• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Timeline question/help needed

leftycajun

Hey guys, just got a question for any timeline owners out there. I just got a Timeline yesterday. It's great, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how best to use it. Does anyone have any tips to help shorten my learning curve with this thing? I've been all over strymon's website, watching youtube videos, etc. I'm mainly trying to come up with the best approach for setting it up for live use (i.e., do you set up a bunch of presets for your set, or do you come up with a bunch of sounds that you scroll through depending on the song/your mood, etc?) My biggest problem right now is fighting my own ADD. I spent so much time playing with it last night that I pretty much forgot to practice my setlist. Really easy to go down the rabbit hole with this guy....

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with setting up a couple of general sounds and then following up with anything specific. Before going crazy, get familiar with the core sounds and how to dial them in. I think most of the complaints i hear regarding the sound on the Timeline come from those not willing to spend some time with it. For example, making small adjustments to things like the low pass filter on the dbucket can have a big influence on the overall sound.

What's a typical setlist look like for you? You can usually minimize song specific delay sounds and share between a lot of them, unless you've decided just to cover every song with a unique delay trick in one set.

bschultzjames

Sixrails nailed it. I generally only set up tempo based presets for each song since the bands I play in have specific set lists.

It would be worthwhile to have a few general use patches in the first couple of banks set up to go off of tap tempo.

the tourist

For me, when I had a Timeline, I found I spent way too much time tweaking it so that each bank of two would be set for the correct BPM for my band's setlist and then I'd just endlessly tweak those two sounds for each song to find the perfect delay setting for each song (sometimes slap/stereo, sometimes analog/slap, somethings tape/analog, sometimes two of the same type but one dotted, one 8ths or 4ths or 16ths....). It was maddening how much I was not actually playing guitar because of this. That's partially why I dumped mine for two independent delays that can be controlled with tap inputs and then got a Time Traveler for the preset tap tempo speeds.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I did what SixRails did, but with a few more choices.
I used bank 00 for basic tape delay and slap back
I set a general ice/pad and a swell on bank 01.

I used it for church and each time we did a new song, I build a patch for it and saved it with librarian software. When making setlists, I would use the bank number starting with that Sunday's date. So for this past Sunday, the first song would be in patch 12A and then move forward from there. We always practice on Thursday night, so I can dial in patches for setlists before practice, then at rehearsal, make any tweaks. Then Re-save with Librarian Between practice and Sunday.
I kept the tape and slapback and used those exclusively with my gigging band. I have since built a gig specific board with just a DD3.

The timeline has also moved on, but the strategy worked well and got simpler as the database of songs on my computer grew.

leftycajun

Wow, a lot of great advice here. Thanks to all that contributed and please keep the info coming! I've got the next week off from my church gig so I've got plenty of time to practice and try some of these ideas out.

slap_back05

I set up everything per song, but it's all MIDI switched through my Timefactor, so for some songs I have an A and a B setting, while others call up a "general use" preset like a slap back delay or ambient/swell delay.

A lot of work on the front end, but it's worth it since I'm playing and singing.

StepAudio

Here's a vid that shows how to set up the TimeLine to work with MIDI:

Working with presets is much easier using MIDI control, and syncing to MIDI Clock is great if you have any other pedals that can.

Enjoy!

.:. Bill

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
I use it with a midi footcontroller. For each tone that uses delay (frankly, very few for me), I set the delay sound I want, save as a preset, then set my footcontroller to call up that preset when I select that particular tone. Even if the only difference is the delay time, I set it as a separate preset.

I hate tap dancing live, so I wouldn't even try to use it without a footcontroller...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom