Timmy pedal vs. my FDII

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HeeHaw, Sep 25, 2005.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I have both of em' side by side fellas. I borrowed a Timmy from a friend.

The Timmy seems to have a better overall tonal sweetness to it, plus better EQ options, but sucks the highs out somewhat when it's turned off. The bass response is better on the Timmy as well.

The fulldrive has a flatter boost but has a mild mid hump that the tone knob won't let you dial out. Also it sucks zero highs when turned off. The true baypass works better on this pedal.

For the money, I'll go with the Timmy, unless you can find someone willing to add an EQ mod to the FDII.

I don't like either on of them totally. *sigh* the search continues

2. dave s

dave s Member

Interesting. I've owned a TIM and a FDII. Both are gone and I have an OCD on the way.

You are correct. The quest for the right dirt continues.

dave

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I must be a fickle bastrid, because these pedals were all hyped up here and I didn't care for either one.:D

4. Azon

Azon Member

I'm not sure how the Timmy can suck highs when off. It's a true bypass pedal. There should be no tonal coloration when in bypass mode.

The bypass in the FD2 is no better than the Timmy. They use the same 3PDT footswitch, so the bypass is exactly the same. Something was wrong with your tests.

Az

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

Different strokes...

What type of tone are you looking for?

6. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

There seem to be an infinite number of variables in this tone quest.

Different guitars, pickups, amps, strings, speakers, cables, etc.

I have probably played thrity or more dirt pedals including the Timmy and the FD2. I have kept ten. That doesn't mean the other twenty sucked.

Well, maybe the MT-2. :D

It also depends on what mood I'm in. The first time I played the Mosferatu, I loved it. The next day I was wondering if someone had dosed me. It sucked. Luckily, I got over that. The Mos is one I kept. ;)

BTW, I kept the Timmy and let the FD2 go.

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I can't explain it either, it just happened that way. same cables both pedals plugged in the exact same orientation. There is nothing wrong with my tests. I'd invite anyone to come and witness it. It isn't much of a bleed off, but just very slight compared to the FDII. Don't get me wrong, the Timmy is a nifty little pedal, and powerfull too.:cool: Just not sure it it's for me or not.

8. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I have both pedals also and don't notice this. Maybe something is wrong with yours?

9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Aural memory is highly unreliable so one is left with impressionistic evaluations to a considerable degree IMO even in many A/B tests.

I can't say I hear any loss of or lack of treble with the TIM that I can hear, or that I would consider measurable or significant. Nor can I with the FD2. To my subjective ears they both sound like good true bypass pedals and the TIM wins for overal openness and lack of coloration, though I have not yet sold off my FD2. FWIW, it's the FY latest version and I use it in Comp Cut mode.

Jon

10. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    It's not the pedals, it's probably your cables. What length and brand of cables are you using? What type of guitar/pickups are you playing? If you are playing some vintage single coil pickups through 2 25 foot cables you may be loading your pickups, which is not so evident whne either pedal is on. Not much else would explain this problem.

TheGrooveking

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Guys I'm not saying the Timmy was a bad pedal or anything, I'm just saying the highs were lacking a little when it was turned off compared to the Fulldrive. Truth be known I was only using a 5 foot cable and a 2 foot jumper to the amp. Both of good quality. I'm going to try it again tonight to see if my ears weren't playing tricks on me.

12. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I've got a Tim and I don't notice any loss of highs when the pedal is off. I'd almost be willing to take the aural test with you since I too live in Roanoke. I don't have an FDII, but I do have an OCD here.

13. larc

larc Member

You might want to consider using some type of cleaner (like Deoxit) on the Timmy. Could be a dirty jack.

If you still think you're hearing a difference in highs, try opening both pedals and compare the wires used between the switch and the jacks. "Cork Sniffy" says different wires might not sound the same.

14. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

OK OK OK. I tried the pedals again last night and wasn't able to duplicate the loss of highs.:confused: Maybe ear phatigue of an amp blasting?:confused:

The Timmy is a fine OD pedal indeed! The FDII sounds like a TS9 with more oomph and range. It's a cool pedal, but the Timmy edged it out with a better EQ control.

So I have to eat my hat on this thread. There is no loss of highs that I can detect. I apologize. The Timmy is a kickass pedal!