Times you were wrong about a band/artist/song/album

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 27sauce, Apr 12, 2016.

1. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Either way, something you thought was going to be huge and it wasn't, or something that you dismissed and was big.

Or, something you thought you'd like, then didn't and vice versa.

I remember seeing Korn and Marylin Manson open for Danzig and actually telling my buddy, "we'll never hear of these guys again. They ain't no danzig"

Another buddy got an advance copy of the first Audioslave album and when I asked how it was he says, "Eh, it's all filler, I don't hear a single".

I called that same friend once when I first heard Kryptonite. "Dude, go find this band, they sound just like you, but they'll never make it".

My dad, pretty good record of turning me on to cool stuff. Yoakam, black crowes, Melissa Etheredge, Storyville, gov't mule..he recommends the first Hootie and the Blowfish album, and I dug it for a couple of days. I felt duped. Thanks a lot dad!

Whatcha got?

A-Bone likes this.
  2. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

The first time I heard "10" by Pearl Jam; I thought "Meh. Another Seattle band."
    It's still my favorite album by them.

27sauce and sixstringfuel like this.
  3. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Hah I remember sitting with a few guys in a dorm room first year of university watching Saturday night live. Pearl Jam was on.

When they finished, buddy piped up: 'well we'll never hear from those clowns again'

4. monty

monty Member

Another PJ one- I thought they were a lame U2 wannabe act at first after hearing Alive. Fell in love with them soon after.

5. Dos XX

Dos XX Member

It was around May 1969, my brother bought Chicago Transit Authority. I didn't like it at first. He played that record for two straight days. I fell in love with that album and Terry Kath's guitar playing. If you have not heard it, buy it and rock out.
    Peace to everyone.

BUK and aussie_owner like this.
  6. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

When I was a kid I was looking thru my Brother's albums.
    Saw this one in the stack and put it on. Heard what I thought was the most obnoxious guitar sound ever and immediately turned it off.

[​IMG]

deeohgee, BADHAK and hank57 like this.
  7. standard24

standard24 Member

I said rap would be dead by dinnertime.

markbosko, BUK and deeohgee like this.
  8. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

I was hardcore a Gram Parsons guy in the mid 80's. Met a girl a few years later with some cassettes at a record show telling me this new band was the chit.

Turned out she had ties to Mark H. The GP museum dude back in the day, Gram fans will know what/who this is. Anyway the tapes she had were Uncle Tupelo and I dismissed it.

marktweedy and A-Bone like this.
  9. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Had an argument with a mate many years ago over Ryan Adams. I said he was rubbish. I now I love his stuff.

BUK and Turi like this.
  10. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

I actually walked out of a Whiskeytown Show. Dumb move for sure but I still have the hat I bought.

They were another No Depression band I resisted and later regretted. Ironically because I was still punch drunk on my previous misfire UT/Wilco/Son Volt.

marktweedy, 27sauce and A-Bone like this.
  11. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I though Afghan Whigs was going to be huge after the release of Gentlemen. At one point I thought Son Volt would be bigger than Wilco.

supergenius365, deeohgee and Dave2512 like this.
  12. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt Member

I thought Grant Lee Buffalo would break big. Didn't happen.

Nevets, deeohgee and A-Bone like this.
  13. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Totally. I expected the same of Matthew Sweet, and Freedy Johnston, and Jellyfish, and Superdrag, and Miracle Legion, and Maria McKee, and Sam Phillips, and...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  14. captaincanada

captaincanada Supporting Member

When I was 13 I hated Steely Dan, totally into Zeppelin.

Now I listen to Steely Dan, love Steely Dan, and even play their music professionally on occasion..
    plus I still dig Zeppelin

BUK likes this.
  15. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Jellyfish had guys from my high school in it. Roger Manning has been playing with Beck for like a decade now. Genius.

A-Bone likes this.
  16. burner

burner Member

Woah....major fail there!
    Hahaaa!

I've been sitting here trying to think of a situation that's applicable to the OP....and I just can't.
    It's not like I pride myself on having a golden ear for hits or whatever, just lucky so far I guess.

17. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

the first time i heard king's x was the video for "over my head" and it really wasn't my cup of tea back then. fast forward a few months later.... i was riding around with 2 of my musician friends and they asked me if i was into king's x. i told them that i really didn't dig the music that i had heard. they proceeded to play the 1st track of off gretchen goes to nebraska called "out of the silent planet" and it blew my $%&^*!@ mind!!! i've loved king's x ever since and still think that gretchen is a masterpiece!

18. johntoste

johntoste Member

My best friend brought over Pretzel Logic when it came out. I listened once and dismissed it as too slick.

Soon came to my senses and ever since have worshipped at the alter of Steely Dan.

jb70 likes this.
  19. pepedede

pepedede Member

I totally wrote off pavement in the 90's, thought they were a poor imitation of the big grunge bands of the time. I only like a few of their songs but a like a lot of steve malkmus solo/ collaboration stuff

A-Bone likes this.
  20. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I remember a 1984 issue of Rolling Stone that had reviews of Cyndi Lauper's first album and Madonna's first album. They basically said Lauper is a future Superstar and Madonna is rubbish and would be forgotten in 12 months time . I remember thinking " hell yes ,RS has nailed it again"