Timmy + low gain for medium gain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ahcleinad, Feb 6, 2012.

1. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

Played this weekend with my EQD Monarch as main drive and Timmy as kind of low gain boost, but started to sound really messy and dirty for some reason. So I've been thinking of just doing 2 low gain drives and replacing the Monarch. Will that give me a good amount of gain? I don't need too much since I have a Riot, but still need a good amount to tell that it is pretty overdriven.

I've heard good things about the MP SHOD with the Timmy. Any others out there?

2. JP~)

JP~) Member

having seen countless posts here saying how great the Timmy stacks after xxx pedal I tried it after my low gain pedal...did a band rehearsal and a jam this way and hated it. Switched it around and it's better. Gonna try that out in the real world next. I think the Timmy likes to be first. I actually just bought a bearfoot sweethoney, so I can circle back in a few days after it arrives....but, pretty much, I'm not looking to boost to medium gain, only to get more ooomph in my low gain for soloing and I keep the Timmy gain knob between 9-11 o'clock

3. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

I found the Xotic EP Boost to be a good oomph for lower gain when you need that little bit of boot to kick in the solo without "unleashing the hounds" of more overdriven gain stages that howl and squeal as soon as you stop playing.

I'm using my Timmy after my main drive just to juice up the solos a hair, and of course, to increase the volume a little as we are a loud 2 guitar band.

4. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

5. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i agree.
    at least for my setup.
    my Rook likes to go after the Timmy for the best result.

6. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

Me too. I just put a Boss BD-2 Keeley Mod after my Tim and I was blown away at the sound. It sounds like a real guitarist's setup! I could go pro with this rig (with a bunch more talent too) :bonk

7. Marrrty

Marrrty Member

I really like OCD > Timmy