Tips for Arranging this Mayer / Knopfler / Clapton low gain rig?

Hey guys. So I want to have two reliable setups. One is a big classic rock, Marshall-inspired setup. The other would be a broader rig designed more for backing singer songwriters or plugging a single coil guitar into a Fender amp. I'm thinking John Mayer, Mark Knopfler, post-Cream Clapton, perhaps single coil blues shredders like Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton. Do you guys have any tips for placement, settings on the pedals or perhaps suggesting alternatives to what I've got going on here? I tweak with this stuff all the time but I wouldn't say I'm completely satisfied, so I'd like to hear others' perspectives.

I would say the main issue I seem to be having is that I can't make the compressor work well. Always seems to cut too much volume and then it gets noisy if I turn up the level. Certainly doesn't stack well with my drive pedals. I don't know if it's a placement or settings issue. As a result, the compressor kinda sucks (literally) as a lead tool.

Guitar (Strat or Tele)
-Xotic SP Compressor
-BOSS OS-2 (don't laugh, but I like the warmth, boom and midrange of this thing in lower gain settings. If you can suggest a pedal that does what it does, I'm all ears)
-Ibanez TS-808 (Is there a tubescreamer with more output AND gain?)
-Keeley BD-2
-Strymon El Capistan
-Mission Engineering VM-1
Super Reverb 65 Reissue

I don't really need a wah or any other weird sounds. I really just want to work on getting smooth and full lead sounds both clean and dirty at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Curban

I think a big part of that sound is tube saturation in the power stage, it's not a lot of gain but it certainly helps harmonic content and sustain. Sometimes there's no replacement for an amp that doesn't want to break up and is pushing air.

Thanks for the tips guys. Agh, now I NEED both an optical compressor and that Maxon Pro OD....and I thought I was done for awhile! :oops:

I use both the BD-2 and the TS for their "no gain, boosted level" capabilities. Kinda prefer the TS in that the midrange seems to tame the high end of my guitar and amp. Also has a bit of sustain which I appreciate, but man that Maxon sounds tempting with the internal charge.

DaveKS

I use both the BD-2 and the TS for their "no gain, boosted level" capabilities. Kinda prefer the TS in that the midrange seems to tame the high end of my guitar and amp. Also has a bit of sustain which I appreciate, but man that Maxon sounds tempting with the internal charge.

Well that's kind of what I'm getting at, White Horse MOSFET drive+comp after TS pushing a BD is da' snizzle, I use a kingsley Page but Boss BD is a worthy replacement in that aspect.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom