Timeline vs 3 Delays

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by peasencarrots, Jun 21, 2012.

1. peasencarrots

peasencarrots Member

So what would you do?

I have three seperate delays that I use individually and simultaneously. They each have their own unique tone and I feel like they also blend well together. They are the: Boss DD20, Malekko Ekko 616 "LoFi" and the Deluxe Memory Boy.

should I keep them, or sell them to buy the Timeline?

2. boppstar

boppstar Member

I owned the DD20 - I miss it a lot, very easy to use and great sound for a really decent price. I also owned the DMB - don't miss it at all. I have a buddy the DMMTT 1100 which looks essentially like the DMB but sounds significantly better to my ears. I have been wanting to try the Malekko Ekko 616 and have seen the Lo Fi version pop up a few times but have no experience with this pedal so I can't comment.

I owned the Timeline for a while - sounds incredible and can do all sorts of crazy things that I don't use...I still wanted another delay with the Timeline though for the very reason you mentioned, every delay has its own flavor. The Timeline can do a lot, but I think you will end up missing having your other pedals.

Good luck. The only answer to your conundrum is to own all 4. :)

3. peasencarrots

peasencarrots Member

thanks boppstar, that actually does help. I do think I would miss my delays if i sold them all.

4. thecrob19

thecrob19 Member

Whenever I "upgrade" or change gear, I like to think "is what i'm getting going to really do more for me or not?"
    I'd wager that what you've got right now covers A LOT of ground.
    Besides ice and other crazy stuff, what can the timeline do for you?

5. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I like the Timeline because I can pull out some very unique delays, looping and FX out of it, but there's a ton of stuff I either don't need or use, so a lot of it's capabilites are wasted on me......but I LOVE my DMMTT's tonal characteristics, simplicity and ease of use, and it's become my "go to" delay.

I really think that if you current set-up is giving you what you need, then you'd miss it by switching to just one of anything, regardless of what delay it is.

6. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

i'd keep it as-is.

I prefer having different delay sounds that i can stack, whereas the Timeline i believe has a dual delay setting, but you can't tweak each delay to sound different (correct me if i'm wrong fellas)

you'd probably save some space on your board, but if you're happy with your current set-up, why change?

7. thecrob19

thecrob19 Member

:agree

Its happened to me before.

8. jason41224

jason41224 Member

unless you like to stack your delays, i would just get a timeline.

9. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

The Timeline could not do what my Maxon AD999 does.

It's always a compromise to some degree when you look to a single unit to take the place of multiple effects.

The Timeline sounds great, don't get me wrong- but for me it was too much to work with and a disappointment when it couldn't cover all of my core sounds.

10. tbader

tbader Member

Well, what do you use each delay for?

The TimeLine is a great pedal to not only add good "delay machines" to your arsenal of tones, it can also help clean up and streamline your setup.

For example, running 3 delays together in parallel can get messy/murky/muddy really quick. I like the TimeLine's capability to have a dual delay machine in series or parallel. Series is good for clean multi delays, so things don't get muddy really quick, but the option of having parallel is also nice. This mode, along with the pattern delay, makes interesting rhythms that are much harder to achieve with multiple delays, especially if you don't have any way to sync up the delay times. And having the option of a series dual delay means the delays aren't running into each other, repeating the repeats of the other delays.

That, and you can have a bunch of presets, which is pretty useful for live performance. Bending and tweaking to get certain tones gets old, especially if you don't have a quiet enough stage to hear the adjustments you are making on the individual pedals.

I used to run 3 delays, as well: one for clean quarters/dotted eighths (Nova Delay), another for dark and smoky repeats, perfect for solos and clean arpeggios (Carbon Copy), and the last one for my runaway delay (DD-7). But, syncing these delays up and turning them on or off became a pain. The TimeLine sounds better than any of these delays, and it's much more convenient to set up my tones.

I also feel that my Carbon Copy did the runaway delay thing way better than my DD-7 did, but the DD-7 didn't sound as good as the CC for the lighter, higher feedback repeats. And, I don't feel like changing my settings frequently, otherwise, I'd probably just use 1 delay. (I could have just ditched the DD-7 and got another CC, however.)

So, I got a TimeLine. And now I have the space, and freedom to add the Carbon Copy back to the board to get some nice washed out repeats if I ever want them. However, the TL does the analog sound just as well, IMO.

I say go for it; get the TL. But, perhaps, keep another delay handy, if not for covering sounds the TL can't cop properly, keep it around to keep things in perspective: the TimeLine is a delay-junky's dream come true, and very few delays sound better than it does! :)

11. ES330

ES330 Member

If you like what you got, don't sell to get something else...

12. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

This in 100% agreement. I like my Timeline, too. But it looks like you really enjoy what each of your delay pedals offer.

13. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I have a Timeline and a LoFi 616. I plan on keeping both.

14. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

I used to have 4-5 delays on my board, bought the timeline and now I have the Timeline and the DD-20 only. Timeline I use 99% of the time, the DD20 I use mostly for adding a second delay on top of the timeline (mostly Reverse). For me and how I use my delays, the Timeline is exactly what I need.

15. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Yeah, I say go with the Timeline, just for the capability of presets alone. It takes up the space of two pedals but it covers about 4-5 pedals for me. If you stack delays, keep the Malekko and get the Timeline.

16. Dbwalker

Dbwalker Member

I tried to get my timeline to do an Aquapus and a Carbon Copy, it got sorta close to the copy, but not really, nowhere near the Aquapus... So, it's a great delay, but it's not all delays.

So I say, get it, see if you can get tones you like. If not flip it :)

17. picbiff

picbiff Member

I say try out the timeline and if you like it better than your delays then switch. Its your tone and your ears do what you think sounds good.

18. Hairpin Turns

Hairpin Turns Member

The Timeline can do a lot, but I can't get it to sound like my Montavillian or my DMMTT (though it comes closer to that). I like having multiple delays, even with a Timeline that can do quite a bit.

19. Abandoned

Abandoned Supporting Member

I personally find the TL much easier than having 3 delays. Sure it's more time programming - behind the scenes, but live I no longer have to fiddle.

20. peasencarrots

peasencarrots Member