Tiny terror loud enough for small gig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by still.ill, Sep 30, 2008.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

also i've heard on the 15 watt setting it basically eats up tubes really quick--- is that true???? luckily if it is---some guys say the 7 watt setting is still loud enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-PHqs4zBAc
    at 5:48-6:14

2. seiko

seiko Member

easily loud enough.

3. auraelux

auraelux Member

Chris Walla from Death Cab For Cutie is using a modded Tiny Terror through a Dr. Z 2x12, they play some pretty intense arenas. Anything is loud enough when you're on a mic. It will fill up most bars and clubs no problem. Heck, those 5 watt epi valve juniors are loud as balls too! I played one full blast at GC the other day and they asked me to leave lol, If those 5 watts can do it, the 15 from the Orange will keep you happy I'm sure.

4. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I played a show in front of 300 people with my band last weekend with my Genz Benz Black Pearl 1x12 on the 8wt setting and had no problems being heard. I did loose some clean head room, but volume was no issue.

I know it's not a tiny terror, but I wanted to pass along that 8wts was plenty loud.

5. drweller

drweller Member

Definitely. Cranked 18 watts is a quite substantial. Headroom is a main difference with various wattages. I've rehearsed full band with a 1/2 watt amp several times - and actually used it for some gigs. That's an extreme example, but I'd be quite comfortable running a 5 watt amp in a room w/600 capacity...miked thru a PA, but not folded back thru the monitors - 5 watts on stage would be plenty for a full band thru a screamin' PA. I typically ran my TT on low-power when I had it...was a majority of the reason for the purchase, decent tone at a nice small-room (200-500 capacity) stage volume.

6. billygoat

billygoat Member

Not in my band it's not. Hard hitting drummer + 2 guitars and my ac15cc got buried every time, no matter whether there was a blue or a tonker in there. Depends on the band, and the type of music

7. Puckman

Puckman Member

It's loud enough. I don't know what this "eating up tubes" business is. Any amp if cranked all the time will wear the tubes out faster than if you don't crank it.

If you're interested in a TT. Look in the Amp Emporium. I've got one listed.

8. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Yep the TT is biased stock very hot. However it's only a $2 resistor swap to cool it down just a tad. Some have had decent luck with their tubes with the stock bias but others not so.

Speaker efficiency will make or break how loud these things are on the gig. A 4x12 will probably make the amp workable most of the time, but a 1x12 will probably be hit or miss unless it's an EV or something really efficient. Every band plays a different volumes so YMMV...

9. still.ill

still.ill Member

whats an EV? and some people have said it's only biased hot if you set it on 15 watt setting--- but the vid shows you can compete with drummers on 7 watts

10. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

It's loud enough provided you don't need a loud clean. The 7 watt setting really isn't much quieter than the 15, but it is a little more compressed and crunchy.

I've heard some people say the TT eats tubes, but I don't know for sure. I'm still on my first set. It's supposedly biased pretty hot. I've read that all cathode biased amps work the power tubes pretty hard and have short tube life. Not sure if that's accurate or not though?

11. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

The rhythm guitarst for a friend of mine's band uses a TT + 1/12 cab onstage at bars - it's plenty loud enough for them and they are a 2-guitar hard rock outfit.

The TT is not a quiet amp - don't let the power rating fool you.

12. nnick

nnick Member

I just played a new Tiney Terror combo. Plenty of volume for a small gig if you don't need pristine cleans.

13. still.ill

still.ill Member

how long have you had it?

14. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

Not long, about 6 months. Played several hours a week.

I've not heard too many complaints about tube life over at the Orange Amps Forum.

15. Unabender

Unabender Member

It depends also on the amp's voicing. As far as I understand, Vox has a pretty huge mid dip and TT is very mid heavy amp, which makes it cut through better.

This is because guitar is a mid frequency heavy instrument. If you are trying to compete against drums and bass in their frequency territory, you will lose with a 15 watt amp every time.

16. ussr

ussr Member

Hi
    this is interesting. Tell or send me please some pics. However it's only a $2 resistor swap to cool it down just a tad??

Ussr