Tinnitus.....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by lovesickmusic, May 3, 2015.

1. lovesickmusic

lovesickmusic Member

I have had a low rumble in my ears for about a week and a half. I am pretty sure it's tinnitus. I know that normally when people have it, it's high-pitched, but mine sounds like there is a diesel constantly parked out in my neighborhood. Anybody got any good remedies for this? Other than, "learn to live with it."

2. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Are you sure it's not like a thumping muffled kind of sound?

That's what I have, but it only occurs when there is other percussive noise happening.

3. wetordry

wetordry Member

Have had the high pitched ringing for years, worse in the evenings, worse some days than other, and somehow on those days...it seems tied to caffeine but I'm not 100%.

4. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

How is your blood pressure? I have had what you are describing and was told by an ear doctor it is the blood circulating in my head that I am hearing. At times I was hearing my heartbeat. Other times like you have described.

5. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Step #1: Have it checked my a doctor.
    Step #2: Get musician's earplugs.
    Step #3: Cross your fingers, maybe it will go away.

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I can't help you unfortunately. I have the high ringing kind....all of the time. But I sure wish for their own sake the people that brag around here about wanting to be LOUD would start following this thread and learn about protecting themselves.

7. stevel

stevel Member

I have tinnitus and have had for years.

Recently, when those snow storms hit, I had this crazy thing where I just felt real bad - sick, dizzy, spacey - and went to sleep at like 8 PM the night the storm was rolling in.

My wife is very sensitive to pressure changes, but I've not typically been, but that's what I thought it was.

I have been playing in a band I should be wearing plugs for, and wasn't. We played a gig at a new venue, and though it was no louder than normal (which is too loud) a day or two later I had this issue.

So mine was rumbling like you're talking about - I first noticed it when listening to some renaissance vocal music (hey, what can I say) and I noticed this low, pitched rumble on some notes.

I realized then I hadn't been hearing the heater in the house cut on and off.

I had a gig. I went, set up, played a note on my guitar, and heard this awful rattle from my amp. I thought a tube was gone, but given what I had been hearing, I realized it might be my ear. I had to ask another band member if they heard the rattle I did - they didn't!

Scary.

I wore plugs at that gig. The lower notes on keys were just a blur. Couldn't make out any distinct pitches.

It took about a full week before it got back to "normal".

While it was happening, I was hearing a rumble on some voices on TV, and some sounds sounded as if a snare drum roll was happening at the same time - it wasn't.

At it's worst, during that gig, I could sing a note with the plugs in, and hear the rumble at a pitch - I could actually sing in harmony with it and find the note.

I think, about roughly a week later, I was watching TV and I realized the voices weren't doing that anymore.

At that point though, I still could not distinguish some low notes. Also, certain chords I could hear "under tones" on.

If you've ever played with two notes with distortion, and heard that low frequency difference tone (undertone, subharmonic), that's what it sounds like on some chords.

There is, to this day, still a little bit of that (It's been about 2 months now).

It actually came back a little one day, but then went away again the next.

I really do think it was barometric pressure related, but it probably didn't help my ears being "worn out".

I also know, I definitely have lost some high frequencies on that side, because that's something I check regularly. I don't know if this incident caused it, or the gigging, or the combination of the two, but that's probably not coming back.

1. Start wearing ear protection NOW.

2. We all really should not have to wear ear protection, but until we develop a culture where "nuanced and dynamic" is better than "it it's too loud you're too old", you need to. But, if at all possible, TURN IT DOWN. No one actually needs to be that loud.

3. It can be blood pressure related. Go to the doctor.

4. Cut down on your sodium (it's good for you in other ways too).

5. Drink more water. Staying hydrated seems to help also (it also is good for you too, but it helps to make your Eustachian Tubes drain).

6. You might also consider wearing plugs for other mundane tasks - if you drive and encounter a lot of road noise - especially low rumble, wear some plugs that still let you hear "regular" sounds, but cut out that low mess. Mowing the lawn? Weed Wacking? Put in some plugs (or wear protective headphones).

8. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

I got it bad when I was hit with a blast of high gain audio when wearing headphones. At worst, it was like a 500 htz tone at full level. After two years, it's almost gone. I still hear a pulsing, rushing water sound in my ear. Like someone said, it's the blood going through. I need to ask my dentist, but I had a wisdom tooth removed and it got better. That may have induced swelling in my jaw. I did lose the lows in that ear permanently, I'm afraid.

9. tcdrover

tcdrover Member

I think it is definitely tied in with caffeine to some degree.

I hear a very high pitched noise all the time. I barely even notice it anymore until I go to bed. I've probably heard it for over 20 years now.

When I blow out my ears like to decompress, or yank on them it almost disappears

I notice it more when I have a lot of caffeine though, MUCH more especially when I go to sleep.

It is also affected by metals in your blood is what I've read. If you eat something that was high in metals it will be louder.

10. How

How Supporting Member

Best advice I got was "learn to live with it". In the end that is what you will have to do. No cure. Mine is there all the time but don't notice it until I listen for it. Get used to your "new norm".

11. LHanson

LHanson Member

I've been very lucky to retain my hearing between my day job around large A/C chillers and the 3 to 5 a month gig and weekly rehearsal. I've started to wear good, custom-made ear plugs pretty much daily at work.