Timmy and Blackface amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by townsend, Apr 18, 2016.

1. townsend

townsend Member

Does the Timmy pedal work well with a Fender, blackface type amp (I have an Allen Sweet Spot = Princeton Reverb clone)?

I read a comment in a forum somewhere that it paired better with Vox or Marshall type amps.

And if you are satisfied with low or at most medium gain, is it suffice, or do you need a second OD pedal to cover medium gain? (I recognize that medium is a somewhat relative term). Your experiences are appreciated.

2. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

As it happens I also have a Sweet Spot and I love the Timmy into it. The SS's mid control might be responsible for it working as well as it does, but I'm not 100% sure there.

I use it in low gain territory mostly, but get into medium overdrive too. I definitely feel that the Timmy shines as a low gainer, but I have heard Paul C himself likes the gain pretty high.

As far as it being my only OD, no, but I'm a total OD whore so there is that. I feel like the Timmy as a "transparent" drive and another as your "character" drive is a winning combo. Tubescreamers stack beautifully with the Timmy as do the BJFE/Bearfoot Bee pedals, as well as pretty much everything I've ever tried honestly.

I say go for it. The Timmy has beaten out pedals that cost 3x as much over the many years I've owned it :aok

townsend likes this.
  3. goodsal

goodsal Supporting Member

I have a Timmy and it's fantastic into my '64 Princeton Reverb.

4. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

The good thing about the Timmy is how powerful the tone controls are. You can really tweak it to any amp

abnerfm and jawajt like this.
  5. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I am one of those who think its gain just doesn't work with a stock Fender. Rockbox Baby Blues works better (read: wonderfully) for me. Some of the settings on the EQD Gray Channel were really good, too. A LOT more functionality there for just a few (60) more bucks. -E

6. jerrylee

jerrylee Supporting Member

I don't like it into my Headstrong Lil King. I much prefer the Rockett Blue Note as a low/med OD into a "blackface". To my ears the Timmy/Tim is better suited to something middy - (Marshall/ Vox)

7. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

My Timmy sounds great through my Vintage Sound VS20. YMMV.

8. Sam-2XD

Sam-2XD Member

Works great. Paul C. even posted that the Timmy pairs well with blackface amps.

9. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

In my experience, low gain is the most I could use it for with a stock BF Fender. -E

townsend likes this.