Timmy for high gain?

Rob Eadgbe

The Timmy is so versatile and has a great range of tones that I was thinking of trying to use one as a distortion pedal. I have another one on the way (should be in the mail as I type). Is it as simple as flipping the dip switches and trying a different chip? Does changing chips even affect the gain? If so, any advice on what chips to try?

Angle Loss

I wouldn't say it gets high gain--about medium gain in the compressed mode. If you follow the link in my sig, you can here a bunch of different chips played through the timmy. My favorite is the TL072. If you like the open EQ of the Timmy but want a bit more gain, you should try the OCD.

Rob Eadgbe

I wouldn't say it gets high gain--about medium gain in the compressed mode. If you follow the link in my sig, you can here a bunch of different chips played through the timmy. My favorite is the TL072. If you like the open EQ of the Timmy but want a bit more gain, you should try the OCD.
Thanks for the link, as well as the effort in doing the opamp test. It really seems that all I can expect is a subtle difference in gain and EQ from an opamp change. You're probably right, the OCD may be a better bet.

stacking the Timmy with another overdrive can get you a great high gain sound if you dial them right.... doesn't even need to be 2 Timmy's... just put the Timmy last is what I've learned.

Joses

stacking the Timmy with another overdrive can get you a great high gain sound if you dial them right.... doesn't even need to be 2 Timmy's... just put the Timmy last is what I've learned.
Yep, i'm in agreement here. Timmy stacks well on the end of literally anything! :AOK

rcl

+1 on stacking!

I put the TIM last in the chain and always have it on. ALWAYS. Bass and treb all the way down(not blocking any) Gain at maybe 9-11 and volume around 3. I feed that with a BB preamp and control the beast with the volume knobs on the guitar. Simply amazing. If I need to hit the high gain world, kick in the TIM boost and you are there.

Trending Topics