Timmy vs. Maxon OD808 for single coils

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnnyqb, Feb 8, 2012.

1. johnnyqb

johnnyqb Member

I temporarily own both of these and am trying to decide which one to keep. I play a G&L Legacy through a boutique Twin Reverb. The Timmy is more transparent but also fuzzier, whereas the Maxon OD808 has a smoother, creamy sustain but also changes the tone of the guitar more (maybe that is the "mids hump" people talk about). I like them both, but can't keep both. My question is whether any of you had long term experience with these two pedals? Do you favor one over the other? I know it is a question of my taste, but sometimes things become more clear in the long term. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. ZeroChan

ZeroChan Member

Yeah, tubescreamer types have more 'smoother' response than the Timmy. The Timmy is way more tweakable though, and really the 'fuzziness' that you hear is not easily heard in a band context.

Two different animals. I'd go with the Timmy for its tweakability, but then again tubescreamers sound awesome on Fender amps and strats.

3. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

Tough call, as I've owned both. And quite frankly, a few months ago I would have told you to stick with the Maxon OD808 - I love tubescreamers and their mid-hump.

But I've really been into my Timmy lately, and have started using it as my go-to overdrive. Like the above post says, it's super versatile. Also, if you sell one of the pedals and want it back in a few months, it will be a lot easier to find a Maxon than a Timmy.

So I guess I'd keep the Timmy. It's a classic.

4. meterman

meterman Member

With a TS you get bass rolloff which emphasizes the mids, and some extra compression that increases sustain. With a Twin that might be just the ticket but for me it changes the base tone of my rig too much.

On the Timmy, try rolling the bass and treble pots fully CW, to 5:00. Set the gain and volume where you want it to be, and then roll the controls CCW until you get the balance of bass, mids and treble you want. You'd be surprised at how smooth it can actually get, while still maintaining clarity.

5. jfiedler26

jfiedler26 Member

Keep the Maxon sell the Timmy. More money in your pocket for something entirely different.

6. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Changing the chip in the Timmy to a LM1458 smooths it out. That's what I did for use with fender amps.

7. beautiful liar

beautiful liar Member

Just talked to Paul today and will get my Timmy in the mail next week. Can't wait! All the great things they say about him seem to be true.

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    hehe that lie was not so beautiful .......but
    I'd sell Timmy, he's told too many lies for my liking :huh

plus a Maxon tubescreamer is for those classic SRV type tubescreamer tones.
    That's why I've got one and that's why it's staying.

9. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I did that for a while and really liked it. Worth checking out. I did switch back to the 4559 though.

10. meterman

meterman Member

What are you talking about? Paul C is one of the most honest dudes in the gear business.

11. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yes - you have to try this to compare them. They are different beasts, but this will let your get a more comparative picture - bass fully clockwise and treble around 3 is the most similar to a TS it can get IMO. Also consider flipping the switch around a bit, there is one setting with a bit more compression.

I am a huge TS fan and I use my amps distortion, so I would suggest going with the TS, but on a Twin, the Timmy might give you more of what you need since it might be hard to get the Twin to break up anyway. I still like to have the midrangy, compressed pedal for some leads that will cut-through, so I think the two pedals are complementary - sorry!

12. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I have a Maxon OD-808, OD-9 and a Timmy. I love all the pedals. I typically use my Maxon OD-808 to boost other drive pedals like the Timmy. I am mainly a strat player too and through my Fender Bandmaster reverb I prefer the Maxon OD-808 as I like the mid hump and the compression that it adds. The Timmy is my favorite overdrive for my Vox AC50, which doesn't sound that great with the Maxon.

For me if I had to keep one and I only had a Bandmaster reverb, I would keep the Maxon, but I have my Maxon Od-808 for well over 10 years, I know it inside and out. I am still discovering the Timmy, for example setting the gain all the way up and the Treble and Bass knobs and adjusting from there is cool. Last night too when I was playing through my Bandmaster reverb, I switched on the Timmy and got the exact sound I needed for that song.

13. johnnyqb

johnnyqb Member

thanks for all the great comments. Leaning toward keeping the Timmy (it is more versatile, no question), but the OD-808 does have such a sweet influence too.

14. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Owned both, kept the Timmy. Love what it does for the Strat.

15. johnnyqb

johnnyqb Member

this is not an easy contest, as the Maxon does provide something Timmy doesn't, in terms of that smooth sustain.

16. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I also had both and kept the Od808. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it, but I like tube screamers and it's a really good one. It's funny that the Maxon costs more than the Timmy new but you could probably sell the Timmy for twice what you could the Maxon-not sure how that factors into your decision, just an observation. The Od808 is a smooth and warm example of a tube screamer. I don't really know if I could describe the Timmy if I had to-I had trouble dialing it in with my setup-maybe it just wasn't for me. I know Paul is a standup guy and I almost feel bad for not liking it but plenty of people do. So do you like apples or oranges?

17. meterman

meterman Member

Yeah they are quite different and actually complement each other very well. Single coils into a Twin can really benefit from the compression and midhump of a Tubescreamer.

Does your Timmy have a toggle on it? If not there are some dipswitches inside, and if you push both of them up you will get earlier breakup, softer clipping, more compression and more sustain.

One thing to consider is that Timmy's are harder to come by and Tubescreamers are dime a dozen. I really like the Maxon line in some ways better than the old Ibanez stuff but I've also got a TS-5 that cost $40 and sounds basically identical to my friend's TS9 reissue.

Can't go wrong with either really, and I predict one day you'll have both anyway :D

18. Ziad

Ziad Member

19. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I prefer Timmys with my set up, but for a BF/SF Fender amp, go TS style pedal, the mid hump works with those amps. For me though, I prefer less compressed pedals than TS style pedals, so I much prefer the Timmy.