Timmy's arrived!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Great!

The two Timmy's me and ToneRanger ordered 27.11.05 arrived yesterday! Man have we been waiting for those. Paul C. has been busy it seems! I'm glad they are here although I didn't really mind waiting for the Timmy because I knew it could be some time.

Haven't had a chance to try it yet though. I opened it up though and noticed it doesn't have a serial number. Is this normal?

2. 1968

1968 Member

I got a Timmy comin soon.. !!.. And I feel like a little girl the night before christmas :D

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Really?!?

4. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

I ordered mine 15/12/05 .. must be getting close!

5. 1968

1968 Member

:p:D:p;)

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Yep, the Timmys are here. It was a pretty extatic moment to open up the package from Mr Cochrane. I havent had the chance to try it out either, but tomorrow we'll see what's all the hype been about..

7. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

I'll be very interested to what you think of the Timmys teddy boy and ToneRanger.

It's been a long wait and expectations must be high.

After much experimentation this week my TIM and Honey Bee are finally relegating my King of Tone to eBay.

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Yep, it's funny to see what happens with the Timmy, 'cause it's got quite a competition and it really must be amazing to conquer a permanent slot on both of ours boards.. So if both or either of us ends up using the Timmy on our live boards, that really says something.. Cant wait to try it out tomorrow, and we're gonna rehearse too so it's gonna be great to run it thru the paces and make a real-life test.

9. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

can't wait to try mine!

10. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Make sure you read the instructions. And when you turn the gain up it raises the Bass, and Treble, so you have to turn the bass, and treble knobs up (clockwise) to cut some of frequecies. I keep my bass, and treble about even with the gain knob. Anyway you will love the pedal if you just understand how it works, and don't be afraid of turning the B, and T, up when you rais the gain. I have both the TIM, and the TIMMY, and these are my favorite pedals.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

11. Realfi

Very good advice re the controls-I find the same.
    Btw 58lespaulman what opamps have you settled on?

12. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Ok,

First band practice and proper TIMMY test behind me. It works! I had real trouble setting it up first. I just thought it sounded bodyless and too clear compared to the Menatone TBIAC6 which I had been using in that spot. The TBIAC has a great mid-range thingy goiing and the sound has real body to it although it does sound a little dark at times.

So I was a bit disapointed with the TIMMY just strumming with my amp without accompaniment. I sure I was going to go with the TBIAC for our upcoming gigs. Then I tried the TIMMY in band practice just for fun. Wow! It made a great difference. My guitar (SG Standard) sounded alive and the whole mix was clearer. And stacking with the OCD is heaven!

Perhaps the sound may not be as interesting and have character like the TBIAC6 but in a live band situation it works like a dream. Sound engineer will thank us I think! definately worth all the hype. B.T.W gave the dip switches a little twiddle too and didn't really like the compressed setting. Took all the life out of the sound.

So, we're going with this! I think it's a winner!

[​IMG]

13. Realfi

Nice board!

Hey teddy boy. I was actually expecting you to react to the Timmy in this way-I might have even alluded to that earlier on this thread.

My intial reaction was very much like yours when I first tried the Timmy. At first I thought it was a little dry because I'd been using things with far more thickness through the mids and with a lot more colouration generally. I found that the more I used it the more I got used to the un-hyped honesty of it and a lot of other things started to sound a bit fake by comparison.

Stage volume certainly makes more sense of the Timmy but if you still find it a little to dry give the asmmetrical clipping a go (one switch up, one down)-it's a nice compromise between the slightly unforgiving nature of the uncompressed mode and the the more generic early clipping sound.

BTW Is your OCD one with the later mods? I sold mine before I heard about the mods.

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hi Realfi!

Yes, it's an OCD with the new mod. I really like it! That pedal is a keeper for sure. You mentioned you had an issue with the old one but I can definately recommend the new one. Had a bit more character now IMO but still very transparent and dynamic.

B.T.W ToneRanger was happy immedietly with his TIMMY. No problems like me! I'll let him chime in when he arrives from his friends wedding.

15. drolling

drolling Member

The "clarity and bodylessness" of Timmy is exactly what has elevated it to near mythical status here on TGP.

The whole point being to enhance & accentuate the original sonic properties of your amp and guitar - and Timmy does this better than anything else I've tried.

Most overdrive pedals, including Menatone, impose their own distortion characteristics on whatever rig they're used with, which is why I've collected so many of them over the years. The same pedal that sounds inspiring when paired w/one guitar/amp combo can sound really dreadful w/another - Timmy's the first stompbox I've owned that works well w/everything I've thrown at it.

It took me many years to amass a smal collection of great guitars & amps, and many more years to find a chameleon-like pedal that compliments them all. I've got another Timmy on order - first time I'll have two of anything, if you don't count the teles:D

16. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I guess I am the odd man out here, since i sold my Timmy. I will say that the Timmy is, like everything Paul C does, a very well designed implementation of that particular circuit. Its shining accomplishment is the near perfectly laid out eq. The pre and post arrangement of the treble and bass and the perfect selection of the rolloff points are the magic to the pedal in my opinion. That is why the pedal stacks well, and sounds good with lots of amps. That said though, the pedal got little use on my board. I keep my amps turned up to the point where they make about the same or more gain as the Timmy provides, and ride the guitar volume. The Timmy added very little to that. The Timmy doesn't clean up well with the guitar volume which is a must for me to love the pedal. No slight against the pedal, just didn't fit my application well. The rest of the circuit is an opamp with switchable diode clippers. Unfortunately, I have yet to get much use out of a pedal with this arrangement, no matter how well they are done. I wish I could afford to keep every pedal I ever bought, or at least bought in the last 5 or 6 years. As I go through different amps, it is fun to pull out old pedals and see how they interact with the different amps. The Timmy is definately one I would have kept for occasional use if I could afford to, but for the amount of time it spent on the bench, it was better used to help pay for my new amp. But for $99 + shipping, all pedals should be built this well, with this much forethought, and sold at this, much more sane, price point.

