Tiny High Gain Amps in the 5-watt Range

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Occam, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Occam

Occam Member

Are there any? Most seem are along the lines of Champs. I have a Matamp C7 which is pretty cool but not very gainy, pedals do a pretty good job but I'd like to check out something high gain if they're out there.

2. redjet55

redjet55 Member

peters amps used to have a real gainy single ended head... a 3cp1 I think.

3. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

Check out the Lovepedal Cannibal. It's tiny and pretty gainy.

4. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Palette amps are a good 5w option. Not sure of your financial constraints though. www.paletteamps.com

5. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

Holy...that 5w Palette amp is friggin expensive. How come there isn't any technical information on that amp? Like tubes, how it sounds, or what not?

Anyhow, I heard the Star Nova in clips and it sounds like a gainy small amp.

6. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Yeah it's not priced like an Epi Valve Jr. They're still working on the website for techinal details and clips. Do a search, there are some clips around recently, albeit a somewhat heated thread regarding the pricing.

7. gururyan

gururyan Member

It's not a high gain amp though. The tube compliment is 12AX7, 6L6, 5Y3. As far as sounds, I am mic'less at the moment so I can't record anything. Aaron Squirrel has some clips on his MySpace page, you'll have to do a search.

8. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Cornford - the Harlequin is around 5-6 watts. the Carrera has switchable tubes and is 5-8 watts. Cornford amps have great gain/saturation.

9. skrzyp

skrzyp Supporting Member

The 15/7 watt Tiny Terror head from Orange (supposedly set for August release) may fall in this category.

10. LaXu

LaXu Member

I wouldn't call the Cornford Harlequin a high gain amp though. When I think of high gain I think of something that has more preamp gain on tap than a JCM800 2203/2204.

I haven't seen any truly high gain low wattage amps on the market, possibly because the combination of high gain + powertube saturation = mush. A much more important factor is that the small amps are often voiced more for blues, classic rock etc. than hard rock and metal which are the primary targets for high gain.

11. matte

matte Senior Member

12. calieng

calieng Member

Check out www.AX84.com

I gutted an Epi Galaxie and built a High Octane variation in it with Hammond transformers, dual 12AX7s and a single EL34. It sounds similar to the Star Nova but has slightly more gain and is bigger sounding...perhaps from the EL34 and the larger cabinet. I tried selling it for around $350 one time and nobody wanted it even though it sounded better than any small amp I have owned. I guess it needs a boutique name on it. :)

13. randy morser

randy morser Member

14. lastwinj

lastwinj Member

i'm working on one at the moment. might be 5 watts on a good day.

15. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

How about the Fargen El Bastage? It's supposed to be like a VOS meets a Bastage. Haven't heard it, though.

16. GoGoGuitars

GoGoGuitars Member

The ValveTrain 205 is is a 5 watter based on a Princeton circut and you have your choice of getting it with an 8", 10" or 12" speaker. All hand wired point to point. Great sounding amp!

17. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Fuchs lucky 7 with a dist/drive box

You arent gunna get Triple Rec gain from a little tiny single ended power section, its not gunna happen.

Good luck with your search though,

-Jon

18. johnny b

johnny b Member

Most modern high gain amps owe their distortion to the preamps, not true power tube distortion. Extreme power tube distortion would "mush up" a bunch of buzzy front-end distortion. I think that's part of the reason high-gain amps are still in such high wattage, because its more important that the power amp tubes add a little of that tube warmth to the sound, rather than go into distortion.

I think if you're looking at a small amp, you're looking for a more touch-sensitive amp and one that is capable of producing classic rock/hard rock tones at more reasonable volumes. Back off the power tube saturation if you want to run high-gain, and look for a distortion pedal to get your sound.

I think Frenzel amps (look on Ebay) are a great steal, esp. their single-ended Champ Plus models, which would let you try out different power tubes and preamp tubes to shape your sound, and again, just go shopping for a distortion pedal to get your front-end gain.

I've heard clips of little ax84-style amps that sound aweome. Unfortunately, most clips on the net are poorly recorded. I never understood why these small boutique makers don't spend a little time in a local studio trying to get a better representation of their sounds for their sites. Even if you record at home, use a Palmer or Sequis Motherload (incredible piece of gear) to get a recorded tone that at least represents your amp, if you can't do it with a good mic and a room at loud volume.