Timmy for high gain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rob Eadgbe, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

The Timmy is so versatile and has a great range of tones that I was thinking of trying to use one as a distortion pedal. I have another one on the way (should be in the mail as I type). Is it as simple as flipping the dip switches and trying a different chip? Does changing chips even affect the gain? If so, any advice on what chips to try?

2. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I wouldn't say it gets high gain--about medium gain in the compressed mode. If you follow the link in my sig, you can here a bunch of different chips played through the timmy. My favorite is the TL072. If you like the open EQ of the Timmy but want a bit more gain, you should try the OCD.

3. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

Thanks for the link, as well as the effort in doing the opamp test. It really seems that all I can expect is a subtle difference in gain and EQ from an opamp change. You're probably right, the OCD may be a better bet.

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Have you thought about stacking the two Timmys?

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Not really. You can get 2 Timmy's for $210. That's considerably less than most single boutique ODs being sold today.

6. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

stacking the Timmy with another overdrive can get you a great high gain sound if you dial them right.... doesn't even need to be 2 Timmy's... just put the Timmy last is what I've learned.

7. Joses

Joses Member

Yep, i'm in agreement here. Timmy stacks well on the end of literally anything! :AOK

8. rcl

rcl Member

+1 on stacking!

I put the TIM last in the chain and always have it on. ALWAYS. Bass and treb all the way down(not blocking any) Gain at maybe 9-11 and volume around 3. I feed that with a BB preamp and control the beast with the volume knobs on the guitar. Simply amazing. If I need to hit the high gain world, kick in the TIM boost and you are there.

9. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

Less than a Timmy and an OCD...