Tiny Terror Preamp swap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eksfiles, Feb 25, 2008.

1. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

I just ordered some JAN-Philips 5751's which should come in real soon. From what I understand, this will improve the smoothness, take a little of that screaming distortion down a tad, and make the tone and breakup more refined.

Any TT owners care to share some tube swaping ideas? Has anyone tried a 5751?

Do tell.....

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If a 5751 doesn't clean it up enough try a 12AY7.

3. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I've tried GT 5751, 12AX7M, 12AX7C tubes in order to smooth out the gain and rid the amp of some fizz. The GT5751 tubes were the brightest, 12AX7C had the most midrange and the 12AX7M were the most balanced and smoothest IMO. In the end though, the preamp swap just raised the headroom and did little towards ridding the amp of the high end fizz on the gainier settings. With the gain cranked even to moderate overdrive levels, the distortion still had the same fizzy, gritty character. Just dialed in later on the gain pot. Just sold the amp as a matter of fact.

4. VanR

VanR Senior Member

Can anyone confirm that on the Tiny Terror the input tube is actually the 12AX7 furtherest from the input jack? And the PI is the tube closest to the input jack? Is this true?

5. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

I spoke with a technician from orange, and the tube slot closest to the input jack is the V1, while the one on the left is the PI.

I just tried an old Westinghouse 5751 I had laying around, and it seemed to lower the output a tad, however, it smoothed things out as well. The notes seem to have more clarity too. But when the gain is cranked and the volume is low I still get a touch of the fizzies.

I realize that I have to have the volume up a bit in order to get some good tones, and lose the fizz.

I will probably try 2 5751's when I get more in.

6. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

This is what I was told by my local tech when we were trying various pre tubes.