• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Timing

Buduranus2

Silver Supporting Member
I use a metronome to help with speed and dexterity for difficult passages. Iron out the fingering at a slower tempo and then incrementally increase it until I'm executing cleanly at the desired tempo. That aside, I'd offer a different perspective about metronomes and timing. A metronome will convey the "idea" of a tempo but it won't convey the "feel." We don't need a metronome (or click track) to walk down the street in perfect time.

Ejay

My way if practicing with a metronome is just setting it to a songs bpm and playing over it. Any other ways?
yup

Play the tune in different tempos...very slow...and still with timing “on the grid” is more challanging.

Metronome on more challanging parts of the beat..
2 and 4, only 2, only one, on the back beat...or even on a 16Th behind the beat if you wanna go crazy ;)
If done well...you should get to the point where the metronome no longer feels as an enemy...but as a friend that walks along with what you are doing instead of the other way around.

Record yourself!...and check if you are on the grid of 8ths, 16ths or triplets...depending non the feel of the song.

Fill in the parts where you don’t play in your head...by singing or “thinking” percussive parts.
Great timing is for a large part about how you handle silences.

Work on “make it feel like dancing”. Thats a body thing. If you can’t dance to it yourself ...do you think somebody else will?
I don’t mean doing a full chachacha...but your body should feel relaxed and “feel funky”...or “headbangt”...whatever style you play.

I don't practice nearly enough in general, but I try to play quarter notes and eight note, etc. with a metronome at least semi-regularly.

I do find that my natural sense of timing significantly improves when I relax physically and mentally and slow my playing down. Funny, that!

Guitardave

I can play to a metronome no problem, it’s even a crutch. My problem is playing without one (or without a good drummer). My tempos shift way too much on my own. It’s only rarely it becomes an issue since most of the time I’m not playing solo, and if I am, well it’s just me! But sometimes I’ll start something too fast or too slow. It’s a problem, I need to work on it.....

Me too...

What does help is using a looper in "free form" mode. It's really challenging to play a full song form and be on beat with nothing to guide you. It's way easier if you use a metronome or drum machine.

Ejay

Wonder if he’s the cat that takes the killer solo on the live Ivan Lins album I like so much?
Is that him?
Yup..that’s him!
He’s mainly a “hired gun” in the vip Latin and jazz scene.
He used to live in Holland, I had ensemble classes with him during my music study. Omg that dude has groove....and skills...and taste.

Google John Mayer leonardo amuedo...youll find a funny clip where those two get set up to do a guitar dual...I think JM was a little tipsy.
But Leo plays one lick to make his point...JM rolls his eyes in a “wtf manner”...and leonardo is a real gentlemen after that and plays along without crushing egos ;)

jogogonne

Yup..that’s him!
He’s mainly a “hired gun” in the vip Latin and jazz scene.
He used to live in Holland, I had ensemble classes with him during my music study. Omg that dude has groove....and skills...and taste.

Google John Mayer leonardo amuedo...youll find a funny clip where those two get set up to do a guitar dual...I think JM was a little tipsy.
But Leo plays one lick to make his point...JM rolls his eyes in a “wtf manner”...and leonardo is a real gentlemen after that and plays along without crushing egos ;)
Yea... but Leonardo Amedo hasn't slept with half of the hottest 10 women in Hollywood...

JSeth

Hou4rs and hours, back in the 70's and 80's when I was running a lot of scales... and I would always go AS SLOW AS I COULD... 1/4, 1/8, triplet, 16th, 16th triplets, 32nds... but tempo at ~40 bpm... PAINFULLY slow! Just tried to make each note as "perfect" as I could (impossible, of course).

Working at that speed (the tip was from a then recent Berklee grad, brilliant pianist and composer) will show you where you gag... for myself, I noticed I tended to rush the triplets a bit (I love triplets!) and to lag slightly on the 16th notes... at a very slow tempo, I could correct that.

One huge net result was that my own internal "clock" was being re-calibrated while I ran those scales... and when I was playing normally, speed and dexterity came effortlessly and FAR more accomplished than previous!

Nowadays, I don't run scales much at all; not what I'm about... BUT, occasionally I will use that metronome, just to "reset" the internal rhythm section! I do that about once every few years, or as needed...

Jonathan31

I seem to consistently play just a hair before the beat. Its consistently at the same spot though. Is this a problem? Keep in mind I'm mostly just a bedroom guitarist who jams with friends occasionally.

RRfireblade

How often do you all practice Timing with a metronome? I did when I learned how to play but was wondering how many of you feel the need to practice timing with a metronome.
I think its huge. I play everyday but I don't practice everyday. When practicing, it's an indispensable tool I try to use during some part of that time.

jogogonne

I seem to consistently play just a hair before the beat. Its consistently at the same spot though. Is this a problem? Keep in mind I'm mostly just a bedroom guitarist who jams with friends occasionally.
I think it depends what kind of stuff you want to play.

I think, bar cover band ... Wish you were here, Steppenwolf, Sweet home Alabama, it's fine to be all over the place now and then, nobody is REALLY going to care or notice.

I think for certain stuff/songs, it's more important for it to be in time than others. Like funk, SRV, and jazz kind of stuff can sound like @ss if it's out of time. Good pop song/wedding band, I'd say important.

It's my opinion that a lot of rock is played very loosely in time, especially guitar solos. Even famous players... take a listen to this... my favorite band of all time.

Last edited:

jogogonne

I actually just saw this clip today, never heard of this band before, but I think this is a good example of a piece of music where time plays a more prominent role...

LagunaMan

I tried a long time ago and didn't see a point in it. Playing guitar is all about timing so sooner or later you're going to figure it out with or without a metronome.

markmann

If you plan to play with other people I think it's a good idea to play along with something. I don't think it really matters what it is, just something to make you think about timing or feel the timing and not just concentrate on notes and chords. Metronome, drum beats, radio, another person or even tap your foot. I know people who only play alone and can't keep time to save their life.

Trending Topics