Timmy chip question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 59Vampire, Mar 17, 2015.

1. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I know there are a ton of threads and searching didnt help. What is the chip that comes stock In This pedal?

I want to order one and while they re out of rock in most places, one particular place says" this comes with the 4558 which Paul say is his favorite".

I never had a Timmy but I do have a the v1 CTO which others say is. Replica. I'm afraid to open it because it I'd fragile and I'm already having issues with the knobs.

Thanks

2. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

The Timmy has come with 2 stock chips. The JRC4558 was in the original blueish/purple one... but most, if not all, of the vendor-specific color editions come with the LM1458 chip. The 1458 has been the favorite of many players, myself included, long before Paul did the special editions, but some people prefer the 4558 or 4559 or other chips like the Burr-Brown OPA2604.

The good news is that most chips are pretty cheap, so you can buy a bunch and see what you like best.

Fair warning though: the changes are pretty subtle. The Timmy will always be a Timmy. Slight alterations to the tone can be heard by the discerning ear though.

3. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Thanks. I cannot be bothered with changing chips etc.! LOL I like the basic sound oof what i think a timmy should be and I want to get the real one froma quality and durability standpoint. I did not buy the dano because it was a supposed replica. didnt know that at the time.

4. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

The purple/blue original finish was the JRC4559 (not the 4558).

5. meterman

meterman Member

I seriously doubt the OP's Dano clone has a socketed chip for easy swaps.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

the original chip is brighter / the 1458 is warmer

i prefer the original chip but the 1458 is good too. i like top end and bite of the 4558.

not a giant difference but easily heard

7. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

This is correct. My original timmy chip, direct from Paul was an RC4559. And around that time (...possibly 5 or so years ago) he was starting to do some runs in custom colours that were LM1458 as stock.