Timmy and Fenders

jeffinaustin

Silver Supporting Member
Man I just put a Timmy back on my board after probably a couple of years without one. I know general consensus seems to be that it doesn't work great with Fenders.

I respectively disagree.

Have gigged with a tele, 335, and a Duo Jet in the last week and it has been a great always on pedal with all setups. Stacking into it with a Klon and the Screwdriver add different textures and tonal emphasis that I honestly haven't been able to get with several other pedals in its place/role. Great pedal!

dcbc

I have 5 different fenders (champ, PR, DR, Bandmaster, and Bassman 100). It sounds great with each of them, albeit a slightly different kind of great with each amp.

NoQuarter

I play a Tele amd Les Paul through a Fender Twin and use a Timmy on my board and it does wonders to both guitars.I use it as a solo boost in conjunction with my AF1. I don't see changing my board any year soon. It is awesome plain and simple. As stated before, hogwash to the "doesn't work well with Fenders".

slap_back05

I used to have one with my VOX/Blues Jr combo and it worked well, but when I moved to a VOX/Princeton, I couldn't get it to work with both. If it sounded good on the Fender, it was wrong for the VOX and vice versa.

Never thought it couldn't work with Fenders, it just doesn't always jive with multiple amps like other drives do.

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think it sounds good unless pushing an already loud amp; Fender or Marshall. That was a Tim, and maybe I just had a dud. It wasn't bad, just not the Grail I expected. I replaced it with a KoT and couldn't be happier. Mine was followed by a Klon as well.

jeffinaustin

Silver Supporting Member
Probably like most it depends on how you use it. For me I'm just wanting an always on first stage that gives me my amp with a little sparkle/grit with the volume rolled back a bit on my guitar. The eq on the Timmy is great for me to adjust for loud or soft volume situations and nails what I need it to do.

Dunzie

Hogwash? Nah, it isn't... there's more than a kernel of truth to it. Is it usable with Fender tubes? Yeah absolutely. It's a pretty good pedal with them. I've owned two for extended periods so I know what I'm talking about here in relation to Fender tubes... they're what I play (2 Twinolux, a Bassman, a Twin, and I've used it with others).

I sold the last one to a bandmate with a Marshall half, and now with that amp it absolutely SINGS. PaulC wasn't wrong... but maybe the line does get quoted a little too quickly. It isn't that it's unusable with Fenders, but you will be surprised how much better the Timmy works into a Marshall or even a more trebly hot amp like a Vox. For whatever reason, it really shines in those slightly hotter amps moreso than a single channel Fender tube.

bluesoul

Works great with my Bandmaster and my plexi. I have been using a tube screamer and a blackface Fender A/B Marshall rig for 30+ years...Timmy works very well as an alternative to the TS. I have a Tube Screamer, OCD and a Timmy because they all sound great but a bit different. So I go with the Hogwash!
BUT...lets talk guitars...tube Screamers to me are ideal for Stats (so so for Les Paul)...Timmy is good with a strat but killer with a Paul. OCD adds variety with both.
Less amp sensitive but perhaps more guitar sensitive.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
Just works better with amps with a prominent midrange. Like a Tweed or a Marshall.

JeffR

........ Stacking into it with a Klon and the Screwdriver add different textures and tonal emphasis that I honestly haven't been able to get with several other pedals in its place/role. Great pedal!
I completely agree...... my Rimrock MO > Screwdriver > Timmy (1458) produces some great textures.

Last edited:

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I think other OD pedals may sound better as a "primary dirt" type of sound with Fender amps, but the Timmy did a killer job as a stacked solo boost with my Fender amps back when I had one. I also remember having one with the 1458 chip, which improved the sound with Fender amps.

JeffR

My Timmy also works great for tightening and defining the bass end when running fuzzes into it.

PerFusionist

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, love it with my Allen Sweet Spot (Blackface PR style amp) just as much as with my 50 watt Plexi...and I don't even change the settings much.

Abram4235

I use mine with a two rock amp. It does seem to give me that last stage of gain that I'm looking for. I love mine!

ELmiguel

It's definitely my favorite stacker. I use it behind a Morning Glory. Absolutely LOVE it as a second stage.
I play a Tele amd Les Paul through a Fender Twin and use a Timmy on my board and it does wonders to both guitars.I use it as a solo boost in conjunction with my AF1. I don't see changing my board any year soon. It is awesome plain and simple. As stated before, hogwash to the "doesn't work well with Fenders".
I completely agree...... my Rimrock MO > Screwdriver > Timmy (1458) produces some great textures.
My Timmy also works great for tightening and defining the bass end when running fuzzes into it.
"Stacking" pedals will give you a different result than just the Timmy running between the guitar and amp.
What Paul C. has said numerous time is he developed the pedal for his own use when he was using a Marshall and a Strat. And he voiced it accordingly. He has said he thinks it sounds best in this configuration. Not that it won't work with a Fender. The Timmy doesn't add mids, it subtracts treble and bass instead. That's why it doesn't sound as good with a mid scooped Fender than it does with a Marshall with Celestions. Both of which are mid-rangy.

Last edited:

zryder

Could the variety of clipping settings on the Timmy perhaps account for this? If so, it would make sense to be able to get it to sound good across all types of amps.

Trending Topics