Timmy or super hard on

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, Dec 31, 2005.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

I use a bunch of effects, have long cables and want to increase my impendance or improve my sound via a buffer. i don't want a true buffer but something like the super hard on. However I like the sound of the hard on the added sparkle but I also dislike some other aspects of the pedal. Would the timmy be able to deliver the same sparkle, the same type of improvement in the signal chain, be the type of pedal you always leave on to add some sparkle? or is the timmy not capable of this type of usage?

2. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I think you would be pleased with the Timmy, or Tim compaired to the SHO. For one the Timmy with the Gain turned down is an awesome clean boost that has the same kind of sounds you would get from the SHO, but if the sparkle is too much you can dial out the Treble by increasing the treble pot. And the Timmy and Tim can be the best overdrive you'll ever hear, so you have the best of both worlds.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

3. Thazy

Thazy Member

I have been using my Timmy last in my chain, replacing my FatBoost. I leave it on most of the time and just adjust the gain and volume as needed. Really works well for a clean boost or to add it magic dust to the overall sound. It makes every pedal/effect just sound better. It loves single coils and humbuckers too. Combine it with a TS808 style OD and it sounds great.

4. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

It depends on the sound you're after. The SHO does a nice job of adding a glassy, soft compression. Although There seems to be a 50/50 split of those who experienced noise problem and those who do not. Unfortunately I was in the prior group.

I replaced the SHO with a Durham Sex Drive and it was fantastic. It has a similar soft compression and adjustable tone control, but does not get the glassy effect of the SHO.

My latest boost is an RC Booster. It is my favorite. It simply gives you more of your tone and is awesome for adding a little kick to an overdrive pedal. The RC into a Zendrive or OCD is very cool.

I also have a TIM, but it is the last drive pedal in my chain. (RC is first) I love the TIM, but feel there is a definite place for both on my board.

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Well said suhr rodney.

6. seanc

seanc Member

who make these tim and timmy pedals?

7. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Paul Cochrane - a simple search will bring up a wealth of info on both pedals, including how to get in touch with Paul....

Now onto my input. I just received my Timmy last week, but unfortunately, due to my schedule of overnight, emergency shifts since then, i really haven't been able to play it, and have no clue as to the possible uses of it.

Weird enough, I was going to post a similar thread, in that I am als interested in the SHO, and wondered if it would be stupid/waste of resources/etc to use this also. I realize the SHO add's a certain sparkle, which i think i'd like. Is this the case with the Timmy too? Could the Timmy be used for an OD, with the SHO at the end of the chain to add a sparkle to the tone? Do these basically do the same thing?

Where do those of you that use the SHO generally place it in your chain?

Brian

8. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I used a SHO for a couple of years and pretty much left it on all the time. It really helped to fatten up the sound but could produce a little noise occasionally.
    I have a Timmy now that is a much more versatile pedal. It can give you great low gain od and it can also be run clean and used to brighten up a dark amp or guitar. I run it with a 65 Amp which tends to be kind of dark sounding. The Timmy works great with it. And Paul C. is a really nice guy.
    Never tried the Tim pedal but I hear it delivers more gain.:JAM

9. trumpus

So did you replace the SHO with the Timmy? Do you use it to fatten up your tone still (in addition to the potential for added gain and clean boost)?

Where in your chain did you have the SHO? Where do you currently have the Timmy?

I'm trying to decide if i should run my timmy at the end of my chain to use it for the added sparkle and fattness and the potential of using it as a clean boost - or if i should run it as my last OD pedal and use it for a little dirt and to drive the tubes a bit (and then pick up a SHO to use at the end of my chain for added sparkle).

Any thoughts?

Brian

10. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Supporting Member

Ok, this is going to sound crazy but, when someone says "last pedal in chain", what does that mean? Does that mean directly connected to your guitar or your amp? Also when they say, "I put that pedal in front of" another pedal, what does that mean? Is is closer to the amp input or the guitar input?

Please don't flame me. I'm just asking.

11. trumpus

I'm assuming most people agree that the last pedal in the chain is the one closest to the amp, and putting one pedal before another implies that it is closer to the guitar.

I think of it from the "notes'" perspective (or more correctly, the electrical signal, generated by the pickups). In what order do they encounter which pedal on the way to the amp?

Brian

12. drolling

drolling Member

Perfectly legitimate question. Last in the chain means right before your amp. In front of means before- its means closer to the guitar than the amp. It can be confusing & I'm always shuffling around the order of my pedals anyway. No rules in this game.

To get to the question at hand, I've never used an SHO, but I don't see how you could possibly go wrong w/a Timmy. If you don't like it there's a money back gaurantee, altho most people seem to prefere selling them for a lot more than they paid. I know that Paul keeps a record of his customers and if I was him, I would not sell these individuals another one, ever, at any price.

13. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Supporting Member

thank you

14. trumpus

Bump - Still looking for input from J Purcell!

I finally had a few minutes to play around and i LOVE this pedal, but the options for where to run it and how to use it are overwhelming me. I just bought a used SHO from another member and can't wait 'till it comes.

Right now, i'm running the Timmy at the end of my chain (as i re-arranged my Vibe to put it closer to the beginning). ANd today i used it as both a clean boost (which sounded incredible) and a low gain OD. I run it after my FD2, but i am thinking of running it before, and leaving the SHO on all the time at the end of the chain for added fattness/sparkle.

How do you use your Timmy's with your SHO's??

Brian

15. dave s

dave s Member

Contrary to the other poster who answered your question, my 'last pedal' in the loop is closest to my guitar.

We both could be right. We both could be wrong.

But in the case of running multiple gain pedals, I'm using a SHO to boost the guitar signal, not the amp signal. And equally as contrary to others, this works for me.

That said, my signal is guitar >>> wireless >>> SHO (clean boost) >>> OD >>> Dist >>> chorus >>> Delay >>> Reverb >>> amp.

dave

ps: It should be known that I'm a left-handed person playing righty and do pretty much EVERYTHING bassackward!

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I use an SHO at the beginning of the chain, more for the buffer than anything (very little boost used) and the Timmy at the end where I kind of feel the extra EQ is useful for tailoring the sound to a specific amp (just before the volume pedal, then into the amp).