Tiny west-coast systems

I thought Ripplemaker (West-Coast synth for iPad) was already mentioned, but I guess not:

The developer Bram Bos stated when he wants to take a break from iPad screens to play with West Coast sounds, he reaches for his 0-Coast.

There's also miRack which started as a port of VCVRack to iPad.

adolan

I was waiting patiently (sometimes not :p ) for this to arrive and wow! the wow factor is just HUGE.
Such a unique instrument...I set out to play last night and was up until 3 am (started around 3pm) getting some outrageous stuff out of this. I also bought an EMS VCS 3 card (http://www.portabellabz.be) to give me another oscillator and Whoah! I am going to need a lot more time to dig in but the sounds/possibilities are incredible to say the least (not to mention its a lot of fun!) looking fwd to some years of adventure with this set up. Full disclosure, Buchla is NOT cheap and a bit hard to come by sometimes but its definitely its own thing, Thank goodness Don was so fwd thinking, this is a 1972 design that is still relevant in our touch screen, tiny stupid 1x1" menu diving era of digital yada yada ( I own Ableton and a Push2 so i'm in there as well :p ) But yeah...This all day long :)

dsimon665

Silver Supporting Member
I was waiting patiently (sometimes not :p ) for this to arrive and wow! the wow factor is just HUGE.
Such a unique instrument...I set out to play last night and was up until 3 am (started around 3pm) getting some outrageous stuff out of this. I also bought an EMS VCS 3 card (http://www.portabellabz.be) to give me another oscillator and Whoah! I am going to need a lot more time to dig in but the sounds/possibilities are incredible to say the least (not to mention its a lot of fun!) looking fwd to some years of adventure with this set up. Full disclosure, Buchla is NOT cheap and a bit hard to come by sometimes but its definitely its own thing, Thank goodness Don was so fwd thinking, this is a 1972 design that is still relevant in our touch screen, tiny stupid 1x1" menu diving era of digital yada yada ( I own Ableton and a Push2 so i'm in there as well :p ) But yeah...This all day long :)
that's great. You didn't want the suitcase version? I guess its more flexible with 208/218 modules separate.
208 is so quirky with its own spring reverb. Its a weird modlue!
I purchased the PCB of that VCS3 card, but haven't built it yet.
I'm slowly learning about the 208 (building a "black" clone from the electricmusicstore)

...you probably saw the other portabella products like the 208 hub and toolbox?
you might also know - Todd Barton on YT has a few informative videos on the music easel. Including patches from Allen Strange's user manual
http://toddbarton.com/2017/05/allen-stranges-buchla-easel-manual-a-video-digest/

and this one was cool. I like the way she did the realtime arpeggios and control of a bassline.

Last edited:

adolan

Thanks!

Yeah Todd Bartons stuff I watch and follow, he's a great source of infos for sure!
Kaiytlin and Suzanne Ciani as well are great too.
The Easel with the suitcase currently isn't available and so I figured lemme get this while its available as it may be a while before they put it back in the suitcase.
I spoke to them and they will most likely offer it again also as an addition for those like myself who purchase the Command. That first run of Easels sold out, they will have another run in about 90 days...
Yeah I am getting a Toolbox next and hopefully Papz at portabellabz will have a Hub for the new Easels once he gets his hands on one for measurements :) The VCS card is nuts, I was just bugging out on it, had some Obscured By Clouds vibe going on :p Sooo Good!

I can tell I am going to be in for a long haul here, this was the way for me to stay away from their whole system as I can see myself with an 18 module rack no problem! haha, when I called them to discuss this I went with the Easel and Lem218 which was easier and half the price of say a 259e 266 281 292 or something like that which even used is still like $6k with boat and LEM 218 but who's to say what the future brings, I def want to exp playing in quad sound before I die...bucket list. But they are also going to bring out the OG 200 series soon as well and that I am def interested in, so yeah, plenty of choices out here!!

Congrats on the card and 208 build, thats a pretty intense build on the 208, I can't solder for shite so I can't imaging trying anything like that, but thats awesome, same with the cards, though I have thought about getting the old school 208 program cards and teaching myself to solder a few patches as well :)
You gotta give it to Don, he was very fwd thinking with the Easel, who'd have known ppl would be hacking, cloning etc etc, its quite a cool ecosystem of ppl doing fun stuff for something that is a 1972 design and still current.

dsimon665

Silver Supporting Member
I can tell I am going to be in for a long haul here, this was the way for me to stay away from their whole system as I can see myself with an 18 module rack no problem! haha, when I called them to discuss this I went with the Easel and Lem218 which was easier and half the price of say a 259e 266 281 292 or something like that which even used is still like $6k with boat and LEM 218 but who's to say what the future brings, I def want to exp playing in quad sound before I die...bucket list. But they are also going to bring out the OG 200 series soon as well and that I am def interested in, so yeah, plenty of choices out here!!
I didn't know about them bringing back some of the older modules. Hope they have success with that. as far as quad sound : it does seem intriguing. I got one of the limited edition "Live Quadraphonic" LP's (http://www.cykik.com/quad) and it came with a quad sound decoder. I haven't hooked the decoder up yet though.

With the advent of 360 video, VR, "Ambisonics" etc., I think its possible for quad to be relevant today...even though it doesn't need to be to dig it.

On the eurorack side the Intellijel Planar 2 can do some quad functions...and can also record gestures of the joystick.
I thought it would be cool to see that in a multi-joystick version - kind of like an updated (and even more expensive) Buchla 204.

something to check out : on YT loopop explored a few quadraphonic setups including ableton and VCV rack ("and you get to keep both kidneys" :) ).
in the description on YT, he included a link to the VCV rack patch.

(a) That's awesome and (b) not exactly what I had in mind when I started the thread. ;)

That's sort of the nuclear option when nothing else will do.

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Just only recently got the 0-Coast and 0-CTRL but the pair are a lot of fun. Had for years been trying to get the sounds in my head through traditional subtractive / east coast synths, but had such a hard time getting results that I could be really happy with. Got the 0-Coast first, and found it a lot easier to intuitively find sounds that I liked. I was using it with a KeyStep, but later got the 0-CTRL and, although still experimenting with it, have found the combo to be a great pair. Still learning how to use these, but I find the pair to be really great for experimenting and finding new sounds. (Was going to post a picture, but I forgot how to do this - will look up and post later if I can.)

Trending Topics