• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Timmy and the Dual Showman Reverb

TELECOLLECTOR

Astro Boy - who knew?
Platinum Supporting Member
Ok, I readily admit my ignorance.

I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's and played a bunch then.

Pedals were NOT a huge thing back then. I had a Wah and a fuzz-face (wish I had them now).

I recently got back into playing and have acquired a few pedals - one of which is the Timmy.

I have played it through a few amps (vintage Princeton’s, Super Reverbs, Bassman and older Marshalls, All of which sounded great. Actually it is my favorite OD/Boost pedal

I have a 1969 Dual Reverb Showman with 2 15" JBL's.

I just tried the Timmy through it and WOW it was terrible. All high end disappeared, not much "oomph" and generally sounded like crapola.

I often see posts talking about how one pedal works with one amp in particularly good fashion but I always thought it was simple "cork-sniffing"

Evidently there ARE pedals that just do NOT like certain amps (or vice-versa).​

Comments?

MadFrank

Silver Supporting Member
I get this. I just received my Tim after patiently waiting for 9 months... and it doesnt get on with my amp at all! I have a Tweed/Prinston-like amp that has a superb, pedal-lovin clean sound, but not so good dirt charicter, so I use pedals for that, and the Tim unfortunatly just enhances the mediocre charicter of this natural amp overdrive. Beautiful pedal, and Paul really was a nice guy to talk to, but I guess some amps need more 'colour' than others. Could'nt dial it in to give me anything satisfiying, but I can see how it would sound great shaping and pushing an amp that allready has a great OD, because it has little colour of it's own. That's why I'm saving mine for my next (non-Fender) amp purchase and in the meantime may pull the trigger on a KOT.

Purplexi

I play through a silverface Showman Reverb that our bands bass player let's me use sometimes. We tried lots of pedals through it; Fuzz Face, Muff Fuzz, Moserite Fuzzrite, Boss SD-1, Bad Monkey OD and a couple of others. One day he dug out a Randy Bachman "American Woman" signature distortion and it kills with this pedal. Funny thing, the pedal was originally intended to simulate the sound of two Showman heads driven to high gain. That amp and pedal combined do Cream/JTM tone for days.

Polynitro

wow this sucks because Im on the wait list and I have a twin reverb which is basically the same circuit.

Machine Head Pedals are very Fender friendly check them out. I have the 72 Degrees OD, great smooth, medium gain OD. Priced good as well $150.

did you tweak it? Arent these highly tweakable?

Godspeed64

The Timmy is your amp but 'MORE'. So if you already find that the amp's drive manifestation is not so pleasing to your ear, the Timmy will just accentuate the things you don't like about the amp. It did what it's supposed to do.

PaulC

I've always said this pedal was built around plexi and tweed amps. It's not a good choice imho for blackface styled amps due to it's lack of mid hump and lack of heavy compression.

The pedals are all about kicking a plexi/vox/tweed type amp over the edge. I've always been open about this.

Telecollector and Madfrank - you can return your pedals to me. I offer a full weeks trial with a full refund.

PaulC
Tim/Timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
You know guys, for a gain pedal I didn't bond with the Timmy into my Fender style amps either, but as a clean boost it is beautiful, and stacks well with others. Might be worth trying out.

As soon as Paul comes out with his Fender voiced version I'll be snagging one. If the Timmy is any indication, it'll be stellar.

Bluedawg

I've always said this pedal was built around plexi and tweed amps. It's not a good choice imho for blackface styled amps due to it's lack of mid hump and lack of heavy compression.

The pedals are all about kicking a plexi/vox/tweed type amp over the edge. I've always been open about this.

Telecollector and Madfrank - you can return your pedals to me. I offer a full weeks trial with a full refund.

PaulC
Tim/Timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio
So it should sound great with a Marshall 1974X or Top Hat King Royale

But may not sound so good with a Carr Rambler?

