the Timeline doesn't have USB updates ? So it's impossible to get updates if you already bought the unit ?

15. earwax

earwax Member

You can get updates. You need a USB/midi cord. Poor design but it gets the job done.

16. whattheadam

whattheadam Member

I believe you update via midi

17. riversisblue

riversisblue Member

It just would have been nice if Strymon put a usb port on the TL. Everyone has USB but not too many guitarists have midi interfaces on their computers. To drop another $50 bucks on a MIDI interface kind of stinks. A nice advantage for the Timefactor. Its also nice that you can manage the Timefactor using the Eventide software. Unfortunately for us, a USB interface can't be added / fixed with a "software update" (like everything else on the Timeline). LOL