• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Timmy and TS9?

andrewruel

After trying out the two pedals, it appears that there is some overlap in tones between the two. Do you agree or is my ear not good enough to hear a major difference?

My question is, with a med-gain OD and a fuzz already on the board, is there a good reason to have a TS9 AND a Timmy or should I choose between the two?

roknfnrol

Gold Supporting Member
After trying out the two pedals, it appears that there is some overlap in tones between the two. Do you agree or is my ear not good enough to hear a major difference?

My question is, with a med-gain OD and a fuzz already on the board, is there a good reason to have a TS9 AND a Timmy or should I choose between the two?
I don't know what guitar and amp you have, but there is a big difference between these two pedals.

ianb

I use an MP Little Green Wonder, which is a TS-type, although much more dynamic, into a Timmy.

These pedals sound totally different, and together they are fantastic!

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
You could go with both. TS-9s are great for kicking dirty amps or other ODs in the pants with more gain and mids for solos. The Timmy is good for either clean or crunchy rhythm; think: Hendrix or the Stones.

Plus, they're both small.

dividedsky

Had both many times and didn't hear that much in common between them. A lot of people like to run them together but stacking them didn't do much for me.

Hugo Da Rosa

Gold Supporting Member

I can see how you would see the similarities between the two pedals at lower gain settings. Both have a very smooth and glassy characteristic when played at lower gain settings. The big difference however, is when you either stack the pedal with something else or turn up the gain. The Timmy has far more gain than a TS-9 and gets very gritty at higher gains. A TS-9 sort of keeps that smooth characteristic and compensates some gain. In addition, a TS-9 keeps the same character/color when you stack it with another pedal. A Timmy on the other hand, retains the character of the other pedal you are stacking with but adds smoothness and a sparkle to it.

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
Friday night, I tried a similar combination...I put an MI Blues Pro on my board into my Tim pedal. The Blues Pro is a Tubescreamer type pedal, and did indeed sound quite different from the Tim. The Blues Pro sounded good for leads, and the Tim sounded better for rythym. The Blues Pro into the Tim souned really good on leads. I don't recall trying the Blues Pro into the Tim with the boost on...that may have really blown the roof off the joint.

John

Trending Topics