Timmy should always go last

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jb1911, Jan 30, 2008.

1. jb1911

jb1911 Member

The 10 Commandments of tone.

Fill in the blanks.

1) Timmy should always go last in your dirt lineup.
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)

2. giggedy

giggedy Member

that about sums it up to me, except replace Timmy with the word Tim

3. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

agreed....

and Fuzzes go first

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

5. giggedy

giggedy Member

it makes everything else sound better. It is very open, doesn't add much compression, and the eq knobs work great. I put Tim last in the dirt line, with the gain around 10:30ish.

6. screamingduck

screamingduck Gold Supporting Member

I have been running my Timmy last with excellent results. However, last night at rehearsal I moved the Timmy towards the front of my chain and replaced the Timmy with a RC Booster at the end. I used the Timmy as a low gain OD to goose all my other boxes from my Eternity,Zendrive, and FDII to all my Menatone amp in a boxes. I was quite pleased with the results. My Tele had such a thick, strong OD flavor that sounded like my Super on 8 instead of the 2 that it was on. I got some very favorable comments from the band so I think I am going to go with this lineup for a while.

7. 6789

6789 Member

Blackstone should go first.

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The timmy is mostly used as a clean/dirty boost or lowgain OD and is often stacked with another pedal. The main reason to use it last is because you can use the EQ to tailor the sound of the chain.

9. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I debate that a Timmy should be last. Sounded better ahead of my RC when I had it like this...

Budda Wah > TU-2 > Mini Deja-Vibe > Timmy > RC

The lineup just sounded better.

10. guildchild

guildchild Member

we've clearly missed / dodged the point of this thread, but the other issues are piquing my interest.

i have a tim / timmy on my doorstep right now and already have my pulled my board apart in preparation....kinda like cleaning the house before important guests come for the weekend.

anyway, my current drive chain is:
    eternity (med gain) - ocd v.3 (low gain) - crunchbox (stupid gain) - rc boost (always on except for when the cb is engaged...they don't seem to like each other)

my intention is the determine which pedal i like as the "always on", and then determine which will be the "more" pedal for solos.

any advice or suggestions? of course, i WILL use my ears, but i'd like to heard from you guys.

11. Creamy

Creamy Member

In addition to what's already been said, Timmy has placement flexibility. It can be one of the least compressed pedals out there. And, unlike most of the other famous ODs, it does not automatically crop frequencies. It is touch and guitar vol pot sensitive but if you use fuzz, should be placed after that. Aside from a modded MXR microamp, I run a Tim last.

12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

mine goes after the Germ and the Red Snapper, but before the Sho

Why the heck do i have all of these OD's with a Budda SD80?
    Well, i think i hated my neighbors.....:D

13. Rock72

Rock72 Member

In the same boat...have the Budda too and no less then 5 OD's on the board...guess it's the versatility it offeres!?!??!? Or just a result of GAS....

To stick partly with the topic of the thread, I have the TIM as the last OD!