Timmy on all the time? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Jun 21, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey,

So i've got a Timmy, which i absolutely love and i'm currently waiting on a Tim (ordered at the end of March). I really like the EQ controls on the Timmy, and was planning, after the Tim arrives, on setting the Timmy's EQ to my liking, and using it at or just above unity gain just to clean things up and give my tone a little sparkle.

I previously had and sold a Zvex SHO, which I was using for this purpose. I really liked the SHO, but I wasn't using it for a clean/slight gain boost (I use my Timmy for that now) and since i'm not playing live or recording, the benefit of the added sparkle for bedroom playing just didn't justify the cost.

My question is - does anyone here run their Timmy on all the time, just to help give a little boost and clean up/add presence and sparkle to your tone?

Also, I have been gassing for a MD EQ or a SB EQ (i've never been much of an EQ-guy) for a while now. I know the Timmy's EQ controls aren't equal to the MDEQ or SBEQ, but if I were to run the Timmy on all the time, would this essentially negate the need for an EQ? A better way of asking would be - would I get any benefit to adding a separate EQ to the chain as well? I currently play through a Mesa/Boogie DC-3, which has a 5-band EQ, that i usually run on the OD channel but not the clean.

Looking forward to your input!

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I was using my Timmy that way. Then I got a Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso and that sounded better to me for that purpose. On a whim yesterday, I got my Tim out to see if I'd like it more than the SCP, and although it sounded better than the Timmy, it went back to the closet. But yeah, I alternated between the Tim and Timmy as my 'leave on sparkle box' for a good while.

3. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

I leave my Tim on all the time to add a little hair to a low volume amp. I have an Eternity before the Tim and a Landgraff DO after. My Zen is currently not on my board but not going anywhere. My Zen 2 should be here in a week.

4. erksin

erksin Member

I don't leave my Timmy on all the time, but I can tell you the MDEQ is a really nice compliment to the Timmy - they don't step on each others toes at all IMO.

A really cool application is running the MDEQ with some mids bumped to thicken up the Timmy - it's not a Tube Screamer effect at all, just thickens without losing bass or sparkle.

MDEQ or SBEQ - you ought to try one. I was never an EQ guy either, but what they can do for your cleans alone is worth the price, especially playing at bedroom volumes.

5. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Exactly what I wanted to hear!!

Thanks!

Brian

6. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

It a low bedroom setting, Yes I either leave the Timmy or RC Boost on as part of my core sound--then step on one of my other ODs for leads. The way I have the Timmy set, it's slightly more gainy than the RC, so depending on what I want, I either stack an OD with it or the RC.

Less often, I use 3 pedals stacked (Zendrive, Timmy, Landgraff)--it can be a little noisey at high volumes but a lot of fun! (it's not so much of a problem at low bedroom levels so at home I go for it and get big sound at safe bedroom levels!)

7. asdf

asdf Member

Sometimes I have the Timmy on as a base tone, but now that I got a Dano Fish and Chips EQ I'm doing it less and less.

8. Frethog

Frethog Member

I keep trying to find an excuse to turn it off, but I admit that it stays on most of the time.

9. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

2 Timmys = 1 Tim + more versatility.... could be wrong but just MHO....

just lucky to have these pedals...