Timmy - not impressed with high gain

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GAD, Aug 31, 2008.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps I'm spoiled with my Zen, but I just bought a Timmy used and tried it out.

I will say that I am impressed by the boost. Volume without gain (according to the knobs) is very clean and useful. I can see using this pedal for that alone.

I'm marginally impressed with low gain. Sounds pretty crunchy. I can see why people like it for low gain.

Turning the gain up results in this aweful sort of torn speaker sound that I don't really like.

am I doing something wrong here? Is it just not designed to be used with higher gain? My Zen has wonderful crunch but becomes silky smooth when I turn the gain up.

GAD

2. sandman

sandman Member

keep rolling off bass/treble as you're adding gain

but yeah they excel at low gain grit

3. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Must be something wrong. I run mine with the gain all the way up. I use a Suhr classic and a Gibson SG and it sounds great with both of them. Not like a torn speaker at all.

4. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

try adjusting the dip switches inside for different clipping options as well... might make a difference in finding what you're looking for

5. GAD

I did play with the dip switches.

I will say that I bought the pedal for a different flavor of low gain OD, so I'm OK with it, but to my ears the higher gain is just icky.

I did notice that it sounds better when I roll off the bass/treble.

GAD

6. PaulC

PaulC Member

The pedal is designed to have all the bottom and top there for the low gain/clean boost settings. The thing is you have to take them out to keep the bottom tight, and to take out the harsh highs as you turn up the gain. It was done this way to give it a wide range of gain.

A good starting point is to set the gain/bass/treble controls to the same setting. Set them all to 0 for a flat clean booster. Set them all to 12 o'clock for a mild crunch, and dime them all (5 o'clock) for the medium gain sounds it has. That should give you a tighter bottom with a smoother top.

Of course it might just not be what you're looking for. I'm fine with that. If you want to talk about it feel free to call me at 615-896-8555. I hope you didn't pay the silly used prices for it, and if so I hope you can return it. I give a full weeks trial with it because I know it's not for everybody.

Later, PaulC
    myspace.com/paulcaudio

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

As others (including Paul) have said the secret is in grabbing a handful of those cut controls as you increase the gain.

Having said that I don't really think that the Timmy/TIM pedals are high gain devices-they excel at clean boost through to medium gain. Should stack great with your Zen though if you get the settings right.

8. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I agree. You should keep dialing the eq back as the gain increases.... but the high point of the pedal to me is low to medium gain. If you want high gain, set the Timmy for low gain and stack a pedal in front of it. Some of the best high gain tones I've gotten have been a stack and you get the advantage of the eq of the Timmy last in line. I did that tonight with a Menatone Blue Collar and a treble boost in front of it.

9. novawind

novawind Member

I was sold on the Tim BECAUSE it's known to be a fantastic low gain OD. My OCD has more than enough gain for anything else I want to do.

10. IvIark

IvIark Member

+1. Zen into Timmy is :AOK

11. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I actually run my Zen in the loop of the TIM pedal. I set the Tim for low gain and the boost for a lead boost (volume/gain jump just enough for solos). I keep the Zen in the loop. For songs needing extra gain, I keep the Zen turned on and when I hit the Tim button, both come on 'cascded' for an excellent rock crunch. For most songs, however, the Tim is fine alone. I like it in the loop, so I only have one button to hit for OD, either flavor...low gain or mid gain (I don't do high gain). I use the Boost switch for solos either with Tim alone or with Tim/Zen combo.

12. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Regarding the "torn speaker" sound. I find the the higher gain sound on my TIM only work when my amp is already breaking up. The lower gain sounds are unbelievable through a clean amp, but higher settings sound best to "add" to a dirty or semi-dirty amp.

Are you playing into a clean amp with higher gain settings?

TG

13. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Try it at 12 volts. Really seems to increase the headroom and help it become fuller.

Oh, ya, and call Paul seeing as he built the pedal and has offered to help. ;) I'll bet he has better advice than me. hehe

14. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

IMO the Timmy really sounds best with single coils. With buckers it sounds good too, but not as good as singles. I set mine at Gain: 9:00 Vol: 12:00 and Bass/Treble at 11:00 to 12:00.

But +1 to the cut controls - you HAVE to cut the treble as you turn the gain up or the highs get too shrill.

15. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

It's great with high gain when stacked. It pains to sell mine (see the FS forum) but I have too many dirt pedals.

16. GAD

Wow - thanks all! So cool to have the make appear as well!

I spent some quality time with the pedal today, and thanks to the advice here tried stacking with my Analogman TS808 and/or Zen. I have a G-system that has built-in pedal loops, so I can easily stack any two or even all three with ease.

Holy smokes that's some growl! :)

When I'd stack the TS and the Zen I'd just get more gain and volume, but it was more... "metally" sounding. When I stack the Timmy and the Zen I get more crunch than either can do on their own, or with the gain down I can just add volume.

Very cool.

So I'm still not impressed with the high gain (though it does sound better with the EQ tweaked) - now I just don't care. :)

Thanks all!

GAD

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

If you wanted higher gain you bought the wrong pedal, you needed to buy the TIM.

18. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Part of the magic of the Timmy is it's stacking capabilities. I've never put a pedal with it that it couldn't complement in some way.

19. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Are you sure this is correct? I'm pretty sure the timmy was always the higher gain pedal. Even though the Tim will do the timmy sound with the boost pot pulled.

20. PaulC

PaulC Member

Tim is the higher gain pedal. Timmy is a small version of the main section of tim with just a little bit more gain on tap. Think of the main part of tim going 0 to 10, timmy going 0 to 15, and tim with the boost on going 0 to 30.

But again - the design was never ment to be a high gain thing in the first place. If that's what somebody is looking for they're the wrong pedals.

Later, PaulC
    myspace.com/paulcaudio