TINY headphone practice rigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitguy28, Oct 16, 2008.

1. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

Hi,

I've been suffering through guitar playing withdrawal- am often holed up in the office all day. I've been thinking about bringing my tele and a headphone rig around to jam on when no one's around.

I'm really looking for something that's no bigger than a typical pedal. I mostly just play clean and with light overdrive and tone isn't a huge concern. What's good to use?

2. Electric I

Electric I Member

In the same boat. Tried all 3 vox amplugs yesterday & while they all sounded decent, I can't help thinking there's a better deal out there.

Now looking at a pocket pod...

3. dosmun

dosmun Member

I use a Korg Pandora and it sounds pretty good.

4. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I was very surprised how good the newer Korg Pandoras sound. Lots of effects that actually sound decent and even a phrase sampler to learn stuff of of cds or ipod, and a decent drum section as well. I got one in trade expecting my "nothing built after 1969 is any good" ears would hate it and its very good.

5. joel98z

joel98z Member

While a little bigger than a pedal, PodXT is my main headphone rig for late night / quiet practice. Great interface when coupled with Gearbox on a PC..

6. Steve Lowe

Steve Lowe Member

I bought a pocket pod for that very purpose.

7. DavidE

DavidE Member

Pocket Pod or Korg Pandora should work.

8. Deaj

Deaj Member

Korg Pandora will do the trick.

9. nomadh

nomadh Member

I'm looking at the Vox DA5. It would work as a headphone amp with lots of effects but you can also load in batteries and jam out in the park or while camping. Surprising good tone.

10. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I've had a Korg Pandora PX4 for about 4 years now. I use it with my Steinberger when I travel.

Overall, it's not bad. The interface is a bit of a PITA, and it's not real user friendly to set up your own tones. Most of the presets suck, but there are a few usable ones. The built in rythym tracks are decent, as is the phrase trainer. It also has an aux in for mp3s, cds etc.

For half the money, I'd go for the Pocket Pod.... I am thinking of getting one to replace the PX4. If it is close to the PodXT in user interface/tone, I'd be a lot more happy with it than the Korg........

11. AstroStrat89

AstroStrat89 Member

If you don't mind digital then probably any of the modelers out there will float your boat. Just depends how much you want to spend on how many features you want. I've own a Zoom G2.1u and its pretty cool. I've played around with a POD 2.0 also, nice features for sure but the tones were pretty much of the same overall quality in my ears. One may do a better JCM800, another a better AC/30 but you would have to try them all to judge for your self.

IMHO since I got my Vox Classic Amplug I am selling off my Zoom soon. I think its much more organic sounding and in that "Marshall" space does what I want it to do. I just get that "vibe" from it more that the Zoom, and that is what gets me to play.

12. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Pocket Pod! Best one I've tried yet!

13. Pikesoldier

Pikesoldier Member

i hate dean guitars (and every pointy guitar for that matter), but the dean "stack in a box" is the perfect headphone amp, cheap, as simple as it gets (it only has 3 tones, clean, overdrive, and distortion. and only 2 volume settings, normal and loud), its the size of a pack of cards and most importanly it actually sounds freakin fantastic.