Timmy with a LM1458 chip! Yes guy!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fast ricky love, Nov 29, 2005.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Man I love this pedal!

Sounds great stock. But I read a thread here recently where someone tried it with a 1458 and liked it so for 55 cents for the new chip figured I'd give it a whirl...

Gives it a less biting attack, a bit more rounded. I love it. Worth trying folks...

2. jeak

jeak Member

That might have been my thread. I installed a 1458 a few weeks ago. I still really like it. I have a second Timmy coming, and I look forward to comparing the two side by side. Also, I have a new amp on order, and there's no telling which chip I'll end up with after the amp arrives. In any case, it's fun to experiment.

3. fast ricky love

Yes, it was your thread, thanks!

True enough about the chip working better in some amps than others. The 1458 is like GOLD in my Deluxe Reverb (smoothed out the OD compared to the stock chip).

But in my Bruno which is a smooth amp to begin with, the stock chip might be a touch better.

Best to have 2 Timmy's for sure! :dude Please post your thoughts after your side-by-side comparo... :cool:

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

how is the chip different than rolling the treble back a little on the stock chip ?

5. jeak

jeak Member

Hmm, good question. I'm not sure. My Stick has active EMGs, and the whole setup is a bit different from a guitar's (impedance, etc.). I always leave the volume and tone wide open. I find the difference in chips to be more about smoothness in texture more than about tone. To use the popular food analogy, the stock chip is more like coarse oatmeal and the 1458 is finer oatmeal. Or firm tofu vs. medium tofu. The flavor is the same, but the grit is less with the 1458. This may not be a desirable thing for some players. I do think the stock chip is part of the Timmy's magic, and you do lose a bit of that with the other chip. It's a trade-off.

6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

ah, distortion density/complexity yes that would be unique to each chip...... EQ is easier to change......interesting

7. fast ricky love

I think jeak summed it up. But it really does matter as far as what amp you're going into as to whether the stock chip is better for you or not IMHO. The 1458 does shave off a bit of the chime and harmonic quality, not a lot, but a bit... but I do find the 1458 adds a bit of beef too... YMMV! :)

8. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I have a Timmy on the way--real soon. I just got the email from Paul saying my pedals will be ready any day.

I'll be using the Timmy mostly with a Tone King Meteor II, which is a Fender BF/Tweed two channel amp. It tends to be big, fat, and bright. A lot of OD pedals sound a bit too bright and aggressive with this amp, so I may want to try to smooth things out. (Incidentaly, the Zendrive sounds great with the Meteor II!) So, this possible chip swap interests me.

How easy is it to change chips? Any pics or diagrams of what to do? Where can I buy the 1458? I remember once I blew a chip in one of my Menatone pedals, and I was able to get the replacement at Radio Shack. Same thing here?

Thanks for the info.

Jeff

9. jeak

jeak Member

Here is a link to Small Bear for the chip. Just pop out the stock IC and pop in the new one. Touch something metal first before handling the chips. You want to discharge any static elec in you. When you put the new chip in, make sure it's oriented the same way as the stocker. Watch for the dot on one end of it. There's probably a proper tool for doing this, but I just use my fingers. Tweezers can work too.

10. jcshirke

Thanks for the link. I didn't even know about Small Bear.

Btw, what is the stock chip in the Timmy?

Jeff

11. LarryN

LarryN Member

Please bear with me: What's a Timmy? I hear it mentioned all the time, but never ran across one. Website?

12. jcshirke

The Timmy and Tim pedals are made by Paul Cochrane. He's a TGP member, so you can find posts from him here. Building amps and pedals is his trade. There is no web site. You just have to call or email him.

Use the TGP search engine and type in Tim, Timmy, or Paul Cochrane. You'll get a ton of hits and tons of info.--including specific contact info.

Jeff

13. JPB

JPB Member

[​IMG]

14. 69strat

69strat Member

Man!!! You guys just cant stop messing with things!!!! LoL!!!!

15. fast ricky love

The Timmy is a bright pedal with the stock chip. If you have a bright amp DEFINATELY try the LM1458. Look up the chip on eBay, that's where I got mine - 55 cents!

16. meterman

meterman Member

Sounds interesting, thanks. I may give that a try just for grins....

17. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

did anyone try this with the Tim?

I'm sure I'd prefer the stock chip with my rig but currently I'm trying to decide whether Tim, or Timmy would fit me best.

18. jcshirke

Do what I did--buy both. ;)

Jeff

19. bushmill

bushmill Supporting Member

Interesting thread! Anyone know of some other IC Chips to try with the Timmy? I think it'd be cool to try a few and see the differences!
    :D

20. devbro

devbro Member

Hey Paul,
    Tried the LM1458 chip as you suggested and WOW what a difference. :jo It's soooooo much smoother with my rig. Got the chip down at the local electronics store (pack of 4 for $2.00). Popped right in, took a total of 2 minutes.