Timmy Question

Will Nova

Hey guys! My first Timmy arrived today. It's a 2012 silver/green sparkle w the dip switch on the outside.
I'm playing an 89 Strat Plus into a 93/94 US Blues Deluxe w an Alessandro 12" and the mod kit- Set completely clean.

So far, the best sweet spot seems to be Dip switch in the middle, Gain at 8:30/9, Treble off, Bass at 9:00, Volume at 11:00.

This sounds like a Clean Boost w the tiniest bit of hair. It sounds good but it's a bit shrill..
I see this pedal on 90% of the boards on GP, so can anyone comment if this is the typical application?
I was hoping for a little more drive but it doesn't seem to want to have the gain any higher.

If you're boosting an overdriven Marshall, the Gain is more pronounced and really cuts. If you're like myself and using a clean Fender, it will make your dirt pedals sound alot fuller.

Will Nova

If you're boosting an overdriven Marshall, the Gain is more pronounced and really cuts. If you're like myself and using a clean Fender, it will make your dirt pedals sound alot fuller.
I'm using the Fender clean.
What ODs are you using?
What's the chain?
Thanks for the reply!

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
Clockwise cuts treble and bass. Timmy rule of thumb is to keep the treble and bass at least at the same level as gain. Then if there is too much treble turn the knob clockwise to cut treble. Same for bass.

Will Nova

My point was that I expected it to be a first level/low gain pedal.
I'm not digging any of the gain as it sounds shrill.
It seems to work best for me as a Clean boost.
I was asking how others are using theirs.
I'm aware of how the EQ works.
Thanks for the replies

CaptainAwesome

It definitely is a stupid username
Here's a quote from the man himself...

Try starting like this for dialing in dirt - set the bass and treble to full cut (5 o'clock). This will give it a tight/midrangy sound. Bring the gain up to taste, and then roll the treble back in (counter clockwise) to put the edge you're looking for back on top. Then roll the bass back in if you need a little more.

If you have any problems feel free to call me. 615-896-8555

PaulC
Timmy pedals

dirtandstones

Silver Supporting Member
I may be confused by what you mean by shrill..? You say it's shrill, yet have the treble off which leads me to want to tell you to turn the treble up to kill some highs. I usually have the treble and bass at about 11 o'clock with the gain at 10 to 12 o'clock

Will Nova

I may be confused by what you mean by shrill..? You say it's shrill, yet have the treble off which leads me to want to tell you to turn the treble up to kill some highs. I usually have the treble and bass at about 11 o'clock with the gain at 10 to 12 o'clock
The Gain of the pedal is shrill. Not the EQ. Past 9:00 sounds artificial to me. Not pleasing or round. Just edgy in a bad way.
That said- it fills out my clean sound VERY nicely.
Seems like I'd have it as an always on pedal.

Awesome thanks for the info. That clarifies what I was hearing from the pedal.
I dial mine to get a nice boosted ever so slightly compressed clean base tone. Gain around 10 o'clock. Nothing shrill whatsoever. My OD/FUZZ totally come alive in fullness and sparkle. I just leave it on and forget about it.

jnam

Silver Supporting Member
From the man himself:

Try starting like this for dialing in dirt - set the bass and treble to full cut (5 o'clock). This will give it a tight/midrangy sound. Bring the gain up to taste, and then roll the treble back in (counter clockwise) to put the edge you're looking for back on top. Then roll the bass back in if you need a little more.

If you have any problems feel free to call me. 615-896-8555

PaulC
Timmy pedals

witafro2

can you post a video or a sound example? Your explanation of the gain being shrill doesn't really make sense to me.

Will Nova

I'm sorry I can't even post a pic on the site. It's all good. I'm just going to use it as a Clean Boost and stack it.

Fretsalot

you might try this...

I tend to set up my fuzz & od's (to start) with the tone/eq and gain & volume knobs such that when I turn the pedal on & off repeatedly the pedal starts out as neutral to my base tone. I then tweak the pedal to get where I want to go. I say start off by tone matching the Treble if you can.

Also, I usually set my OD's up with a touch more gain than I want, cuz I found that when I turn them on, and back off the volume at the guitar a smidge, I get something I like more than just stomping the pedal on.

I have the Timmy and use it like I described above. Best wishes,

Fretsalot/Scott

Trending Topics

Top Bottom