Timmy/Eternity stack?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steeeve, Sep 14, 2005.

1. steeeve

steeeve Member

Anyone do this? I've pretty much decided to sell everything and get these two, but I'd like to know how they get along.

BTW, I did a search and couldn't find what I needed specifically.

Thanks.

2. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

For a brief moment I had both pedals and while A/B'ing them I left them both on and played a bit. It works for sure, wasn't my sound but if you like GAIN it was convincing!

3. steeeve

steeeve Member

See that's the thing. I don't really want crazy gain. I like the sounds of these two pedals for low and medium. I want to be able to get high(ish) gain without using three pedals.

Hmm, I'm thinking I need a separate pedal for a higher gain singing lead tone with, in fact, more mids and compression.

4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Have you checked out the Radial Hot British ToneBone? It's a good high gain pedal with nice mids and a good amount of compression.

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

First, even over the Tim, the Eternity boosts other pedals like nothing I’ve heard. I’ve never played a pedal that didn’t turn into mud when used with another pedal. Or into an amp for that matter. Somehow Sean Dunigan got it RIGHT with the Eternity!

Secondly, as for a fuller distortion for high gain leads, for a $150 I got a brand new Keeley RAT and I love it. It’s a nice full, compressed distortion that has about 5% of a fuzz tone when cranked. It’s a nice flavor. My gigging rig contains an Eternity and the K RAT.

Also, some don’t get it, but I still think the Tonebone Classic is the best high gain distortion pedal made.

6. steeeve

steeeve Member

Hey thanks for the replies,

I haven't tried the Tonebones yet, so maybe I should. I have a Mini Mos, and a bit brighter version of that I think would get me close. Need to check out the 4-knobber I think.

Aaron, I had forgotten about how much I liked the clips of the Keeley Rat on his site.

I really like the sound of the Eternity, so maybe a comp and a booster that I could cut a little bass and treble with (like the RC) might be the ticket for the singing lead stuff. I was planning to get a clean boost to replace my Klon and a comp to replace my TC anyway.

Hmm...brainstorming time.

7. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Because of clips I've heard and all of the great reviews I've recently decided that I was going to get a Timmy and an Eternity and I feel that this should be the ultimate setup for overdrive. I plan to run the Eternity at higher gains and the Timmy at medium gains and for a really huge singing soud I would boost the Eternity with the Timmy. Has anyone tried this setup and how does it sound? Also I play a Les Paul through a marshall 100w set very clean.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Oh Crap! 20forSeven... that's going to be a cool setup!

9. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

That's what I think. I see that you're a big supporter of the Eternity, I've seen some people say that it is too smooth to get high gain sounds and then I've heard some people say it has more gain than an OCD. (which I also own and would probably be the third OD on my board.) Which is true? because the OCD has a ton of gain and it seems weird that someone would say the Eternity has more. Also everyone seems to favor the timmy for low or medium gain but the gainster has a clip with the drive at noon on a clean amp and it sounds fantastic and has a lot of sustain. So obviously I am a little confused, all I know is these pedals never get any thing but fantastic reviews and I am one of those people who always wants the best. I guess worst case scenario I'll find out how each pedal works best when I finally have them under my feet.

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I've only played an OCD once and from memory I wouldn't say the Eternity has more gain. The OCD is a straight up "distortion" in my opinion, not an overdrive. But the Eternity DOES have more gain than a regular OD.

A Tube Screamer, Boss SD-1, and Fulldrive II are all Overdrives.

The best way to describe the Eternity is that it is a mix between a distortion and an overdrive. In that, it has a slightly clean gain (can hear a hint of the clean guitar mixed in, I stress a HINT) like a regular OD... But it has a full frequency response, like a distortion pedal. My Eternity has more bass than my Keeley RAT if that helps