Timeline users - good settings for lead?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zwolf, Jan 30, 2012.

1. zwolf

zwolf Member

It's kind of odd for me to post this as I've been a delay junkie for years, owned dozens of the units, and use a healthy dosage in my music. I'm much more of a textural rhythm player than a lead player, but I do take the occasional stab at some licks here and there.

I've always admired good lead tones with a bit of subtle delay for color/thickening, but never really used it myself. I expect plenty here are using their TLs in this manner to great effect; if you have a second, please post your favorite lead presets!

I'll try them all and my favorite will win a spot on my DMC-6 for instant recall :)

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

might be a good time to go back over the official strymon vids!

3. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

Try several of the first handful of presets. Turn DOWN the mix and the repeats. Enjoy!

4. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Very subjective my friend ... Mess around and i'm sure you'll find one... :aok

5. teleclem

teleclem Member

There's this short digital delay preset someone put up at the preset thread. Works great for this application.

6. starfish

starfish Member

I think I must have a completely different approach to the creative process because I usually let the piece of music dictate the necessity of one type of delay texture or another, not a predetermined generic "lead tone" patch. But maybe that's just me. :)

YMMV, with other genres like 'da blooze' and all that...

7. wiscojay

wiscojay Member

I like the Bank 00a for a digital delay lead sound.
    I re did the first 25 or so, but I likes the duck settings for leads too. the 17a slap.

8. zwolf

zwolf Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I already blew out the first 30 banks or so of the factory presets, but I think they repeat at bank 50, so I'll take a peak.

Starfish - your approach doesn't sound that different from mine, but since I've never used delay on a lead/seldom take leads to begin with, I was interested in hearing sounds that others consider to be good for the purpose. No blues going down here. Not that there's anything wrong with it :)