Timmy with Blackface style amp - Opinions?

Overdriver18

I've read a few comments of people (not necessarily recent comments, but over time) saying that they don't like the Timmy with Blackface style Fender amps. I'm a big Timmy user and I'm curious why people don't like it as much (or not at all?) with Blackface amps. Is it the midrange character? Or does it have to do something with the pedal just being more suited to a different amplifier?

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
...I just got one and my Tele and SF Princeton Reverb apparently have not heard how bad it's supposed to sound because so far it sounds really good to me.

I do play my drives set for fairly low gain though so that could be a factor too.

-bEn r.

I've read a few comments of people (not necessarily recent comments, but over time) saying that they don't like the Timmy with Blackface style Fender amps. I'm a big Timmy user and I'm curious why people don't like it as much (or not at all?) with Blackface amps. Is it the midrange character? Or does it have to do something with the pedal just being more suited to a different amplifier?
Disambiguation always needed on the term "blackface". I would say no for AB763 blackface but absolutely yes for AA864 Bassman Blackface.

Here is a clip with a Timmy into a Bassman.

One of my favorite tones.

Overdriver18

Disambiguation always needed on the term "blackface". I would say no for AB763 blackface but absolutely yes for AA864 Bassman Blackface.

Here is a clip with a Timmy into a Bassman.

One of my favorite tones.

I like the sound in your clip a lot.

The blackface I'm referring to is whatever describes the current '65 reissue DR/PR blackfaces that you can walk into a shop an buy new today. I don't know as much as I'd like to about amps and I'm trying to learn more.

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
I put another chip in mine....like the one that works better with fenders. Sounded great with drri I was using. I always used the non reverb channel of the drri

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
I think it was the lm1458. I would do research on the gearpage. I just can't remember but I found the info on the page. Yea just pop it in and out. Here is a post I posted on where to buy it once http://xftest.thegearpage.net/board...-buy-the-different-chips-for-a-timmy.1408520/
I think chips are like 50 cents a piece so you can get all the chips people use in a tummy and have it shipped to you in one shot.

I like the sound in your clip a lot.

The blackface I'm referring to is whatever describes the current '65 reissue DR/PR blackfaces that you can walk into a shop an buy new today. I don't know as much as I'd like to about amps and I'm trying to learn more.

Hey man, didn't mean to abase you, not my intent....we're all learning here. Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

woof*

Timmy sounds great with my 66 Super Reverb.....sounds great with my Superbass too.

Major Dude

Tim/Timmy have worked well for all the Tweed, Blonde and BF Fenders I've owned. Varying degrees of success for sure but never anything I would class as bad. If the base tone is good/great then these transparent pedals should also yield good/great results. Best Tim results for me have been a Ceriatone 100w HRM Bluesmaster (BF based circuit I believe) and recently a Carr Rambler.

I recently read a Paul C post where he suggested setting up Tim/my by turning bass & treble all the way off (fully CW) and then dialling them back in to suit the amp. To my knowledge a lot of players (including me) do the opposite by starting with both controls maxed out (CCW) before cutting back to taste. Paul C's approach might benefit anyone not achieving satisfactory results.

blue62

I think there is something in the chip replacement. I have tried a couple of Timmys into my DRRI and didn't like them much. Then a friend lent me one he made with a different chip and it sounded great. I don't know what chip he used but he's a guy who makes his own Fender amps, tweeds mostly and he voiced it for them.

UrbanHymns

Silver Supporting Member
Try a JRC4558 chip. It's the same chip as in a tubescreamer. Did wonders for my tone when playing through a BF. Rounded out the top end and smoothed things out a bit. I did not like the stock 4559 chip with my BF Princeton.

Overdriver18

Hey man, didn't mean to abase you, not my intent....we're all learning here. Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

Its cool, i didn't think you were saying anything to be mean. Tough to hear tone over text so I've started to just assume everyone is being nice, since I've never had anyone really be mean here on TGP.

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
The TL072 is another great option in the Timmy. I always found the LM1458 to be flubby and weak.

teleluvver

I tried the Timmy through a variety of old blackface Fenders, and it never worked for me. However, it may not be the right pedal in light of what I was after. I play a lot of music where I switch between pristine clean and rhythm/lead crunch. If the Timmy would have been always on, or stacked into something else, it may have worked. But switching between the pristine, scooped clean amp and the Timmy did not yield natural sounding od. Yes, the Timmy is pretty "transparent", but for my purposes I think a little bit of mids would have helped. Probably everyone will have varying opinions, but ultimately I think it depends on a few things: whether you're trying to use it through a clean amp or one that's breaking up, whether or not you're stacking it, if it's always-on or not, humbuckers vs single coils, etc.

Last edited:

rochell59

I remember gigging with the Timmy and my Twin for about a year. I only used it to push other pedals. So, ...timmy>OD/fuzz>amp.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
I tried the Timmy twice with my Fender amp. I didn't really dig it with a clean Fender, but I loved it boosting a dirty, Marshalesque amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom