TIMMY or the HOTCAKE?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gpro34, Mar 5, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I have been seeing a lot of these on pedal board photos. Are these both overdrives? and if so what are their differences? which has more gain ect. Which do you prefer?

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

I believe the Hot Cake as A LOT more drive /gain then the Timmy. I've never played either though. I've heard them and they're both fantastic units.

3. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

Hotcake does have a bit more gain then the Timmy. I think the Timmy is better IMHO. The Hotcake Bluesberry is the lower gain version and might be closer to the Timmy, and I'm currently considering getting that. The Timmy is great, well worth the wait, and Paul C is a great guy.

4. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

The Timmy probably has more applications as it can be a flat clean boost or an overdrive up to mid-gain capability. The EQ is super-good and seems to work with almost any amp. The fact that it uses a socketed opamp and has little DIP switches inside means that you can fine-tune it for your set-up even more.The Hotcake has a real character to it with more gain and compression and sounds thicker but is a bit more subject to taste with certain amps. I found that it had a little top-end trashiness on decay that bugged me a tiny bit but apparently the new Bluesberry version doesn't. Both great pedals and would work very nicely together.

5. erksin

erksin Member

Apples and oranges - they sound nothing alike IMO...

Hotcake has a lot of bottom and high-end sizzle - more gain than the Timmy. Sounds like pre-amp distortion IMO. Buffered - not TB (but a GREAT buffer).

Timmy has lower gain and a more flexible EQ - basically sounds like your amp, power amp-style OD tone. True-bypass.

6. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

Apples and Oranges indeed but they'd make a nice Pear/Pair!

OK sorry...I'll be quiet now.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

This is mostly true, but the Hotcake with the presence and gain all the way down is not affecting the signal (when engaged- as it is buffered bypass), this is a great way to use it as a completely transparent clean boost. I like the presence up some, it sounds good to me, though now you are coloring the sound. I sold my Hotcake to get a Bluesberry version at some point.

8. filmosound

filmosound Member

Don't forget the Hotcake maker is also named Paul C! (Paul Crowther) He's a great guy too.

9. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

Hahaha I remembered that right after I posted, but just hoped nobody would notice:eek:

10. modoc

modoc Guest

I love my hotcake...bought a bluesberry and didn't like it as much. I've tried the Timmy and although liked it, not as much as a Hotcake. Totally different beast but equally as useful. I think in the end you just have to try them and see what suits your amps and ears.

11. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

modoc,
    Could you elaborate on why you didn't like the Bluesberry as much as the regular 'Cake? I have the regular HC and while I love it I've thought about getting Paul to mod it to Bluesberry specs for a little smoother top end.
    Greg

12. dosmun

dosmun Member

As was mentioned they are both different. I think the Hotcake is a little warmer sounding where the TIM/Timmy seems to add a solid state high end sound that I can't seem to dial out with my rig. I have both a TIM and HC. The HC is my "must have" ped and is used as a dirty boost that is always on. I have used both for the same purpose but the HC just seems to sound more natural with my main amp (Rivera M-60).

Since they are both reasonably priced get both. The HC also stacks very well with pretty much anything I have ever stacked it with.

13. erksin

erksin Member

Wow - just goes to show how much of a difference the rig makes, I had the exact opposite opinion of the HC vs. Timmy. I didn't like the exagerrated high end fizz of the HC and I didn't think it stacked particularly well with other ODs...

14. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Thanks to everyone for their input and contributions.

15. dosmun

dosmun Member

I set the Presence on my HC at around 9-10 oclock and the Drive at around 9 as well. The Level is maxed out. My Rivera leans toward the darker side so that may be part of it as well. Certain pedals including the TIM seem to add a wierd transistory high end that i just can't dial out. I had a Blues Devil that did the same thing. It is not a fizzy high end sound but more of a Hi-Fi sound if that makes any sense.

16. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Which is one of these would be closer to a RAT type sound? If any...

thanks
    Lou

17. dosmun

dosmun Member

If I had to pick 1 of the two I would say the Hotcake but neither are close to the sound of Rat.

18. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

Try just getting them both. The Timmy gains money if you decide to re-sell it (which I doubt you will) and the Hotcake doesn't seem to lose too much. Plus they are a nice combo stacked IMHO.

19. modoc

modoc Guest

Hard to put my finger on it. I guess it didn't sit as well with my gear quite like the hotcake does. I found that there was a smoother top end and less gainwith Bluesberry BUT i actually enjoy the upper mid peak and extra gain of the stock hotcake...it just seems to cut better in the mix with a band and lets the harmonics jump out a little better :)
    Gear wise i run a VOX AC-30 reissue with anico blues and an OD-100 with the matching CAE 2x12 with Govs with my effects switched with a GCX switching system...primarily (RC Booster, Cornish TB83-extra, Hotcake, MI Audio CrunchBox, Demeter Tremulator & Fuzzulator, Arion SCH-1 and TC G-Major for delays)

20. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

modoc,
    Don't know how I missed your reply a week ago but thanks!
    Greg