Timmy/New design?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by polifemo, Sep 18, 2006.

1. polifemo

polifemo Member

I might have gotten this all wrong, but if I remember things correctly I saw a quote (on TGP) from Paul C saying that he had discovered that the Timmy sounded a bit harsher than the Tim and that he found a new constructional design for the Timmy to remedy this little problem.

My Timmy is a couple of years old and I would like to know if the newer ones has a different design?

The Timmy is one of my favourite pedals - together with the BJF stuff- but if Paul has found an even better design it would be nice to know about it :)

2. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong, but I think the only difference is that Paul is now using the same pots that are in the Tim. I'm one of the people who found the Timmy a tad bit harsh and fizzy. It was one of the Katrina benefit pedals from last year, so I paid a bit more for it. Paul is a great guy and felt bad that I'd paid so much for a pedal that I was slightly disappointed with and offered to change it to the way he's making them now. I'm happy with the result, but it's not a night and day difference. Very subtle. I still haven't gotten it to sound exactly like my Tim, but I've got it setup to something very useable now, so I'm a happy camper. Honestly, if I'd never heard the Tim, I probably wouldn't have noticed the ever so slight fizzy/harshness with the Timmy. If your happy with your Timmy the way it is, I honestly don't think it's worth worrying about.

3. onemind

onemind Member

Using both a Tim and Timmy I find I really like the Timmy in the assymetrical clipping mode. I don't know if this is affected by any 'changes' but worth trying if you're not happy with the stock Timmy sound.

4. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Intersting...when I got my Timmy in '05 I had a used Tim at the time (which I already had commited to sell at the arrival of Timmy) and noticed the difference. Paul said he hadn't noticed a difference at that time, but apparenty others must have commented. I have a Tim on order, so I guess back to square one. Not that I'm disappointed at all with the Timmy, but side by side there is a slight difference. Wonder if Paul would update a Timmy?
    Greg

5. PaulC

PaulC Member

I did notice a difference before, but I put it down to the taper of the smaller pots being different along with the different layout of the timmy circuit vs the Tims'. Most of the difference is that what could be "5" on a timmy knob could be "7" on a tim. I do prefer the bigger pots used in the TIM for this very reason.

There is a slight change to the way the clipping circuit works due to the Tim pedal having the one switch vs the 2 dip switches in the timmy. This turned out to have a small effect on the quality of the distortion. about 3 months ago i changed the clipper circuit to give you the same setup as Tim, but still having the extra options that the 2 switches gave. I've changed out a bunch for people with about a 60/40 split between who can hear it, and who can't.

Later, PaulC

6. polifemo

polifemo Member

Thanks Paul.
    I´m happy with my Timmy, even if the new ones are even "better"!

7. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

I'm one of the few who thinks the timmy is pretty harsh...

So does Paul offer this change to old pedals, or is he just making new ones....

I think i might post a "trade" thread for a swap for a newer guy...

8. drolling

drolling Member

I believe Paul's offering the 'upgrade' for a nominal fee to cover shipping costs. Details would be in the original thread from a few months back, which I couldn't find.

But in the post above, Paul says that 40% of Timmy users who've had the mod done can't hear the difference. I've got two of 'em (original version), and a TIM, too. They're definitely bright, edgy sounding pedals, compared to, say, a tubescreamer.. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, tho' for me, they're a refreshing change from the gazillions of smooth, mid-boosted overdrives.

What kinda amps you running w/your Timmy?

9. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

hey paul Aldo here! totally happy with the timmy the way it is! thanks for a great pedal, with gain set @9-10 there is plenty of fire and no harshness for me!:YinYang

10. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

Well, See, I'm running it into a DC-30, so i suppose that would explain some of the problem...Although I guarrantee I'll be one of the 40% who will hear a difference. I'm a tone freak, and i've always heard differences in borderline situations, or at least an exaggeration in what people always say is a pedal's noted character.

Ya know, on second thought, how long has he been doing the changes, do timmy's have serial #'s? which one's are the new batch? I may have a new one, although i'm pretty sure it's an older model, cause it sure is brittle...

For my own taste's sake, I'd love to hear I have an older model...:crazy

11. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I believe it's only been in the last several months since the change was made.

12. filmosound

filmosound Member

Instead of sending your older Timmy to Paul to get a subtle change in the clipper circuit, others have commented in the past that changing the op-amp chip has helped achieve the sound they're looking for. Of those who have experimented with op-amp swaps, some prefer a 4558 or LM1458 over the stock 4559. The 4558 was what Paul used to use in the Timmy a few years ago.

13. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

I just changed the stock chip with a 1458. There was nothing wrong with the stock but i absolutely love the 1458. Feels even more organic to me than before..and it was already damn natural. A touch smoother too but not tubescreamer smooth, thankfully. as i really don't like TS's

14. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Thanks Paul...and thanks filmo & Stoney for the opamp suggestion.

15. dr.tdw

dr.tdw Member

My Timmy has the newest circuit in it and I did a chip-off with the stock 4559, a LM1458 and the Burr-Brown. The BB won, it has a more subtle feel to it and better decay, but only slight differences really. The Timmy is the best overdrive pedal I've ever played in 23 years of using pedals.

16. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

I have to agree.. i think its because it's a blend of clean boost and OD rather than just OD. You can get all the gerth of a clean boost with some of the zip of an OD. And the EQ is just spectacular. It works incredibley well with my Orange AD30TC