17. DavidE

DavidE Member

I have gain, bass and treble all around noon on my Timmy. Fantastic sound to my ears. I want a second one for higher gain! Actually, I'm on line for Tim which I'll use for lower gain and then use the Timmy for higher gain.

I'm still waiting for my Zendrive. The original 4-6 week estimate turned into over 12 weeks so far...

18. Coach

Coach Senior Member

if the late november ones are just shipping, I've got a long way to go (ordered Febraury 18) :(

19. drolling

drolling Member

This has been my policy w/overdrives for quite some time now. I've been lucky enough to get many of them used, so there's not a lot of money tied up in them.

And some of them really aren't suitable at all for any of my guitars/amps, but I never can tell when something new might come my way. I've had some pleasant surprises 'auditioning' dusty old pedals w/new gear..

20. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

The wedding is done and now it's time to talk about the Timmy...

Man, is this pedal good! As Teddy Boy stated, I was pleased right away. Just worked with my setup amazingly well, and there was not even a learning curve, it was just right from the get-go. The eq works very well, it's a great idea to have the eq work like that. The gain range of this pedal is great. All the positions are great and the gain maxed it borders on distortion, a perfect distortion sound.. I was immediatelly tempted to get another one of these right away.

I found my preferred settings with the control within seconds, it just melted with the rest of the rig perfectly so I guess I got lucky. I had the volume at 11, gain at 12, treble at 12 and bass at 11 oclock. The rest of the setup was my Fender Telesonic plus the Bad Cat Cub II EL84 amp with the master volume defeated. We've got some gigs coming up and I really am trying to figure out the best way to use my amp. With the Telesonic the master volume just doesnt work as well. This all has an effect to the way I use the pedals, 'cause when I use the master volume I can get some crunch from the amp as well and then the application of the pedals is a bit different.

How did the Timmy sound? Open, super transparent and just incredibly good. I felt I could get the same sound as my amp cranked with the pedal, but when the amps volume was at 8-9 oclock so it was totally clean. The Timmy just delivered the goods! It's sort of like what the Hot Cake tries to be (I love the Hot Cake as well, this is just better I guess), ofcourse with less gain and more transparency. I hate the word transparent BTW, it's used with every pedal on earth, even with the ones that are making your Vox sound like a Plexi, how can that be transparent. Anyway, the Timmy really is transparent to the point that the use of the word is easily justified. I was suprised by the amount of gain available, it borders on distortion and I could see myself using that sound as well.

I ran the Timmy second in my board. It's currently COT->Timmy->EGDM->Eternity->SCP->Hot Cake->DMM. Again the COT is a real champ, it works superbly with the Timmy. I guess I'll be using the Timmy as my basic od sound for now. Then I can kick my COT to goose the Timmy and oh boy what a job it does! The COT is set with the bias at minimum. It's just a beautiful new gain stage and I can use the COT alone as well for added flexibility. Then enter the EGDM, which is set with the gain near minimum (the gain on EGDM works a bit funny, it's nearly clean boost when minimum, then when you move it by just a little it goes to od and suddenly starts to distort really fast, I love it to death, I use it near minimum before it starts to distort when live 'cause I stack it with other pedals). The Timmy, COT and EGDM again stack wonderfully together, just superb! It's like having a 4 channel amp, this is the most versatile setup ever for me. Eternity does the lead stuff in the higher gain region plus I also use the Timmy (plus maybe a COT) with the Eternity for some power chords that turn into beautiful harmonic feedback.

It's really funny though how mysterious this stuff with pedals sometimes is. Teddy Boy had way harder time to make the pedal work well with his setup though we were doing it in the same room at the same time, talking to each other and digging the sounds. It's just that every piece in the chain playes a role and it's sometimes hard to predict that. I cant figure out what caused the problems cause TB's amp has probably a bit more mids than mine normally and he's playing a Gibson too which adds to the mids even more and it really felt there was something lacking in the mids in the first place. Seemed to work totally superb within the band contest for both of us though.

It was great to be able to first check the pedal out with just the guitars and then have the band practise on top of that. I think we sounded better than ever, somehow more focused and clear. And we're able to play with less volume 'cause the Timmy makes everything sound good even at lower volumes and that is a huge bonus when you try to make it sound good.

I didn't have a clue how the Timmy would work with my setup and I thought I won't have any use for it and it will only make matters more confused. It turned out that the Timmy solved many problems and just made things work. It works with all my pedals and just delivers.

Phew, what a rant :) So I guess it's safe to say that I dig the pedal pretty much ;) It's hard to say which of my pedals I like best, 'cause they all have such different characters, but this is surely a desert island pedal and a real tool.

PS, Coach, if I had known the pedal was this good, I would have died waiting. Just try to forget about it, that's what I did. Just get ready to wait for a long time, but I'm telling you it's worth of every minute, even if it can be painful :)