1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Timmy vs. Keeley-modded Blues Driver?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by edwardz, Feb 14, 2009.

1. edwardz

edwardz Member

I've used a Keeley-modded Blues Driver for a couple years now, but after reading about the Timmy I went ahead and ordered one about 6 months ago.

I can't say I'm really crazy about having to wait 6 months (or more) for an overdrive pedal I've never tried, and now I'm wondering if I should tell Paul C. to sell it to the next guy in line.

I really ordered it thinking it would be a good replacement for the BD as a low to medium gain and boost pedal. I'm wondering how they stack up against each other. Is the Timmy so much better than the BD?

Anyone that has compared the two feel free to chime in..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Better is subjective. They do have some similarities in tone and both are great pedals. Myself I choose to use the Keeley BD2 for my low/medium gain boost over the Tim/Timmy primarily because I wanted the buffer near the end of my chain. If you don't need the buffer then the Tim especially would be more versatile.

3. ruger9

ruger9 Member

Only YOU can decide if one is better than the other.

I have owned 2 Keeley BD-2s and currently own a Timmy.

I think they are/can be very similar. At least they are in the way I use them. My amp is already cooking, already breaking up a bit, then I use the Timmy (or BD-2) to push the amp just a little harder for more compression/sustain. I never have the gain knobs above 11:00 on either one.

Used this way, I think they are very similar, and I would be happy with either one. It just "happened" that I now have sold the Keeleys and have the Timmy. It could just as easily been the other way around. Both are transparent drives, both are gritty (amp-like), while you can't adjust the bass on the BD-2, it's on or off, Keeley has just the right amount of bass in that Phat boost. Both are outstanding pedals.

4. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

You`ll like the Timmy. I saw Music Toys iselling them for $130.00 new

5. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i've owned both and agree that you can get both to sound pretty similar. the BD-2 has much more gain on tap. i kept the timmy because i like have the treble and bass cut knobs and adjust them to what type of guitar i'm playing. also, i already have some buffers in my pedal chain so i liked the true bypass the timmy offers. the clipping options on the timmy are a plus as well, but i've always kept the stock clipping mode....

6. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

Wait for the timmy. You won't regret it

7. h20man

h20man Member

I personally think almost anything is better than the BD-2 and the Keeley is only slightly better than a stock one. I don't own a Timmy but the clips I have heard sound great. Get the pedal and see how it works with your setup.

8. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

Keeley BD2 is a Great pedal I've used them for a few years now, right now I have an older 05 signed by Keeley. I play with single coils mostly and the BD2 is a very amp like OD, I too use the gain under 12 O'Clock. I think the Timmy isn't as warm or transparent sounding..

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  9. barkndog

barkndog Member

This is an interesting thread - wish we could get some more opinions. I am in the opposite situation to the OP. I have the Timmy (which I love) but am wondering if the Keeley BD might be even better.

I have a Boss ME-50 laying around and this afternoon I disconnected my main board and played through the ME-50 using just the BD and Tremelo and it sounded absolutely killer with my Strat/Texas Specials. So I'm sure the Keeley version would be even better. Perhaps the BD has a bit more sizzle but I am wondering how transparent it is - which is the main reason I like the Timmy so much. Does the BD affect your tone in any (bad) way?

10. erksin

erksin Member

First - keep your place in line. Its not like you've paid for the thing yet, and you owe it to yourself to try one if you can be patient.

My opinion as somebody who had both at the same time is that the Timmy is a far superior sounding box. The EQ is much more effective, the gain structure sounds much more amp-like, and it has a lot more harmonic stuff going on. The KBD-2 by comparison sounded fizzy, dry, and just plain boring next to the Timmy.

11. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I have a stock BD-2 (sending mine to Keeley soon) and have considered ordering a Timmy to replace my TS-9 (that is, if I don't send that to Keeley first for the plus mod). The stock BD-2 is a good pedal if you spend sometime tweaking it... I hope the phat mod is worth it.

I've read nothing but good things in here about Paul's pedals and about Keeley's stuff too... I may have to run a live bake off, but I can't wait 4 months for a Timmy!

12. erksin

erksin Member

The Timmy won't replace your TS-9 sonically - it doesn't have the mid content.

13. ruger9

ruger9 Member

"even better"... that's subjective. I'll say this: the Timmy has a wider EQ option than the BD-2. For the way I use the pedals, which is to bump up an already cooking tube amp, they are ALMOST interchangeable. However, the Timmy is able to get thicker... even with the BD2's tone knob "off", it'll never be as thick as the Timmy can get. We're talking Zendrive thick here. With the Timmy, the tone knobs are usable thru their ENTIRE range, even with the cut knobs OFF (on 10), whereas the BD2 has a smaller "sweetspot", IMHO.

Seriously, they are close enough that you would need to A/B them to find out if one is better for you than the other. I've owned 2 Keeley BD2's and currently own a Timmy (and am on the list for another one).

14. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

I have a Timmy and a stock BD-2. Both are great pedals and it is worth buying and keeping both. You can get a mint used BD-2 for $50 and a new Timmy for $129. Two great pedals for less than half the price of several other boutique drives, many of which I own. I could easily live with a Timmy and BD-2 and leave all the others behind. I'm curious about the Keeley mod but I'm reluctant because the stock BD-2 sounds really good.

15. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

I own both and stack them. It's a pretty cool combination. As others have said, both are great pedals individually - if you are after that sound. I like both separately, but I love them stacked.

16. In Tune

In Tune Member

The BD-2 will get you into Marshallsville,,,,,That is for sure,,Not sure if the other does.:dunno

17. Jack

Jack Member

You gotta at least try the timmy. I'll buy it from you it you don't like it. I'm not saying that one is going to win. But there are some pedals that you need to try to see the what sets the standards. The tim/Timmy phenomenon warrants serious attention from stompbox connoisseurs.
    They're interesting pedals that I sometimes find use for and sometimes not, but versatile as hell. Talk about transparent, if there was a pedal that was the closest thing to "tabula rasa", that zen emptiness at the heard of the world, it would be Tim. The Tim doesn't give you attitude, he, with some tweaking, will just serve your attitude. He's a selfless boddhisattva of tone, bro.
    Hell Dano thought is was good enough to run off thousands of 'em in China-it must be all right.