Tiny Terror vs Haze 15 vs Vox Nightrain

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lizardking, Feb 2, 2012.

1. lizardking

lizardking Supporting Member

If you had a chance to pick up one of these to add to the collection.....??

2. cestjoel

cestjoel Member

I've only played a tiny terror and it's awesome! Sounds like a 'real' all tube amp. Another good one that is relatively cheaper in price is a Soldano design Jet City JCA22H. Awesome amp for the price!

3. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

When I was shopping around for a lunchbox amp I played both the Tiny Terror and the Night Train. I strongly prefer the TT: warmer tone, better-integrated mids, better overdrive. Night Train was a little tinny to my ears. I also found the TT's controls simpler and more responsive. Night Train does cleans more easily I suppose, but once you figure out how to dial in a cleans on the TT they sound really great.

My comparison may have been biased b/c the Orange cabs usually paired with the TT are better than the Vox cabs usually paired with the Night Train, so I didn't truly A/B the heads. But for me it was no contest.

Anyway I ended up trading an 80w Traynor combo for the TT head and 1X12 cab and couldn't be happier.

4. terrapin

terrapin Member

My experience is the exact opposite. I did not like the Tiny Terror much at all. Kind of a one trick pony and I was not to fond of the trick. I bought the Night Train and find it to be very versatile and fully capable of reproducing great Vox tone through the right speaker(s). I use it with a 2X10 with a Scumback and a Dr. Z and it is very nice.

OMO the Night Train build quality is far superior to the TT.

5. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

See my sig =)

I'ver read enough forums to know where the TT and the NT's strengths lie so I just ended up getting both and use an AB switcher between them, running it thru either a 4x12 or a 2x12 depending on the gig.

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia

Night Train for me - by a looooooong way :)

The other 2 are one trick ponies imo

7. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

TT>NT>Haze... Every Haze I've played has been the flattest sounding, blanket covered amp ever. The NT is nice, but the TT is a bit more ballsy. You want across the board good tone, I'd go NT. But wanna rock, go TT all the way.

8. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

probably ought to throw the tweaker in there for consideration too

9. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

Have not heard the TT. Have heard some shoot-outs between the NT and Haze and wasn't impressed w/ the NT. I have owned the Haze 15 head since it was released in May'09 and run it thru an Avatar 2x12 cab w/ Emi Texas Heat and Hellatone 30 speakers. Reverb is good (which is saying something, compared to the SFPR I've had for 36 years). I often run an OD pedal w/ this and am overall impressed w/ this amp.

10. lizardking

lizardking Supporting Member

I know the haze doesn't get much love...but i do find it interesting that there are not that many used for sale...don't know if that means people like them, or they just didn't buy them in the first place, lol...I already own a rebel 20 and a tweaker...so wanted something of a different flavor....orange are a little pricier...i was curious of others opinion if it was worth it....the vox is intriguing for the chimey cleans and thick overdrive...and the marshall...well I guess that's the oldest story...always wanted a "real" marshall...without the price, lol....and i don't have much use for a 100 or 50 watt amp now playing mostly at home...guess I was hoping to get my (useable)fix with the haze...

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

ahh well I've played all of them and used to own a Rebel 20.
    The R20 is far superior to ALL of them imo.

The TT does one cranked tone good and the cleans are ....ehh.
    Has no loop.

The Haze well - not as good as the TT cranked imo and the cleans are ....ehhh.
    The MH15 has no loop. MH40 does. I think it probly sold like it deserved.
    I used to own a JCM800 and compared to that the Haze 15 is a bad joke imo.
    Have never played the Haze 40

Vox NT - excellent versatile tones but no loop.

The Rebels have it all.
    R20 is great all round
    You already got a Tweaker.
    R30 is better again imo

Hey if you want high class versatile small wattage amps with different flavour to the Egnaters try the Mesa's - 5:25, Lonestar Special, TransAtlantic & Mini Rectifier.
    They're the very best of all imo but cost more $$$
    Go test em yourself and decide

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  12. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

Haze 15 vs. JCM800 a fair comparison? C'mon. Used JCM's sell on eBay for over $1000 and the reissues more than double that. Not to mention at 50 or 100 watts. New Haze: $599.

I owned a Rebel30 head last year and sold it. Didn't "have it all" for me. I was looking for a lower wattage head (w/ reverb and fx loop) to run in tandem w/ the Haze, but the R30 just didn't work out.

13. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

I have the Haze 15 and its up for sale in the Emporium. I too have played all 3 of the heads mentioned by the OP and IMO the Haze kills them. Great chimey cleans and a extremely authentic Plexi OD. Since its nearly impossible to find a Haze 15 in a music store to play I would have to question if people are referring to the 15 or the much more common 40 combo. They do sound different. I am only selling to buy a DRRI.

This being said I prefer Marshall and Fender sounds. The NT sounded nice but it isnt a Marshall. The TT is a 1 trick pony to me.

The TT and and NT dont have verb I dont believe. Also the Haze has 2 footswitchable channels which I dont recall if the TT or NT have. Lastly the Haze is a Marshall which is what I wanted. I wanted the old school Plexi sound and it delivers in spades. The fact its made in India is irrelevant.

So the questions you need to ask yourself is:

1) Do i need reverb? Delay, Vibe and Chorus are a bonus and sound good
    2) Do i want a nice clean channel and a really nice OD channel with switching?
    3) Do i want the old school Marshall sound?

If any or all answers are no then you are down to 2 amps to choose from.

14. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I sure wouldn't want any of them as my only/primary amp... but of those, I'd take the Orange. If buying new, I'd definitely ante up for the Dual Terror though. I actually don't think the cleans on the Tiny Terror are terrible through a decent cab but they aren't terribly loud. Rolling the volume back on the guitar definitely goes a long way.

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

you forgot to mention the Haze 15 has no loop either.
    Haze 40 does though :)

But if the 15 is so great why are you selling it ?
    Problem for me with the Haze 15 was it had 6V6 power tubes and therefore did not/could not sound like the EL-34 Plexi or JCM800.
    It has a lot more gain than either and got muddy pretty fast on channel 2 imo.
    I prefered the TT's gain tones
    Another issue for me was the lack of clean headroom - it started to break up with gain on 2/3 on the clean channel.
    Was also much better with humbuckers than single coils.
    I'd expect the Haze 40 to be much better

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  16. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

Matamp mini mat all the way man... Ptp hand wired tonal bliss!!!

IMO blows tt's out of the water...

17. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I have a haze 40 and love it. I own other much more expensive amps but the Haze is a great grab and go small gig combo. I did change the speaker. And it uses el34s. A much bigger tone with cleaner headroom than any 2 el84 amp

18. 11top

11top Member

I know you didn't ask, but the Carvin V3M offers a lot in a lunchbox for under $600.