Timmy vs Looking Glass OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by renoman_89502, May 4, 2016.

1. renoman_89502

renoman_89502 Member

Received my DOD Looking glass od yesterday . I put it side by side with my Timmy pedal, played through a Marshall 2555X half stack with V30s. Clear winner to me so far ...Timmy !!
    Much more transparent, clearer, note definition and better sounding grind over all. The Looking glass is a pretty good od though and I will be trying it with other amps this weekend ...VoxAC15C1,Supro 1622TR,Ceriatone Yeti 50, Ceriatone 2061 and Ceriatone OTS 20. This my opinion and not a slam on the pedal :)

2. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

I think Shoe Pedals Savior Machine (which Looking Glass is based on) is a better rival for a Timmy. Quite different pedals though.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  3. renoman_89502

renoman_89502 Member

How is it different ....??? The Marshall 2555X doesn't like a lot of OD pedals I have tried. I have an entire pedal board made up of 12 Way huge pedals, the Marshall did not like any of the way huge pedals at all, in front or in the loop, caused tons of unwanted noise from the ODs, did not boost or add any noticeable added distortion. Not saying the Looking glass didn't sound good , just not as good as the Timmy pedal did on that particular amp. I'm guessing the looking glass will sound much better on an amp without it own diode clipping circuit....

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  4. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

Regarding the difference between Savior and Looking Glass:

The Savior uses 3 different types of transistors than the Looking Glass (a mix of JFETs and MOSFETs). These are great in a boutique pedal where I have the luxury of hand biasing every pedal, but don't work well in a factory-produced design so we used 3 of the same (less individually variable) FET in that design.

Besides that, the gain ranges on the Looking Glass are a little bit higher and it has a more raw but somewhat more distinctive growly sound to my ears, while the Savior is a bit clearer and more neutral.

The Lookig Glass also, of course, has the Input Filter which is not present on Savior and a few other voicing/design differences related to using different types of transistors.

I'm not sure I'd say either is really meant to be a Timmy-like pedal, though. They can both perform a similar role for sure, but I more just designed the type of overdrive I wanted to used in both cases (I'm super picky about overdrives, myself, and usually don't care much for op-amp based ones).

My own personal favorite light/transparent drive setting on both of them is actually with the Treble and Bass both rolled back to around 9 o'clock (sometimes I even roll Teble and Bass all the way off if the guitar is very bassy). This tends to give me nice note separation. Don't be afraid to dial in settings that you might think look extreme!

In any event, my explanation isn't meant as a defense. That's totally cool if you prefer the Timmy. This is why we have different pedals :)

usamike, nmnjs, Jo-Jo Beans and 4 others like this.
  5. thesooze

thesooze Member

Can you help me understand what he Input Filter is doing? It almost sounds like a presence control to me- but also feels more compressed the further CCW I wind it....

6. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

Sure. It's actually a type of notch filter that comes before everything else in the pedal. So it cuts a specific frequency range more strongly the more you turn it CCW. This has the effect of emphasizing the surrounding freqencies more as a result and you get a sound that has less pick attack emphasis at the lower settings (it does wind up effectively sounding a bit more compressed and darker with a different mid range and bass emphasis as you turn to the left, but it's quite a bit more complex than a straight treble filter as I think some people might assume it to be). If you feed the pedal with a heavy distortion (something with a lot of overtones like say an IC Muff) it becomes really obvious that this is a different type of filter, especially at the minimum setting.

If you turn it all the way clockwise, the filter effect is more or less bypassed and you get the most pick attack emphasis and brightness. This control being in the chain first is pretty important to the overall feel of the effect, in my opinion.

7. thesooze

thesooze Member

Killer, thanks. I love it fully CCW.

What are the two dip switches for?

8. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

They are also extra up front controls, actually. The left one is an input pad/impedance adjustment. This is meant to be sort of like switching to the low input on a fender amp and is often helpful if you are finding you have a bright buffer or other pedal you have in front in front is making the pedal feel too hot or too bright. The second dip switch is a more subtle but adds a little more treble cut to the filter as it is turned further CCW.

Wolfboy1, Flatscan and thesooze like this.
  9. thesooze

thesooze Member

Awesome - appreciate the help

10. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

No problem :)

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

So does it have certain constant center freq that slopes around it? The more you drop (ccw turn) the wider swath it takes out around it, as opposed to a low pass roll off.

12. blackba

blackba Member

Surprised to see these comments on the Marshall 2555X being picky about pedals. I have a Marshall 2553 and I have no trouble with it working with pedals both out front or in the loop. I use a Timmy, Zendrive, and Maxon OD-808 with it. I use all 3 into the amp set clean or use the Timmy or Maxon to boost the gain channel.

The looking glass does look interesting, but my OD collection is pretty crowded right now, it would have to be a knockout to kick something to the selling block.

LordByron likes this.
  13. renoman_89502

renoman_89502 Member

The way huge pedals did not interact well at all with the 2555X....

14. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I am lusting after the Looking Glass, Wampler Tumnus and maybe even the Supro Drive.

-bEn r.

fretless and Tom Von Kramm like this.
  15. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

Sort of. It does have a set center frequency rather than sweeping a notch through a spectrum, but it doesn't really get wider as you turn down. It is gradually bypassed, so the filter effect gets stronger or weaker.