Tips and Tricks Starting Out

FatsoForgotso

Hey dudes,

So I've recently come into a recording set up, somewhat by chance, somewhat by design. Either way, I've got a laptop, interface, DI Box, a couple microphones/stands, and Ableton. I'm familar enough with Ableton to record and edit. However, my set up is in a spare bedroom in my basement with no soundproofing. My experience with micing cabs and setting up sounds prior to recording is basic and only what I've gleaned off from being in the studio before. Basically I'm interested in knowing maybe a couple little things here or there that you guys wish you would have known going into this, especially since this set up isn't in a "true studio". Anything to help me wrap my head around this or get a jump start would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
What I've learned is that recording music is still "recording music." It's not "playing with computer."

It's really easy to fall into thinking you just need to capture a part real quick so you can then begin to manipulate it into something that sounds good. That's backwards. Make good sounds, and capture them accurately.

Tracks that were played well, sounded good in the room and were captured accurately are really easy to mix. Tracks that sound like crap or include mistakes are going to sound bad regardless of how they're processed.

The Funk

What I've learned is that recording music is still "recording music." It's not "playing with computer."

It's really easy to fall into thinking you just need to capture a part real quick so you can then begin to manipulate it into something that sounds good. That's backwards. Make good sounds, and capture them accurately.

Tracks that were played well, sounded good in the room and were captured accurately are really easy to mix. Tracks that sound like crap or include mistakes are going to sound bad regardless of how they're processed.
Exactly. Track like you are going to tape. Then use the tools that a modern DAW provides.

slybird

A tip from the radio, podcast and audiobook world. Make a closet into a recording booth. Works great.

My last closet was a walk-in. The clothing worked great at getting rid of reverb.

My current closet isn't as big. I have a mic'd up 1x12, a couple wool coats hanging, and a music stand in there. I use the cab as a seat for when I am recording vocals or acoustic instruments.

I usually prefer to record instruments direct when possible, even electric guitar. I will EQ the >5k guitar frequencies down in the DAW.

Trending Topics