Timmy as a TS?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

can the Timmy do the TS thing?

gain all the way down and level/volume up to push front end of amp...and NO mid hump?

2. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Paul designed it to push the front end of his Plexi's harder with his Strat.
    If you want more mids, wind the bass and treble clockwise. That will cut those frequencies and so push the mids.
    So for no mid push, do the opposite. Max treble and bass anti-clockwise for full frequency. Adjust the gain for saturation.

3. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

thanks C7........how does one set the Timmy so that the boost is the EXACT same as your pre timmy signal?

4. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

All four knobs are interactive. For example, by turning the BASS and TREBLE from off to 12 o'clock, the VOLUME will need to be increased to compensate.

5. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

I understand about the way the tone controls works backwards but this vid confuses me a little......he trying for an unaltered transparent tonal boost and sets the gain bass and treble at "minimum" see 2:40 in vid........but it's not minimum it's full on bass and treble and yet still not having an impact on the tone!! I don't get it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqXq9bDnU5M

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  6. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I don't think they are close. I have a Timmy and love it, but tubescreamers have that warm, compressed, squishy tone and the Timmy sounds more open to me.

7. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

I'm not really looking for a TS tone but wondering if the Timmy can be used in that fashion

8. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

Agree here re: the EQ settings.

I also agree that they are different beasts, however you can get the Timmy pretty compressed by using the toggle. I believe the up position is the most compressed (middle position is the least comp).

Bass toward the clockwise side, treble acting as your tone, toggle at the most compressed, gain low, and volume set to boost you'd have a decent TS approximation.

9. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

No...I own both pedals...and they are different

10. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

No, the Timmy is too transparent an overdrive to ever have the mid-boost obtainable with a TS.

Reducing (and therefore cutting) the bass and treble controls only cuts those two frequencies, so nothing actually touches the mid-range in order to raise it.

Compression is possible though, I prefer the lowest selection of the 3 way switch for maximum compression.

Peace,

Rob.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  11. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

I couldn't have explained better

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I was listening to some old SRV concerts last few days, and you can totally hear the TS9. It's got that round top end, middy thing, can totally tell when he's using it. It has such a sig. tone. Classic and still a king in the OD pedals.

13. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Big thing for me is I don't play live anymore with the Marshall stacks blazing. I find TS style pedals very muddy for my low volume needs these days. They are ok for some lead work.

At the risk of being called a witch, I bolded your quote because I am convinced you can get most overdrive pedals to sound similar with some knob twiddling.

I did some serious messing around with a Rat, fulldrive 2, bearfoot dyna red, bearfoot pink purple, barber direct drive, and bunch of other drives, and I found I could easily get similar tones out of them if I put some time in. My goal was to get boost, dirty boost, overdrive, distortion, and fuzz out of as few pedals as possible.

It allowed me to pare my board down to a timmy, lumpys brilliance boost, and bearfoot pink purple fuzz. Those three get me anything from light boost to open chords to full on crunch and fuzz.

14. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

The tone controls on many amps and pedals are not active and simply cut frequencies. The Timmy's tone controls are like that and designed to give you a fairly flat EQ when up all the way. As you turn them down you cut bass or treble.

15. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Supporting Member

If someone has settings to achieve this they are the winners of this thread!

16. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Member

Yes, it can CERTAINLY be used as a TS. I stand up to disagree with... pretty much the whole TGP.

a) Toggle-switch down, for maximum compression.

b) give it some gain, more than 12 o'clock

c) cut bass AND treble, by rolling the respective knobs up to 2 o'clock (depending on your guitar, pickups, rig etc.)

there you go.

FWIW, I believe that the Timmy is the very best OD pedal out there, for me & my needs at least. Among other things, it can be used as a TS. And sooo many more things.

17. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

I stand corrected on the toggle, re: down is the most compressed. I pretty much only use it in the middle.

The more OD pedals I try the more I am inclined to agree with you and to start working toward a similar goal. I currently have 5 dirt pedals on my board (2 OD, 2 fuzz, 1 distortion) and could really reduce it to 2-3 and be happy. I just get a little precious with my dirt pedals and that's just silly.

Sorry for the hijack. Carry on :wave

18. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

I don't wanna argue or disagree with anyone on here, I only ever want to pass on my honest opinion and experiences (for what that's worth!) where ever and when ever I can.

I have MANY TS pedals and in fact: MANY overdrive and distortion pedals. NOTHING sounds like a TS pedal like a TS pedal does, and certainly not a Timmy. I have tried both for many, many hours.

The Timmy has a 'transparent' boost, or overdrive thing going on. The treble can be reduced to make the sound smooth and darker -much like the tone control does on a TS pedal; the bass control can dial out any flabby / fuzzy low end; but the middle frequencies are untouchable and no way predominantly there in the first place to ever cop a true TS sound with it.

If it could sound like one I would certainly have a few more Timmys on my boards!, but as it is, only a TS pedal caters for my TS sounds and needs.

Peace,

Rob.

19. dB

dB Member

Isn't the Timmy pretty much the opposite of a TS?

20. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

guys,listen.........what I don't get is the vid at 2:40

the guys has the tone controls DIMED ( full CCW) and the OFF (timmy off) sound from the guitar is almost the same as the ON (timmy on)

he is using the Timmy here as a clean boost