Tipping and the Modern Wallet

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Papanate, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I have been running into a personal embarrassment when i traveI these days. I like to tip various service personnel - in no particular order - Housekeeping, Bellstand (When I use them) Floor Service, Lyft, Uber, Floor people who insure my meetings go better than I expect, Curbside Bag Drop etc.. ... The issue I have is I have not been carrying cash for years now - I'm nearly 100% virtual. Even a Starbucks and other runs are paid through Apple Wallet.

Last Week I was at the Omni Shoreham in Washington DC. I wanted to tip housekeeping - called the Front Desk Manager and asked if I could tip on my room (essentially my credit card which is held for incidentals) - they said no. I asked if I could tip anyone in the hotel via credit - they said no. This is the same at most Hotels around the country. When I tell them I haven't carried cash in 10 years they all repeat the snarky bit - 'There's an ATM over there' - I say Snarky because hotel ATMs take $4 off every transaction - that is robbery and super greedy - and should be outlawed IMO - and just due to me needing cash.

I'm just ranting here - oh BTW while Uber and Lyft allow tipping in the App - I like to tip them in Cash because the driver doesn't get taxed on the tip - in the App it goes to income.

So what's the solution - aside from carrying cash - which I don't like to do.

sundog964 likes this.
  2. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

You already know the answer; Tipping is a gratuity intended to be "Off the Books".
    Carry a few bucks,, it's ok.
    Another reason to have cash; What you gonna do if you stop at a garage sale that has a '59 Burst for cheap,,.

B Money, sjruvolo, Scrapperz and 5 others like this.
  3. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

Once a month, go to the ATM and pull out a couple of $20s. I don't like to carry cash either but it works exactly for these types of situations. Still have the money at the end of the month -- no ATM trip.

T Dizz and bsacamano like this.
  4. michael razor

michael razor Member

There is only one solution: Get some $5's and $1's anytime you Travel.
    I carry Cash all the Time-All the Time!!
    When I travel I carry even more even though I use Credit to Pay for everything!!

5. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

For situations where you can only tip in cash, the solution is...to carry some cash. You won't catch a disease from it.

:)

NB_Terry likes this.
  6. AA864

AA864 Member

Wow, just carry cash and stop over thinking it.

Or is this just a humble brag post declaring that you tip service people?

Heinz57Pep, Crowder, NB_Terry and 3 others like this.
  7. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Humble Brag about tipping? HA! I know the solution - got to my bank prior. I just find it annoying.

aynirar27 and 84superchamp like this.
  8. NtS

NtS Member

I'm just ranting here - oh BTW while Uber and Lyft allow tipping in the App - I like to tip them in Cash because the driver doesn't get taxed on the tip - in the App it goes to income.

How do you do this if you don’t carry any cash?

9. Angeln

Angeln Member

Do what I do and use the barter system.

Of course, it can be a little awkward when I'm tipping my cabby 1/64 of a cow.

the_Chris, Mngwa, tnvol and 2 others like this.
  10. drewl

drewl Member

Cash is King.

T92780, orourke and lespaulreedsmith like this.
  11. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

It is annoying. The only real solution is to think ahead and pick up some cash beforehand. Maybe issues like these will help move our society away from tipping.

As for the ATM fee problem, my bank refunds those, so I usually don't think much about that.

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yeah, but cash is so filthy and full of germs. The cloud is sooo much more sanitary. :)

the_Chris and ckfoxtrot like this.
  13. Colnago

Colnago Member

If they don’t accept my method payment I don’t tip. Pretty simple. Eventually they will accept credit card tips.
    I don’t carry cash.

14. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

15. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

I don't like to have any less than $50 in cash on me. Yard sales, flea markets, fruit stands. Them folks don't take plastic.

Everywhere you go today with plastic you can get cash back. Hell even the post office

T92780, Badtone and Mngwa like this.
  16. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

Maybe you could invent an app. May I humbly suggest the Make It Rain app.

[​IMG]

T92780 and Mngwa like this.
  17. onyxrhino

onyxrhino Member

So, you want us to know that you like to tip Uber drivers in cash but you're dismayed that this requires you to have cash?

WTF????

TGP has become so desperate for new ways to tell everyone about their tipping practices that they are now on the verge of forming a singularity.

Scott57, T92780, ixnay and 4 others like this.
  18. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Back to ATM fees; there oughta be a law, flat-out outrageous. When a machine was finally installed in our workplace, i opened a checking account at that bank rather than pay thru the nose every time i needed a few bucks.

i always carry some cash. $20 to $200 almost all the time. I hate to pull a CC at McDonalds.

T92780 likes this.
  19. wetordry

wetordry Member

I keep some cash around like my own virtual atm minus the card. You know...for like tips, and buying stuff.
    It's complicated, but I manage somehow.

T92780, ckfoxtrot and Mngwa like this.
  20. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

Open a Charles Schwab account. Since they don’t have any actual banks, they reimburse ATM fees 100%. Additionally, they don’t charge currency conversion fees for overseas use. Been using Schwab as my main ATM card for over a decade.

Jay K, ckfoxtrot and Papanate like this.