:munch

MadFrank

Silver Supporting Member

PaulC
Tim/Timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio
I totally agree with you my friend! The Tim has illustrated to me only the limitations of my current amplifier, not the inherant design of the pedal! Of all the OD pedals I've had, the Tim is easily the most uncoloured and open. I plan, as many guy's here do, on owning a very respectable amp collection one day and my next, imminent, purchase is a high end Plexi type which I beleive the Tim will be a superb boost for, and to run both of these amps in a clean/dirty type set-up. I'm a proud owner and mine is going nowhere! I do appreciate the offer though! :aok

djgroovy

FWIW...I think my Timmy sounds fantastic through my blackface Bandmaster. I use it alone as a low gain and as a boost with a Catalinbread DLS. It may not have been meant for blackface amps, but if you utilize the tone controls and the dip switches, it can rock your socks off. I am thinking about getting on the list again for another Timmy to use as a dedicated boost.

Turiguiliano

PaulC
Tim/Timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio
nice one!

I really like my two versions of the Timmy. Amazing pedal. Paul told me as what he posted above before I placed an order. Didn't mind. Tried it on both 'clean' and 'dirty' amps. Works for me both ways. :bonk

lux_interior

Has anyone used the Tim/Timmy with a loud Mesa Boogie MKII combo set clean, a bit shimmery but still warm? Do you think it will be a nice match? I have found one, but I am trying to avoid the hassle and expenses of getting it just to return it a bit later.

I remember reading about these thoughts on Fender-like amps in the past. If the Danelectro copy is somehow in the same ballpark, it makes my strat sound harsh on the Boogie, but I remember it sounded just gorgeous on a dual EL84 Koch Studiotone that I used to own, set clean (but then again all dirt pedals sounded amazing through that amp... had to sell it... :()

TELECOLLECTOR

Astro Boy - who knew?
Platinum Supporting Member
All, my apologies if my post was a bit ambiguous.

No WAY am I giving up my Timmy;)

When I re-read my post I see that it might have suggested that I have played or demo'd one with a number of amps and liked the tone, but that my amp (Dual Showman) and the Timmy didn't get along.

I bought it with expectations of using it with all my amps and I have used it with probably 8 or so thus far ALL of which were wonderful to my ears Except the Dual Showman.

Like I stated: It is my favorite OD pedal.

I am currently using it with GREAT success and pleasure with the following amps:

2006 Marshall JH 45/100
1978 Marshall JMP (2204)
1962 Fender Tremolux
1965 Super Reverb
1965 Fender Bassman
1960 Fender Vibrasonic
1962 Fender Princeton
1962 Fender Deluxe

It sound KILLER with all these amps so I was AMAZED when the Dual Showman sounds so............off........

And, regarding the amps natural OD sound? I will never know on the Showman I'm afraid as I can only crank it to about 3 - that's 3 on the numerical scale not 3 o'clock -without having the house tumble in around me:D

Paul C. - that is a great offer and I imagine someone, sometime has returned a pedal but I will NOT be one of them.

As a matter of fact, I am ready to order a Tim to keep my Timmy company.

Thanks though - your reputation is impeccable, and, IMHO your Timmy is one of the best values when using quality and performance vs. cost as the metric, in the pedal world.

Rick

Pizzaking

Anyone try a Timmy with a Fender Hotrod Deluxe? I have a Timmy on the way and I'm wondering if its a good combo with my amp.

BillyK

To the OP:
Surprised to hear this, as a loss of high-end with a BF Fender is not what typically happens with a Tim/Timmy. Are you sure you are setting the tone controls properly (they work "backwards")? There are many posts here at TGP on this subject, so a little digging around will get you the info you need.

A Tim/Timmy can work GREAT with BF Fenders much like a tube screamer will, by simply attenuating the treble and bass. With those dialed back, I get all the mid-hump that I want, but without the compression that can make it sound phoney, or "like a pedal".

Without the treble and bass attenuated much (set about where the gain is set), I get the slightly cranked tone of my BF Fenders without the db's. Despite that fact that these pedals weren't explicitly designed for BF Fenders, they still work brilliantly for exactly that.

Should I point out that a '59 Les Paul was not "designed" for rock and roll? Still kinda works though, doesn't it? =)

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
The Timmy has switches inside of it so you can adjust it as well! One thing I've found it to be great w/ my Lovepedal Eternity Burst pedal!

orogeny

Anyone try a Timmy with a Fender Hotrod Deluxe? I have a Timmy on the way and I'm wondering if its a good combo with my amp.
oh hell yes. . . with EVERY guitar!
The Timmy has switches inside of it so you can adjust it as well! One thing I've found it to be great w/ my Lovepedal Eternity Burst pedal!
or. . . on the outside with the newer layout (same circuit though)

Top Bottom