Timmy upgrade

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluetweed, Jul 20, 2006.

1. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

Got my Timmy back from paul last week with the diode update and the gain pot changed to the same value as the Tim/ pedal went from very good to just awesome!

2. mcormier

mcormier Guest

what diode did you install in it?

3. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

This is what Paul said from a previous post, and is what I had done!

Actually I believe I found out last week just why the timmy seemed a little harsher than TIM. Just goes to show when you think you know what you're doing...

It has to do with the clipping section and the use of the dip switches. Same circuit, and same parts as TIM, but what I thought was the same diode setup actually had a small difference due to the two dip switches instead of the single pole pull pot. So I've just made a small change to that setup - added two more clippers and rewired it so you get the exact clipping section of the two settings of Tim plus the two asym settings.

It's a small difference, but it's a little smoother with less grain. That plus the lower value TIM gain pot I believe has solved it.

It's also been awhile since I've spent any time with different opamps, and I just got in a gaggle of different ones to try. I'm going to check out alot of the ones you guys have been talking about. If I find something I like better I might make a change. I just hope I don't like the OPAs! Those things are 4 bucks!!

Later, PaulC

4. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Paul fixed up my old Timmy and made him a fresh new Timmy a few weeks ago. I LOVE the results. I originally thought the Tim sounded better than my first version of Timmy, but now little Timmy knocked Tim right off the board. No major change really. It's just more clear and less fizzy sounding than it originally was. But note that the original version sounded VERY good, I just prefer things on the *cleanish* side of clean. Basically more like the Tim. Except oddly enough now, my Timmy is cleaning up better than Tim. :RoCkIn

5. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

MAN! you guys are making me jealous!

hey paul! how is timmy production going?!@?!

6. DaSkip

DaSkip Member

If we are on the list for a Timmy will these tweaks become the standard Timmy? I am just curious.

7. drolling

drolling Member

Yes - those changes are the new standard as of a couple of weeks ago.

8. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

I'm liking my "old" Timmy so much with an LM1458 and asymmetrical mode that I'm too scared to change anything-I'll just wait for my TIM!

I really have got Timmy sounding like I've just turned the AC30 up a couple of numbers on the volume. Timmy retains the amp EQ, chime and feel really well.

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

I'm leaving my Timmy alone.

10. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I've got the standard Timmy, but I placed an order in early June for another Timmy and a Tim. I'm ordering the Timmy for my dad, who was convinced by me to have one on his pedalboard. I'm absolutely in love with my Timmy, but I'm curious to A/B the new one with mine, and run these up against a Tim. It's gonna be nice having both of Paul's pedals on my board!

11. Coach

Coach Senior Member

I just got my Timmy. Don't really care if it's the update or not. I love it.

I'll be calling Paul tomorrow to order another.

12. OOG

OOG Member

me too
    and
    stacking it with my new improved/different Timmy
    gives me some very interesting sounds:cool:

13. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I'm curious... will Paul be doing this with all the new Timmy's he makes? I ordered one back in March so Im simply curious. Sounds like something I would want done. :AOK

14. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Im also curious, how does the timmy compare to the xotic BB preamp??

thanks

Aj

15. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I personally wouldn't compare it at all to the BB. The Timmy on it's cleanest setting steps into RC territory though.

16. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Now that's interesting. I have an older Timmy and am waiting for another one. How do you stack them?

Cheers,

Johan.

17. gururyan

gururyan Member

Anybody care to post clips of the original Timmy vs. Timmy II?

18. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

The 'new Timmy' sounds like the Tim. It's really not that drastic of a difference.

19. stucker

stucker Member

Aj,
    My Timmy replaced my Xotic AC Boost and there can be some similarities between these pedals. The AC tends to be a little darker and more compressed than the Timmy but they can both be effective as low-to-medium gain overdrives.

The Tiimmy's strength is that is has a clarity and responsiveness that can't be obtained with the AC, even with the Timmy set for higher gain. The cut EQ controls on the Timmy are just fantastic. Still, the AC sounds great and I would not hesitate to use it as a backup to the Timmy.