Timmy Dip switches settings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by prof2915, Aug 21, 2005.

1. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

Lots of Timmy users here :D

Just curious to know how most people have the dip switches set?
    :cool:

2. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I have them both switched off I guess? (least compressed setting). It's going into a Bruno which already has a soft/slightly compressed tone. I'm keeping the bass @ 3 o'clock, treble @ 2:30, gain @ 12:00 o'clock, and volume @ 1 o'clock.

3. erksin

erksin Member

I messed around with them a little, and went back to the stock 'both down' setting (least compressed). The pedal sounds so good in the stock setting I don't even think about the other options available anymore...

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

ha, yeah maybe a better question would be how many owners forogt they were there......:D

5. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

I agree!
    At the moment I´m running a Bad Monkey (set for a "SRV tone") into the Timmy (set for dynamic medium gain) into a AC booster (with a real nasty compressed sound dialed in).

Stacking the Bad Monkey into either of the other two pedals work great. (I play mostly Strats, but a Les Paul into the Monkey+Timmy is really FAT)

The Timmy into the AC generates tons of distortion. (Tried the other way around at first - thougt it would be better not to have the Timmys uncompressed tone being compressed by the AC - but it just did´nt sound good to me.

All three together? Well haven´t tried it at giggin´volume - might be to much hiss - but at moderate volumes it still sounds like a complete meltdown:dude

6. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

I prefer the most compressed setting.

A

7. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

Right now I'm also back to the stock setting (maybe temporarily), but to me the stock setting is one up and the other one down!

I've used a lot of that both up (the most compressed mode). That is 'cause I run TIM --> Timmy. Then the Timmy is my "heavier" lead tone and TIM is set to light overdrive. Sometimes I goose the TIM with a compressor to get a bit dirtier rhythm sound. I think that the TIM and the Timmy sound best stacked when the Timmy has the dip switches either both up or one up and the other one down.

8. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

I run my amps hard and will always choose least compressed settings with gainers, same as with Timmy. I do like that buttery, compressed tone at times, and get it by goosing with another gainer (various choices).

9. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

That's how mine came too.

A

10. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

My came - a week ago - with both down. Maybe Paul has changed his "default setting"?

11. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago.

My guess is Pual builds it, messes with everything to make sure it works, puts the back on, and sends it out. He probably figures people are gonna just mess with 'em as soon as they get the pedal anyway.

Here's a slightly OT question: did yours come with rubber feet? Mine didn't and I didn't realize it until I had already stomped on it a couple times and put scratches all over the bottom, messing up that glorious paint job. DOH!

A

12. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

Same thing here:(

13. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I'll have to open mine up and look. I pulled the back to take out the battery, quickly checked out Paul's immaculate wiring and then slapped the cover back on. I really should experiment a bit but it sounds great the way it came.

No feet on mine, either.

14. jordanL

jordanL Member

No mine came sans feet. Since so many people velcro them to a board. You can find rubber ffed at Radio shack, and probably most hardware stores as well.

I have my Timmy set one up one down. I just set it that way when I got it.

15. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

I also like the most compressed setting.

although the one down, 2nd up setting is really nice.

I love the timmy lots, but i love my TIm a bit more!

The TIM is just a lot more tweakable.

Both are keepers for sure@!

16. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Are these switches only on the Timmy?
    My Tim is from sept/03

17. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Tim has the knob on the back- pulled out=most compressed, pushed in=least compressed. Unfortunately you can't get the in-between compression setting like you can on the Timmy with one DIP up and one down.

18. BJF

BJF Member

Hi

That is a damned good point, C-paul.
    I did try the TIM and it is awfully good, so that I could think of few people that would not have use for this pedal- unless they have a master volume on their amps, albiet a bit high for my taste and also I'd like to set an in between, between compressed and not.
    Paul is also the nicest guy you could ever meet or talk to so really from this I do see a Timmy in my future.

I do keep this shelf of the best pedals I have ever tried you know for reference so I can recommend the best tool for the task.
    TIM did have a better home in mind but the Timmy may just be the thing and I think I will take you up on that offer ,mr Cochrane

Now give the guy a brake on this thing and straighten the line of orders would you?
    Everybody's going to get what they want with a bit of patience and just because you spotted a future classic doesn't mean nooneelse did before you-
    just so you know in case you are waiting to recieve
    and get nervous.

Don't worry, be happy- it'll come to you ( and that goes to Paul C too)

BJ