Timmy / Mojo hand ROOK Comparisons

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PedalPower, Feb 1, 2012.

1. PedalPower

PedalPower Member

I have been debating over these two for a wile, and wondered anyones thoughts on how similar these two are. The layout is similar so i'm wondering if they cover similar ground?? any help appreciated.

2. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i have both!

i use the Rook as a heavier drive and the Timmy as my mild OD.
    the Timmy is really unique in it's tone controls.
    the Rook is pretty much a straight-forward OD. the three-way toggle of diodes (i think) can get you some really great voicings.

get them both. you won't be disappointed.

3. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer Silver Supporting Member

That sounds like a good plan to me! :aok

4. PedalPower

PedalPower Member

Thanks Footbutt, I'll take your advise and go for both :p

5. Footbutt

yeah. the Rook is really quiet, even at higher gain settings, and i'm liking it more and more.
    the Treble and Bass have a great range, where you can dial in a muddy tone or a brighter one. i did try it out on Bass and it did pretty darn well considering it's not setup for all the low-end crunch. still retained a lot of the lows while still staying agressive. (i'm sure someone could mod one to be more bass-retaining, but hey, this is a guitar forum, right?)

so yeah. Rook = awesome.
    and the Timmy... well, you don't have to look very far to see the deserving praise it gets around here.

6. b_rad

b_rad Member

Agreed. :)

7. meterman

meterman Member

the Rook looks interesting! Not familiar with that brand but I like the description and the box is very cool looking IMHO. My Timmy's not going anywhere but I'm still *kinda* looking for a medium gainer, using the Plimsoul right now. Anybody Rook users also tried the Plimsoul and if so how did they compare?

8. Footbutt

ha! i had a Plimsoul a while back, not during the same time i owned/own my Rook though.
    The Plimsoul to me was waaay too noisy. lot's a buzz. Two gain stages seemed like a right idea for my setup, but i couldn't dial in a setting that was low on noise.
    i can crank the gain on my Rook and the noise floor is very tolerable.

9. PedalPower

PedalPower Member

I have the Plimsoul, its a real versatile drive. like it much better than my previous two OCD's(V2,V4). But it doesn't capture exactly what i'm hunting for. The versatility is good, the tones arn't 100% there for me. But darn close. i'm hoping the Rook and/or Timmy will get me closer to that elusive tone. my Plim wasn't to noisey though.

10. Footbutt

yeah, i'd like to think i had a dud, but i'm uber happy now with the Timmy + Rook.

i might want a Colossus down the road, though.

11. PedalPower

PedalPower Member

Oooh Yeah, the Mojo Hand stuff is awesome, i started out with the Nebula phaser, it was my first 2-3 years ago. Colossus sounds like a winner fa sure.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  12. meterman

meterman Member

I haven't noticed my Plimsoul being noisy either, I'll have to listen for it. I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on the Rook + Timmy, from the description it seems like it might be similar to a Landgraff or Boiling Point but for alot less money. Haven't heard any clips of it yet. I'm pretty content with the Plim though....